What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fittler all but resigned to losing Tupou

nqboy

First Grade
LINK
Glenn Jackson | April 21, 2008

If Roosters fans have woken this morning dirty that their side gave up an eight-point lead to capitulate in the second half against Newcastle yesterday, their day will not get any better from the club's admission they have all but given up on re-signing representative second-rower Anthony Tupou. Coach Brad Fittler last night admitted he was almost resigned to losing one of the last marquee players on the market - effectively handing him to Manly.

"We're pretty much at the stage where we'll most probably lose him," Fittler told Newcastle radio before kick-off yesterday. It's no secret to the boys and no secret to anyone out there. It's a shame because he's a champion bloke. If anyone were to pick him up, I couldn't imagine a better buy this year, next year or years after that."

The post-match horizon had, unsurprisingly, not improved his thinking. "At the moment, the salary cap's very limited," he said. "It's extremely disappointing. He's a fantastic person, and a fantastic player."

Still, Tupou maintained he had not decided where he would head next season, while Roosters boss Brian Canavan was a little less downbeat about the club's chances of retaining their star back-rower. Canavan will pore over the books again today, however it is becoming increasingly clear the Roosters do not have enough funds under the salary cap - certainly not enough to match the sort of offer being waved at the Test back-rower from the Sea Eagles - unless they can shed some high-priced talent quickly. "We'll revisit it again [today]," he said.

But the murky situation involving Tupou was enough for Canavan to call for the scrapping of the current free-for-all transfer system in favour of a post-season window. "We're rushing business decisions," Canavan said, admitting that scenario was evident in Tupou's case. "Often that has a negative outcome for one party or the other."

It was a dog of a day all round for the Roosters, especially for halfback Mitchell Pearce, who started it in the running for a State of Origin jumper but ended it with blood on his boots over the critical game-turning play - a missed touch finder which led to the Knights grabbing the lead in the 74th minute. They never surrendered it.

"It was just one of them things," Pearce said. "I miskicked it, and they scored off the next set. I've just got to learn from it. I said sorry to the boys. What more can I do? There were a lot more mistakes in the game but it was a big thing. I don't feel good about it."

Fittler, though, maintained the best team won on the day. "At times we looked like the stronger team, but at no stage did we look like the more enthusiastic or the hungrier team," he said. "That's where we've won all our games this year, with our attitude. If there was a 50/50 they just grabbed it. They won the fight in nearly everything."

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Manly dont need another backrower, they need a 5/8.

That being said, Tupou has had a solid season so far and hopefully carries it on in 09.

11.Watmough
12.Stewart
13.Tupou

shiznit

Coach
is manly the only club chasing him??
youd have to think that every ckub with abit of cash to spare would be looking at him...
hes a wonderfull player... and his best is probably still to come...

Sood

Juniors
Tupou is a good player, but no way hes worth the 400k that manly have offered him.
I think other clubs agree with this, which is why he hasnt had more interest.

Tom Ace

Bench
I don't want that hack Matuia (sic?) at our club.

Let him go to England and play with his mate Lolesi.

mb63

Juniors
The recruting of Mason & o,Mealy will prove to be very costly for the Roosters.Topou should have been a priority for them.

adamkungl

Immortal
it might be time for fitzy to retire... :( but i still think he has one year left in him. Maybe a big paycut, just for one more year in the red white and blue.

juneauquan

Juniors
I just read somewhere that Manly are no longer in the running for Tupou ... for the life of me I can't remember where I read that, though I am pretty sure it was a news article with quotes from someone at Manly saying they they are sick of talking to/about Tupou and instead will be going after fringe first graders from other clubs.

Now where was that article?

Ahhh found it

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23571346-23214,00.html

"Anthony Tupou looks certain to extend his stay at Bondi Junction following Manly's decision to pull their offer off the table for the Test backrower.

The Sea Eagles are believed to have notified Tupou's manager Darryl Mather, of their decision last week and are now focused on recruiting fringe first-graders, particularly backrowers and halves.

It has been reported Tupou was looking at a $1.4 million deal if he moved to Sydney's northern beaches.

"We're fed up talking about Anthony Tupou," Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said on Sunday.

"The club has to move forward and I've no doubt that we'll hear from a number of player managers this week."

Tupou was reluctant to comment on his future, saying he was yet to make a decision."

Sood

Juniors
It could all be a ploy by the roosters to lower tupou's value and then sign him cheaper.

Snoz

Juniors
How the f**k can Manly afford him?

besides lyon - no one else on huge $$ - orfords contract money got less as years went by.

what about brisbane and storm - none of the following would be on less than $400k in 2009.

Inglis, Smith, Slater

Falou, Lockyer, Hodges

c_eagle

Juniors
The guy is meh at best. Of all the second-rowers we've chased since BK left, he's easily the worst.