What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

EXTREME SHOCK Remember David Moffett? He was the well-known rugby referee of the 1980s, who become a rugby administrator in the 1990s and then CEO of the NRL around the turn of the century. Good bloke with owlish glasses, and an affable chat. I would have picked him as a political moderate. Not any more though, sports fans. New field: Former NRL chief David Moffett, back in the day.CREDIT:ALLSPORT Now living in New Zealand, he made headlines for calling their wonderful Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern – and I am not making this up – “a traitor”. German Chancellor Angela Merkel, meanwhile, was “a thoroughly detestable excuse for a human being”. In an extraordinary exchange I had with him on Twitter this week, he put out the view that the narrative of climate change was all part of a UN conspiracy to take from the wealthy countries and give to the poor countries. You know, the standard-brand toxic sludge sometimes put out there by political extremists. It is all part of David’s new persona as a director of the NZ political party, New Conservatives – which seems to be like our own Australian Conservatives, but without the charm, warmth and humour of Cory Bernardi. I did ask David on Twitter if he’d had a stroke, because I simply can’t put the bloke I knew well with this kind of loony-tunes nonsense, but it’s worse. He actually believes all that stuff. Strange days indeed. Most peculiar, Mama.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/disint...ls-on-in-brissie-i-think-20190125-p50trh.html

taipan

Referee
Maybe just a coincidence ,but two of the biggest most ordinary NRL administrators, were both nerds, also had another thing in common.They are named David.No offence to that name BTW.
My bro is named David.
One liked riding a bike, and the other one was sent off by his superiors on his bike.

FOR no good reason other than I've been thinking about it for months, let's hear it for Aussie rules. After a decade or so of bagging it, and another decade of feeling luke-warm at best, I have finally come to the conclusion that its beauty lies in the fact that it really is the most quintessentially Australian game of all. 1.Despite the name, there don't really seem to be any rules to speak of. At least not very complex ones whereby the only person that truly understands them is the umpire. As a people we've never been too big on rules, and this game isn't either. Ilustration: Edd Aragon" src="https://static.ffx.io/images/$width...auto/afa346107fde130705303874acb5cc9bd39906f5" srcset="https://static.ffx.io/images/$width...auto/afa346107fde130705303874acb5cc9bd39906f5, https://static.ffx.io/images/$width..._2.0/afa346107fde130705303874acb5cc9bd39906f5 2x" style="box-sizing: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: 17px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; border: 0px; display: block; height: auto; text-indent: -9999px; width: 155.562px; position: absolute;"> Ilustration: Edd Aragon 2.Most other sports, and particularly union and league, have an obsession with whether a player, or the ball, did or did not go beyond the boundary line. Not Aussie rules. Even in grand finals no one seems to give a stuff as they scamper right along the line. "Close enough is good enough." Keep going! 3.Every other football code has an offside rule. Not Aussie rules. You're an Australian mate. Go where you damn well please! Advertisement 4. As far as the scoring system goes, every other football code says you either did score, or you didn't. Not Aussie rules, the true sport of "Have a go!" If you get the ball between the two big posts, beauty, take six points. But if you just miss, no worries. You had a go, and you had a bloody good go, so take a point anyway!
Maybe just a coincidence ,but two of the biggest most ordinary NRL administrators, were both nerds, also had another thing in common.They are named David.No offence to that name BTW.
My bro is named David.
One liked riding a bike, and the other one was sent off by his superiors on his bike.
I can relate

I don’t recall him bagging AFL for a decade. In fact he’s been sucking up to it for years as a poorly disguised attempt to flog more crap books in southern markets.

The thing he has been bagging for decades without fail is rugby league.

Not sure what altered universe this bloke thinks he’s living in.