What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/paul-g...of-women/3144f51e-e83d-4427-8c97-ce7ddf3b0dc0

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F35ad2899-4f35-4d63-b530-c3fca98cbf59
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F35ad2899-4f35-4d63-b530-c3fca98cbf59

Cronulla legend Paul Gallen has reacted angrily after being asked why NRL players have an “appalling” record with the treatment of women.

Rugby league’s attitude towards women has been thrust back on to the agenda after the Penrith sex tape scandal, plus an aggravated sexual assault charges against Dragons forward Jack de Belin and clubless star Jarryd Hayne, a domestic assault charge against Manly’s Dylan Walker, and a life ban for Ben Barba over an alleged act of domestic violence.
FitzSimons: “I like rugby league.”

Gallen: “You don’t.”

FitzSimons: “But can you deny that (the game’s poor record with women)?”
Speaking on Sports Sunday, Peter FitzSimons asked Gallen the following question.

“Why do NRL players have such an appalling record – leaving the current cases out of it, looking back over the last 10 years – with women?”

Gallen, a married man with young daughters, replied: “Fitzy, I take offence to that. Let’s not let your agenda against rugby league be brought into this.”
Gallen: “I think you’re using women in a bad way there. Unfortunately, there’s one woman killed every week in domestic violence. That’s not NRL players. That’s society. The problem in society against women is an issue and it’s something that I sit very strongly here about; I can’t stand violence against women.

“If you’re an NRL player who has been done and you guilty of an offence against a woman, out them for life. I totally am there for that. But don’t try to bring NRL players in that we’re the ones who are doing all this to women. We’re not.”

Gallen said that he was a supporter of the NRL’s ‘no fault’ stand-down policy. However, he said he did not feel as though de Belin should have been sidelined by the league as he fronted court.

Sports Sunday panellist and Olympic gold medallist Liesel Jones said that she felt the NRL’s stand-down policy was “rash”, “reactive” and ill thought-out.

FitzSimons disagreed.

“An absolute no-brainer. They’ve had the summer from hell,” FitzSimons said.

“They cannot go on, particularly with the record against women. There is no way around it: the NRL’s player record in interactions with women is appalling, and it cannot go on.”

Gallen said while he did not agree with NRL intervention on de Belin, he thought that the NSW Origin forward being sidelined was ultimately the right outcome.

“I’d like to think [the Dragons] probably wouldn’t [play him],” Gallen said.

“I think it should be left up to the clubs and the player. Can Jack de Belin honestly, in what he’s facing, can he turn up to an away game, or any game at this stage, walk into a ground and play to the best of his ability and do the job for the team?

“NRL fans are absolutely ruthless and vile in some of the things that they say. He will be absolutely torn to shreds. Can he go out and do his job? I doubt it, I actually doubt it.

“If I was the Dragons and Jack de Belin, I’d probably stand myself down.

“I totally understand what the NRL are trying to do and I actually agree with a lot of it, but just in this particular case, it’s word versus word.”

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/scg-tu...tzsimons/44acef96-369c-4f57-8039-72beec54c0c7

The shocking state of the Sydney Cricket Ground has been slammed by former Wallaby Peter FitzSimons.

Last weekend's Super Rugby match saw the SCG surface completely torn up by the scrums, forcing grounds staff to hurriedly re-lay over 3,000 square metres of new turf before the NRL season kicks off with the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs on Friday night.

FitzSimons has been highly critical of the NSW government's plans to knock down and rebuild Allianz Stadium - the regular home ground of Sydney rugby league games - but said he took "no joy" from seeing sports and its athletes suffer as his argument to keep the Sydney Football Stadium is reinforced by ongoing issues.

"Someone has stuffed up big time," FitzSimons said.

"It's hopeless.

"What you want is a contest and to have people run around and not bust their ankles and not fall over, and you want to be able to set a scrum.

“I take no joy out of it at all. I do wonder, I mean they've known for six months or a year that they were going to have to use the SCG. You'd think they'd make sure the turf's good.

"I mean it's just a no-brainer. I don't understand."

FitzSimons said he was stumped at how the SCG and its staff, could let the turf get in such a state, knowing that there would be increased traffic there as a result of the Allianz Stadium rebuild. He questioned whether the new turf laid would adequately hold up.

"It looked like a thin layer of turf over Bondi Beach, didn't it? How you can get turf secure enough, strong enough to withstand it in four days, I don't know," FitzSimons said.

Ahead of the NRL season opener, Roosters captain Boyd Cordner made an effort to downplay concern from the public and fans, and talked down any suggestions that the team are worried about the potential for injury on the loose turf.

"It's an iconic ground and it's our home for the next three years so I am not concerned at all," Cordner said.

"The groundsmen are pretty confident it will be in good shape and we're just going to be concentrated on winning a game of football.

"I know there is a big issue with player welfare and everything like that, but at the same time they are professionals who look after the ground and we have our full faith and trust in them."

Roosters' star halfback Cooper Cronk took comfort in his belief that rugby union was more likely to cause turf damage than the NRL.

"People are paid to do a job and I have faith in them," Cronk said.

"I don't think rugby league has contested a scrum for over 25 years, so I don't think there will be any issues."

Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook, who debuted at the SCG in 2013, said team managers had inspected the pitch this week and assured players the ground was safe.

"We saw a few photos of [the pitch] … staff checked it out and said there were no issues and that the field would be fine come Friday night," he said.

"But you always take two different sets of boots to games and just see how it is."

The SCG Trust has assured all three codes that the ground will be restored before this weekend's games.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Well he blamed the ground staff at least. I thought it was going to be the nrls fault the union players ripped the turf up

taipan

Referee
Interesting ,the young guy charged with a serious offence at a Mosman Pool ,was a former student of Fitzhead's old school Knox.That same school had issues in the past with a couple of teachers.

My point is NRL players are part of society ,a few go outside society's laws, the overwhelming majority are decent citizens.Bandana head just cannot grasp the fact.His hatred of rugby league influences any debate involving the game.

And I'm not making excuses for any NRL player who does ,is found guilty.He is gone from the game pronto and for evermore.Barba's decision was the right one.

Pedge1971

First Grade
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/scg-tu...tzsimons/44acef96-369c-4f57-8039-72beec54c0c7

The shocking state of the Sydney Cricket Ground has been slammed by former Wallaby Peter FitzSimons.

Last weekend's Super Rugby match saw the SCG surface completely torn up by the scrums, forcing grounds staff to hurriedly re-lay over 3,000 square metres of new turf before the NRL season kicks off with the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs on Friday night.

FitzSimons has been highly critical of the NSW government's plans to knock down and rebuild Allianz Stadium - the regular home ground of Sydney rugby league games - but said he took "no joy" from seeing sports and its athletes suffer as his argument to keep the Sydney Football Stadium is reinforced by ongoing issues.

"Someone has stuffed up big time," FitzSimons said.

"It's hopeless.

"What you want is a contest and to have people run around and not bust their ankles and not fall over, and you want to be able to set a scrum.

“I take no joy out of it at all. I do wonder, I mean they've known for six months or a year that they were going to have to use the SCG. You'd think they'd make sure the turf's good.

"I mean it's just a no-brainer. I don't understand."

FitzSimons said he was stumped at how the SCG and its staff, could let the turf get in such a state, knowing that there would be increased traffic there as a result of the Allianz Stadium rebuild. He questioned whether the new turf laid would adequately hold up.

"It looked like a thin layer of turf over Bondi Beach, didn't it? How you can get turf secure enough, strong enough to withstand it in four days, I don't know," FitzSimons said.

Ahead of the NRL season opener, Roosters captain Boyd Cordner made an effort to downplay concern from the public and fans, and talked down any suggestions that the team are worried about the potential for injury on the loose turf.

"It's an iconic ground and it's our home for the next three years so I am not concerned at all," Cordner said.

"The groundsmen are pretty confident it will be in good shape and we're just going to be concentrated on winning a game of football.

"I know there is a big issue with player welfare and everything like that, but at the same time they are professionals who look after the ground and we have our full faith and trust in them."

Roosters' star halfback Cooper Cronk took comfort in his belief that rugby union was more likely to cause turf damage than the NRL.

"People are paid to do a job and I have faith in them," Cronk said.

"I don't think rugby league has contested a scrum for over 25 years, so I don't think there will be any issues."

Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook, who debuted at the SCG in 2013, said team managers had inspected the pitch this week and assured players the ground was safe.

"We saw a few photos of [the pitch] … staff checked it out and said there were no issues and that the field would be fine come Friday night," he said.

"But you always take two different sets of boots to games and just see how it is."

The SCG Trust has assured all three codes that the ground will be restored before this weekend's games.

Love Fletch's take on the SCG grass on the Matty Johns Show tonight.

Felt like a nice whack for Shitzy and his like...

He talks about concussion...................

VZZFm7z.gif

......................................................................................................................how ironic.

Reactions: gUt

taipan

Referee
He talks about concussion...................

VZZFm7z.gif

......................................................................................................................how ironic.

If he'd been wearing the red bandana, this king hit wouldn't have happened.The French player would have taken pity on him, for being one screwdriver short of a TOOLkit.