What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

Colk

First Grade
Fitzys article's are always about league needing to stick in its lane, recently he's written.

The 18th team should be the bears, why expand when you can have another team in Sydney heart land

Pacific cup needs to be scrapped. Won't work.

Don't bother going to Vegas ( 3 articles about this )

World Cup should be played in NSW/QLD, why bother listening to bids from South Africa, NZ or Qatar

Like all union fans, he just wants league to stay in it's lane and be played in Penrith, Hull, Logan and south Auckland lol

That’s the most egregious example

Vee

First Grade
Never gets old . It's a beautiful image for describing being decked, reamed , or receiving a fist sedative.
FitzMctool is a male version of an obnoxious Karen.
I loved it but tbf it's a coward punch from a cheese eating backward marching flog or whatever the quote is.

I don’t much about golf but FitzSlime had a massive crack at Cam Smith and LIV etc. and how his form has dived.
This is the Masters leaderboard. Our Cam done good? Dinkum fair crack from the Aussie battler? Bring it in close. Gather round and take a gander cause I’m not sure.

IMG_6603.jpeg

taipan

Referee
Can we charge pirate Pete on terror related chargers
No I'm more inclined to charge him with insurrection, trying to take over governments with his no new stadiums policy and his continual telling politicians what to do.And of course his continued denial of RU stealing RL assets in France during WW2 and never being returned. On that basis I'd throw in treason.

Last edited:

Penrith fan

Juniors
The more I hear from James Graham the more I like him.

Don’t make this political. I lean centre-left politically and I think Bandana Head is a first class flog.

Left or right…there are flogs on both sides who are almost universally treated with contempt. Pete the Pirate and Scomo being two notable examples.
yes, it's not a left or right issue.

its about authoritarian v libertarian

And Fitz is a mouthpiece for the current authoritarian regime, which is both big business, big government, mainstream media, big Pharm, the Military Complex and big Tech, all coming together to try and indoctrinate us plebs to the way we should think. All these areas are making money off each other.

Meanwhile everyday people are being. Left out as house prices increase, inflation spirals up and the Australian Dream is dying right in front of us.

Why doesn't Fitzsimmons use his platform to comment on that.

You know, issues that the so-called left used to care about.

Like the Working Class Man.

King hit

Coach
The more I hear from James Graham the more I like him.

Don’t make this political. I lean centre-left politically and I think Bandana Head is a first class flog.

Left or right…there are flogs on both sides who are almost universally treated with contempt. Pete the Pirate and Scomo being two notable examples.
Check out his bye round podcast. The interview episodes are outstanding.

Penrith fan

Juniors
Did you see Fitzsimmons slagging off Aggers the England Cricket commentator who has been BBC correspondent for 30 years today over the term Batters.

Fitzsimmons thins his opinion is the only one that people should have.

I hate him.

taste2taste

Juniors
Fitzy has been quick to criticise sports and players that take middle East money.

Let's see if he writes a big article critiquing Union If they take up Qatar's offering of 800m to host the Rugby Championships

Hooked

Juniors
Could you please cut n paste for us blebs who don't have an subscription?

Here you go

Peter FitzSimons is hurting the concussion cause, not helping it​

Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer
May 3, 2024 — 5.05am

There is nothing quite as boring as columnists trading barbs in their allocated space in their own newspaper over a particular issue.
Media writing about media: such self-indulgent gibber.

But when colleague Peter FitzSimons writes a piece as condescending and personal as the one published online by the Herald on Thursday, well, you’ve got to fight, for your right, to party.
FitzSimons took exception to my column on Monday about the debate kicking around in the NRL concerning the kick-off and how it should be banned to avoid concussions; a debate that came into sharper focus on Anzac Day when St George Illawarra centre Moses Suli suffered a head clash with Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and didn’t return.

My argument, essentially, was Suli was concussed from a kick-off, not because of it, and that if we’re going to ban them we may as well ban long drop-outs or any other kick in general play in which the ball hangs in the air and defenders come rushing through.
Whenever I write about concussion, I endeavour to bring some balance and nuance to a serious debate. I appreciate how sensitive it is, not just to the players and their families, but also the clubs who care for them.
James Tedesco is treated for concussion after Bailey Simonsson’s high shot.

James Tedesco is treated for concussion after Bailey Simonsson’s high shot.Credit: Getty Images

I talk to those at the coalface, particularly coaches, many of whom believe tackle technique is a key but forgotten issue.
FitzSimons decided to ridicule the column, along with Dragons coach Shane Flanagan, who I quoted.

As his long-time colleague, it hurt but didn’t surprise. He does these things to most people who offer a contrary or slightly different position to him on concussion.
He has been relentless. He lectures players, most recently Roosters captain James Tedesco, about retiring. He’s slammed clubs, coaches, and commentators.

His constant take-downs of former Bulldogs captain James Graham, who has talked openly about his own concussion issues in a well-meaning podcast with The Australian, have become tedious.
It’s too much. Rugby league people are growing tired of being positioned as out-of-touch bogans who don’t care about their own.

We’re told to look at the likes of Steve Mortimer, Wally Lewis, George Piggins, Mario Fenech, Paul Green and others, all of who are suffering – or suffered – some form of dementia, as proof that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) exists.
Oh, we’re all more than aware that it exists. We know these people personally and know of their struggles.

‘Rugby league people are growing tired of being positioned as out-of-touch bogans.’

We’re told that the game is about to be litigated into oblivion if it doesn’t get serious about concussion.
We’re aware of that one, too. Barely a month goes by when an ambulance-chasing solicitor doesn’t reach out to me, hoping to convince former players to join a class-action against the NRL.

We’re told that the concussion protocols aren’t enough, to which I ask: are you people watching the game? Do they see how often players are leaving the field for head injury assessments? The players who don’t return? Who are stood down? Who are retiring early?
I’m not sure how many clubs, coaches, players, and officials to whom FitzSimons speaks, but I talk to them all day, every day, and I can assure you the issue is foremost in their minds.

He preaches about concussion. These people are living with it.
When you cover the game for long enough, the young players you reported on 30 years ago become middle-aged men with wives and kids and they become your friends.

I see and hear evidence of CTE in those players regularly. The slurred speech, the memory loss, the erratic and impulsive behaviour. They know it. They’re not fools.
One former player, who I won’t name, reckons CTE is a myth. At a recent lunch, he told me the same story three times. I worry about him immensely.
How dare someone accuse us of not caring about these people, our mates, just so they can fill column inches to prove they’re right and we’re wrong.
I’ve also come to understand that CTE can be a lottery. I speak to someone like Souths and Canterbury legend Bob McCarthy, who at 77 remains so clear of mind he can recall the colour of the electrical tape wrapped around an opponent’s head in the 1970s, but despairs about how many of his former teammates and foes don’t recognise him when he visits them in a nursing home. He wonders how he’s OK and they are not.

I wrote a book about his former coach, Jack Gibson, who I visited in the final weeks of his life at an aged-care facility in Sydney’s south, watching on as his wife, Judy, kissed him on the forehead even though he had no idea who she was. It was heartbreaking.

So, too, was the day I stood a metre from Roosters captain Boyd Cordner as his bottom lip quivered at his retirement media conference. His teammates present that day teared up with him.
The Roosters were flogged as heartless pricks for not making him quit sooner, their care for their player dismissed because it didn’t fit a particular narrative.

Then there’s my own grandfather, Hector Maxwell Gould Webster, who played rugby league, fought in a war, laid bricks, built houses and bought his beer by the pallet. He died of dementia.
So, in summary, we get it Fitz.

You hang your journalistic hat on your coverage of concussion and that’s fair enough. You were the first and that will never be forgotten. You deserve credit for fighting the good fight.
But wouldn’t it be more effective to bring people with you on this concussion journey, instead of continually belittling them?

taste2taste

Juniors
Here you go

Peter FitzSimons is hurting the concussion cause, not helping it​

Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer
May 3, 2024 — 5.05am

There is nothing quite as boring as columnists trading barbs in their allocated space in their own newspaper over a particular issue.
Media writing about media: such self-indulgent gibber.

But when colleague Peter FitzSimons writes a piece as condescending and personal as the one published online by the Herald on Thursday, well, you’ve got to fight, for your right, to party.
FitzSimons took exception to my column on Monday about the debate kicking around in the NRL concerning the kick-off and how it should be banned to avoid concussions; a debate that came into sharper focus on Anzac Day when St George Illawarra centre Moses Suli suffered a head clash with Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and didn’t return.

My argument, essentially, was Suli was concussed from a kick-off, not because of it, and that if we’re going to ban them we may as well ban long drop-outs or any other kick in general play in which the ball hangs in the air and defenders come rushing through.
Whenever I write about concussion, I endeavour to bring some balance and nuance to a serious debate. I appreciate how sensitive it is, not just to the players and their families, but also the clubs who care for them.
James Tedesco is treated for concussion after Bailey Simonsson’s high shot.

James Tedesco is treated for concussion after Bailey Simonsson’s high shot.Credit: Getty Images

I talk to those at the coalface, particularly coaches, many of whom believe tackle technique is a key but forgotten issue.
FitzSimons decided to ridicule the column, along with Dragons coach Shane Flanagan, who I quoted.

As his long-time colleague, it hurt but didn’t surprise. He does these things to most people who offer a contrary or slightly different position to him on concussion.
He has been relentless. He lectures players, most recently Roosters captain James Tedesco, about retiring. He’s slammed clubs, coaches, and commentators.

His constant take-downs of former Bulldogs captain James Graham, who has talked openly about his own concussion issues in a well-meaning podcast with The Australian, have become tedious.
It’s too much. Rugby league people are growing tired of being positioned as out-of-touch bogans who don’t care about their own.

We’re told to look at the likes of Steve Mortimer, Wally Lewis, George Piggins, Mario Fenech, Paul Green and others, all of who are suffering – or suffered – some form of dementia, as proof that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) exists.
Oh, we’re all more than aware that it exists. We know these people personally and know of their struggles.

We’re told that the game is about to be litigated into oblivion if it doesn’t get serious about concussion.
We’re aware of that one, too. Barely a month goes by when an ambulance-chasing solicitor doesn’t reach out to me, hoping to convince former players to join a class-action against the NRL.

We’re told that the concussion protocols aren’t enough, to which I ask: are you people watching the game? Do they see how often players are leaving the field for head injury assessments? The players who don’t return? Who are stood down? Who are retiring early?
I’m not sure how many clubs, coaches, players, and officials to whom FitzSimons speaks, but I talk to them all day, every day, and I can assure you the issue is foremost in their minds.

He preaches about concussion. These people are living with it.
When you cover the game for long enough, the young players you reported on 30 years ago become middle-aged men with wives and kids and they become your friends.

I see and hear evidence of CTE in those players regularly. The slurred speech, the memory loss, the erratic and impulsive behaviour. They know it. They’re not fools.
One former player, who I won’t name, reckons CTE is a myth. At a recent lunch, he told me the same story three times. I worry about him immensely.
How dare someone accuse us of not caring about these people, our mates, just so they can fill column inches to prove they’re right and we’re wrong.
I’ve also come to understand that CTE can be a lottery. I speak to someone like Souths and Canterbury legend Bob McCarthy, who at 77 remains so clear of mind he can recall the colour of the electrical tape wrapped around an opponent’s head in the 1970s, but despairs about how many of his former teammates and foes don’t recognise him when he visits them in a nursing home. He wonders how he’s OK and they are not.

I wrote a book about his former coach, Jack Gibson, who I visited in the final weeks of his life at an aged-care facility in Sydney’s south, watching on as his wife, Judy, kissed him on the forehead even though he had no idea who she was. It was heartbreaking.

So, too, was the day I stood a metre from Roosters captain Boyd Cordner as his bottom lip quivered at his retirement media conference. His teammates present that day teared up with him.
The Roosters were flogged as heartless pricks for not making him quit sooner, their care for their player dismissed because it didn’t fit a particular narrative.

Then there’s my own grandfather, Hector Maxwell Gould Webster, who played rugby league, fought in a war, laid bricks, built houses and bought his beer by the pallet. He died of dementia.
So, in summary, we get it Fitz.

You hang your journalistic hat on your coverage of concussion and that’s fair enough. You were the first and that will never be forgotten. You deserve credit for fighting the good fight.
But wouldn’t it be more effective to bring people with you on this concussion journey, instead of continually belittling them?

Geeez, to be a fly on the wall at the smh offices.

Latest posts