What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzgerald delivers sobering message

Pricey

Juniors

Stuart Honeysett June 10, 2006

PARRAMATTA is considering introducing a players' code of conduct to help curb a spate of alcohol-related incidents over the past month.

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald flagged the possibility to The Weekend Australian yesterday following a meeting with coaching staff.
The meeting was organised after rookie winger Jarryd Hayne became the fifth Eels player in a month to be censured for an off-field indiscretion. Hayne was fined $1000 on Wednesday after admitting he gave a woman a playful bite during a team night out at a hotel last weekend.
Fitzgerald said yesterday he was happy with the meeting and another would be scheduled with the players in two weeks, when Nathan Hindmarsh, Timana Tahu and Eric Grothe return from their duties with NSW.
When asked if the club would consider introducing a players' code of conduct, he replied: "That's a possibility. There's got to be plenty of responsibility on them."
The Bulldogs have a tough code of conduct which was strengthened following a police investigation into player misconduct at Coffs Harbour in 2004.
The Belmore-based club also established a leadership group this season which meets regularly with management to discuss areas such as discipline.
Fitzgerald declined to release any specifics of yesterday's meeting, but conceded: "We thought about strategies for the future and we may have to amend some of our policies and procedures.
"We obviously discussed the spate of incidents and sought if anyone had reasons why, given our enviable track record over the last 10 years. We're hoping to minimise any further incidents but you can't control them 24 hours, seven days a week."
Coach Jason Taylor did not want to talk about the incidents that have plagued the club over the past month but said they would not distract the team for tomorrow's match against Melbourne at Parramatta Stadium.
The Eels are languishing in 13th place and face the Storm without their Origin stars, but Taylor said they had not given up hope of making the finals.
The club goes into this weekend on eight points - four wins behind St George Illawarra which rounds out the top eight on 16.
Things might get even tougher if second-rower Glenn Morrison fails a fitness test on an injured knee today.
The Eels have battled to regain the form that carried them to the minor premiership last year and things came to a head last month when coach Brian Smith - who had not been offered a contract past this year - stepped down after 10 years in the job.
Since Taylor took over, the club has managed a 30-20 loss to Penrith, a 22-20 win over Sydney Roosters and an 8-1 loss in atrocious conditions to St George Illawarra last week.
"I was very happy with the effort (last week) but disappointed we couldn't finish it and get the two points because we needed them," Taylor said.
Taylor acknowledged the representative season was a crunch period for most teams and was even more important for his club given the Eels had such a poor start to the year.
"Some clubs are going to be able to take a few losses through this period and say we'll be right when we get our players back, but the problem for us is we don't have enough points on the board so we need to win," Taylor said.
Parramatta has a good chance to upset second-placed Melbourne given that Cameron Smith, Matt King and Dallas Johnson are on Origin duty, Greg Inglis is out injured and Billy Slater was suspended by the judiciary this week.
Storm coach Craig Bellamy is yet to finalise his team, but Steve Turner is expected to replace Slater at fullback while Matthew Bartlett and James Aubusson are in contention to be added to the squad.

Utey

Coach
I thought we were always tough on things like this? Hence our good record.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
i'm surprised to learn that we don't currently have a player code of conduct :?

more wonderful foresight from the big boss? :crazy:

parra pete

Referee
Denis should be ashamed of himself that the players in the Club do not have the social skills to behave themselves and act like normal citizens of a community.
He should be on hand to 'baby them' at all times..
It's ALL his fault and he should be punished........

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eloquentEEL said:
i'm surprised to learn that we don't currently have a player code of conduct :?

more wonderful foresight from the big boss? :crazy:

thats what I thought

parra pete said:
Denis should be ashamed of himself that the players in the Club do not have the social skills to behave themselves and act like normal citizens of a community.

bloody hell, denis, get your act together, mate!

James_Hardie

Juniors
Pricey said:

Stuart Honeysett June 10, 2006

The meeting was organised after rookie winger Jarryd Hayne became the fifth Eels player in a month to be censured for an off-field indiscretion. .

Are we the first team in history to have had more alochol related incidents than wins in a season...

:x

V1er

Juniors
scottyeel said:
They keep saying "the fifth eel" but I don't consider what Hindy did was anything wrong.

thats what i thought when reading the hayne article saying he was the fifth eel, hindmarsh did nothing, he proably cooled the situation.

Delboy

First Grade
Guys, why is there a need for a code of conduct really.
The p;ayers need a sense of responsibilty given the political correctness that is around footballers. If we were getting paid to play, I think we would realise what is acceptable.
Bit tough to blame DF, he wasnt there and to be honest the latest incident was overblown, think what you see at every nightclub. Unfortunately, the person involved had a chance to get on radio with Raaaayyyy, and there you have it

parra pete

Referee
Delboy said:
Guys, why is there a need for a code of conduct really.
The p;ayers need a sense of responsibilty given the political correctness that is around footballers. If we were getting paid to play, I think we would realise what is acceptable.
Bit tough to blame DF, he wasnt there and to be honest the latest incident was overblown, think what you see at every nightclub. Unfortunately, the person involved had a chance to get on radio with Raaaayyyy, and there you have it

E X A C T L Y. If players DON'T understand by now that off field actions are under the microscope..they will NEVER understand...and any code of conduct is NOT going to solve that.
Do YOU have a code of conduct at Your place of employment?????

El Diablo

Post Whore
parra pete said:

Smith is to blame

Nikki

Coach
parra pete said:

At Aussie Post we do, lord knows I have had it thrown at me a thousand times. Of course ours only pertains to what happens in the work place but what these players need to remember is that they have the somewhat unfortunate situation that all public places are their workplace. I think the Code of Conduct would benefit the club moreso than the players. A player crosses too far over a line and it will more than likely cost them their contract.

As for the Hindy thing. It is frustrating me too. It was noted by Caylo himself that Hindy had no involvement in that incident and reported in the same papers that are including him as one of the "five" players. The other thing that frustrates me is that whenever there is a problem within the club the media go running to Hindy, even when he is in Origin camp. As he mentioned over the Jarryd incident "I dont even know the full story" coz the media are too stoopid to realise that he is in not with the club but with the NSW team! :roll:

Just on the 5 Players Count.

Isn't it

1) Eric Jnr (Because he slept un after a night out with the eels)
2) Caylo
3) Timmy
4) Pig
5) Jarryd.

5 Eels , 4 Incidents.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
parra pete said:

Not all of my employers have had one, but the more professional ones do (including a very large multinational).

for all the talk about the Eels being one of the most professionaly run clubs, it came as a surprise that there isn't one in place.

I think we didn't have one because for the past 9 years we had a very strict man in control of the club, and his rule was absolute. You knew not to screw up.

Now things are relaxed, some of the more senior guys have other things on their minds (Children and partners) and it just feels as though the younger ones have been left to their own devices.

Nikki

Coach
MarkInTheStands said:
Now things are relaxed, some of the more senior guys have other things on their minds (Children and partners)

Not that that stopped Caylo, which is probably what disappoints me the most about that situation..

TheParraboy

Staff member
Damm.......

I thought the title of the thread would centre around how the Storm shouldnt be in the comp :lol:

I mean its the customary thing for Fitzy to do when we play them at home :D

Im bitterly dissapointed