What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fisher-Harris Released - ???

Kilkenny

Coach
Fish was contracted for 2 years on roughly $800k.

He now leaves that gives us $800k. Given it was unplanned than the club wouldn't of used that money

Kenny
May
Tago

all would of re-signed using the Luai money

So why would the club not have the Fish money to spend?
We’ve been thru this scenario time and time again.

Hasn't mattered previously when there have been huge outgoings there has never been left overs for any big money incomings.

No reason to think any different now. We’re just balancing the books. We’re not the Broncos or the Roosters.

Whatever money is freed up will just be reinvested within And or perhaps a fringe signing or two which could be a good thing if we can find a top quality junior or two.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
We’ve been thru this scenario time and time again.

Hasn't mattered previously when there have been huge outgoings there has never been left overs for any big money incomings.

No reason to think any different now. We’re just balancing the books. We’re not the Broncos or the Roosters.

Whatever money is freed up will just be reinvested within And or perhaps a fringe signing or two which could be a good thing if we can find a top quality junior or two.
This is VERY different Fish was locked in for 2 more years. This is "free' cash we didn't have plans for

Iamback

Coach
This is VERY different Fish was locked in for 2 more years. This is "free' cash we didn't have plans for

yep. It really is that simple. We locked everyone in planning to have Fish for the next 2 years.

We don't have him now so are under by whatever his deal is.

If Turuva goes we also have the $350k we offered him to spend on top of the $700-$800k Fish was on.

Kilkenny

Coach
yep. It really is that simple. We locked everyone in planning to have Fish for the next 2 years.

We don't have him now so are under by whatever his deal is.

If Turuva goes we also have the $350k we offered him to spend on top of the $700-$800k Fish was on.
You should be smart enough to know it is just not that simple.

Players being allowed to leave or let go early has never automatically freed up cap space before so why would it now?

Maybe we will have a million to spend, I hope so, I doubt it, but it would be nice.

Iamback

Coach

Players being allowed to leave or let go early has never automatically freed up cap space before so why would it now?

Maybe we will have a million to spend, I hope so, I doubt it, but it would be nice.

Who have we let go early before?

Everyone who has left. Has done so at the end of their deal so the club has several deals to get done.

This time it is middle of the season and everyone is locked in

Kilkenny

Coach
Stop and really have a think about it
It’s about proper management of the salary cap which is planning often two or more years ahead.

Our success has been built of the back of bringing thru local talent, not high profile expensive recruits, whatever cash is freed up other the money that has been outplayed already on May, Kenny etc should be put into shoring up the talents we have coming thru. There is NRL players in our juniors ranks and that is where we should be investing in my opinion. Maybe that means not winning in 2024 or 2025 but locks in our on going success.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
It’s about proper management of the salary cap which is planning often two or more years ahead.

Our success has been built of the back of bringing thru local talent, not high profile expensive recruits, whatever cash is freed up other the money that has been outplayed already on May, Kenny etc should be put into shoring up the talents we have coming thru. There is NRL players in our juniors ranks and that is where we should be investing in my opinion. Maybe that means not winning in 2024 or 2025 but locks in our on going success.
You're getting closer. The club has been planning for the future then BAM Fish is gone and we have 700k+ per year to spend however we want. The only thing that has to be locked in is a top 30 player on 110k I believe.

Kilkenny

Coach
You're getting closer. The club has been planning for the future then BAM Fish is gone and we have 700k+ per year to spend however we want. The only thing that has to be locked in is a top 30 player on 110k I believe.
I’m simply saying this notion of recruiting David Fafita, or NAS or whatever big name player you want to throw out there is non sensical. We don’t operate that way. I am simply suggesting whatever money has been freed up will be invested strategically, with long term planning, rather than a short term fix. I’m not adverse to a short term fix on the right player, I just don’t think we will go down that path.

Ok so those multiple posts where you argued the point that we won’t have money to sign a JFH replacement you’re now claiming you actually meant we will have it but shouldn’t use it for that purpose?

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I’m simply saying this notion of recruiting David Fafita, or NAS or whatever big name player you want to throw out there is non sensical. We don’t operate that way. I am simply suggesting whatever money has been freed up will be invested strategically, with long term planning, rather than a short term fix. I’m not adverse to a short term fix on the right player, I just don’t think we will go down that path.
Both those options are terrible and not our style

WestyLife

First Grade

Fish was still here for two years as of a week ago so it's impossible the club doesn't have that money available. If they spent it in a week they're worse than my wife's online shopping.

Disagree. Penrith would have money now. Luai and JFH free up 1.5mill. They just lost Spencer and Crighton last year.
Will certainly sign someone established. Atleast around the 400-500k value I'd say.
I don’t think we are disagreeing too vehemently here; I think a 400-500k guy is achievable (I said Grieg earlier) but will probably mean we need to let one of Smith or Henry go. I just don’t think we are in the conversation for a Fifita type (or even Papali’i or Matterson).

I still think JWH would be good if he was doing less minutes and was in our more disciplined system, but I can see why others are allergic to it. He is also unlikely to want to go through a Penrith pre-season. TPJ is another we could reach out to

I also question the narrative we have $1.5m to spend. Since Critta and Spencer left, we have upgraded or extended Martin, Edwards, To’o, Moses, Yeo, May and Tago (probably missing more). Cleary is one of the highest paid in the game and is with us long-term. Our two-time premiership winning hooker #mitchfororigin2025 still needs to be paid, and we are resigned to losing Tito. We have a great core and young talent coming through to supplement it.

Maybe we do, just don’t be shocked when we don’t. We’ve seen it each and every season for the last three seasons. Huge outgoings, no incomings of note. You think we now have a pot of gold all I am saying is it is quite going to be as big as you think.
Agree. Two people leave every year. We have been told that by the club. And it has been almost clockwork.

Maybe it wasn’t planned to be Fish and it wasn’t expected to be next year, but we have been compassionate to a legend of our club that wants to leave. But this allows us to keep someone we wouldn’t have kept in a years time without this money.

mxlegend99

Referee
Fish money is definitely available money in the cap. He isnt leaving at the end of his contract. He is leaving mid contract. We have beennworking our cap under the assumption we had an $800k or whatever it is front rower on the books for the next 2 seasons.

This is different to failing to keep Kikau or Luai etc. who were off contract when we lost them.