What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzgerald v Parramatta

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I accept that through life experience you learn to make judgements of character. I've also learnt that one can be further informed and educated by taking the opportunity to openly and personally discuss issues with those of who one might be in conflict with. It's good for, if nothing else, the soul.

Suity

Agreed....

Tony Bongo

Bench
Suity, through life-experience, once we know what causes the symptoms of a disease, its not that hard to work out what the disease is by the symptoms on-show. Even from a distance we have the ability to assess the cause of chaos by observing the symptoms and those party to it.

When I realised that I was the cause of the symptoms of the disease I then discovered I was also the cure. Looking within I have the ability to not only assess the cause of chaos(and order) but also change it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I believe it says, Thou shalt only post the administrators mates thoughts.

What it says is that the fans can post what they like but you are here for political gain and no other reason, but you already knew that.

parra pete

Referee
"You amaze me. The resilience of you, the fan, amazes me. Silly, innocent, gullible you. The board doesn't give a damn, only you give a damn, you continue to barrack for a city's name on a football jumper, did you ever stop to wonder why?" ----Dick Young, sportswriter

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
"You amaze me. The resilience of you, the fan, amazes me. Silly, innocent, gullible you. The board doesn't give a damn, only you give a damn, you continue to barrack for a city's name on a football jumper, did you ever stop to wonder why?" ----Dick Young, sportswriter

"Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
but in ourselves, that we are underlings".
(Quote Act I, Scene II).
William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

84 Baby

Referee
"Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
but in ourselves, that we are underlings".
(Quote Act I, Scene II). William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar
Except the rest of the play shows that the fault was always in the stars and that everything that tyrannical Caesar, conniving Cassius or noble Brutus did just made their fates even worse

bartman

Immortal
Nothing to do with the current elections, but Fitzy getting some what looks to be deserved bad press, following an alleged conflict of interest.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-emperor-the-pokies-and-a-dramatic-fall-from-grace-20110519-1ev2d.html

The emperor, the pokies and a dramatic fall from grace

Tom Reilly

May 20, 2011

Denis_Fitzgerald-420x0.jpg
The player ... Denis Fitzgerald during his days as ruler of the Parramatta club. Photo: Tim Clayton

Questions remain about the dealings of former Parramatta Eels supremo Denis Fitzgerald, writes Tom Reilly.
DENIS FITZGERALD is known as "the Emperor" of Parramatta. For three decades he was a giant in Sydney's west, running both the football and leagues clubs of the Eels.
Whether Fitzgerald gave himself his imperial nickname or it was bestowed upon him is a matter of debate; certainly the former Australia Test prop from the '70s revels in the moniker, often using it to sign off emails.
And up until two years ago the emperor tag was wholly accurate. A friendly board, chaired by his long-time friend Alan Overton, meant his position as Parramatta chief executive was never challenged. His special status seemed sealed when he was made an officer of the Order of Australia for services to rugby league in 2004.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Parramatta_Leagues_Club-420x0.jpg
The poker machines at Parramatta leagues club. Photo: Brendan Esposito

Even when the leagues club announced losses of more than $9 million in 2008 and was forced to beg the state government for tax exemptions on its pokies earnings - despite wagering profits of almost $50 million - there were no dissenting voices among directors.
But then, in April 2009, came a board coup that toppled Overton - another Order of Australia officer - and five other directors. It was a dramatic shift of power and brought a Caesar-like downfall; within weeks, the bespectacled Fitzgerald, one of the most recognisable officials in league for a generation, was gone.
The Herald has learnt Overton's signature was on a $39,000 cheque drawn from a Parramatta account which was sent to a law firm representing Mr Fitzgerald in a private defamation case against News Ltd, publisher of The Daily Telegraph.
There are some who question whether Overton should have allowed club money to be used to pay Fitzgerald's legal bill. The Herald understands the cheque was paid after Overton was voted off the board.
Overton last night said: "I certainly did nothing illegal."
"I've led a good honest life and I always acted in the best interests of the club," he said.
The Herald does not suggest Overton acted improperly. Two years on he is poised for a return to the Eels. On Sunday members will vote on whether to make him an honorary life patron of the club in recognition of the 23 years he chaired the board.
But there is unlikely to be any such rapprochement for Fitzgerald, as issues continue to arise of dubious corporate governance during his time in charge of the club.
The Herald has obtained financial documents which show Fitzgerald acquired a substantial number of shares in one of Australia's biggest poker machine provider, Aristocrat, which was subsequently awarded a lucrative contract with Parramatta Leagues club at "the emperor's" encouragement.
Forms lodged with the NSW Office of Liquor Gaming and Licensing show in 2005 he held Aristocrat shares worth more than $1.3 million.
At that time he also had another $1.2 million of holdings in companies which had a commercial relationship with the club; including E Bet gaming systems, the brewer Foster's, Tabcorp and Westpac.
By 2008 the value of Fitzgerald's Aristocrat shares were worth $1.6 million. And it was in that February Parramatta directors decided, despite the losses of the previous year, to replace E Bet as the provider of its poker machines and accompanying IT software.
After discussions between Fitzgerald, the club's IT manager, Shane Richards, and gaming manager, Hugh Perrottet, with Aristocrat, representatives of the gaming company were invited to give a presentation to the board.
During that meeting on February 28, Warran Jowett and Jason McQueen of Aristocrat made a presentation to the board. After the pair left a vote was taken on whether to approve switching to Aristocrat, a deal that would cost the then struggling club more than $2 million.
Board minutes show Fitzgerald did not state his financial involvement in the company, nor did he remove himself from the room when the vote was taken. In fact, the record states: "The chief executive recommended to the board acceptance of Aristocrat's GMS proposal."
Following Fitzgerald's suggestion, the deal was quickly carried. Aristocrat was paid $1,874,183 upfront for its hardware and were guaranteed an annual fee of more than $200,000. Perhaps more importantly, it gave the company a showcase for a new wagering products.
When the Herald asked Fitzgerald last night why he failed to make that disclosure, he said "no comment." He repeated that response to all further questions.

That he supported Aristocrat's technology, without apparent reservation, appears to go against the advice of the club's IT manager. In December 2007 Mr Richards had given his critique of Aristocrat's offering.
He was dismissive of the "untested" technology the company was offering, and said he "would not like to see it installed here first as a test."
He added the Aristocrat system would be "a move backwards from where we are now".
By the time of the report, Fitzgerald already had a relationship with Aristocrat.
Further documents lodged with the Office of Liquor Gaming and Licensing show he enjoyed a nine-day trip to Macau for the for the G2E Asian Gaming conference in June 2007.
Overton also had his trip to the same gaming conference paid for by Aristocrat. And in June 2008 the gaming company again paid for Fitzgerald to attend the conference in Macau.

mickdo

Coach
Hmmm, I wonder if that known campaigner against corruption Ray Hadley will be all over this one?

Outrageous!!!! Overton seemed like a lackey just signing off on everything.
Fitzgerald or his cronies will never be apart of Parra again. I can't believe these alleged rorts!!
Thank God for the new board who have turned our club around financially and made it more fan friendly.

strider

Post Whore
and omg, it wasn't in the telegraph - joshy will have the poos he didn't get first dibs on a fitzy story

Latest posts