What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five added to Roo squad

JJ

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
RLW asked Bob McCarthy and he said the likes of Grothe/Prince/Hodgson etc. would not be considered for whatever reason. He's also said reputation counts more than form when selecting the squad. That's how hacks like Luke Lewis get in I suppose.

Lewis has a reputation??? I'm still trying to work out what people see in that guy... the number of tackles he falls off is astonishing.. the footage of Sattler's tackle keeps getting shown, we should all take note of who Byrne brushed off...

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
no...no i wouldnt.
I would have 2 Broncos in the team and thats Lockyer and Petero
I would have Grothe on one wing and Tahu on the other
King and Gas as the centres

Happy???

I'm not!!!

King should play wing if he's in the team... Cooper or Tahu the other centre... but aside from that I'm ok with it

HevyDevy

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
RLW asked Bob McCarthy and he said the likes of Grothe/Prince/Hodgson etc. would not be considered for whatever reason. He's also said reputation counts more than form when selecting the squad. That's how hacks like Luke Lewis get in I suppose.
Actually it was Big League.

Anyway, Hodges deserves his spot. Injury made him a passenger yesterday but they had to risk him - he's been crucial to Brisbane this season. Ranks second for average metres gained and Brisbane like to play through their centres. That's one reason they've struggled recently - Berrigan has been woeful.

I think those are good choices and show there is some integrity in the selection process for Australia. Civ and Lockyer were certainties because they have been two of our best this season, along with Webcke and surprisingly Hodges.

Hodges would've seriously pushed for a centre spot with Gasnier if he wasnt injured. Yesterday he wasn't that great but he was injured, and playing on the wing. He has played his best in the centres this year. Next year Berrigan will be moved from the centres for sure.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
no...no i wouldnt.
I would have 2 Broncos in the team and thats Lockyer and Petero
I would have Grothe on one wing and Tahu on the other
King and Gas as the centres

Happy???

Maybe you should be a selector then.

But Tate should NOT be there, he's had an oustanding last 4 or so games, but for the rest of the year he was doing nothing. Hodges has been injured but before that was playing well, so it's hard to fault his selection.

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
I'm not!!!

King should play wing if he's in the team... Cooper or Tahu the other centre... but aside from that I'm ok with it

King, Grothe, Tahu should be in the team....positions is up for debate

JJ

Immortal
I'm really looking forward to the possibility of seeing Johns and Lockyer play half and 5/8 - I think they'll compliment each other pretty well

Mr Saab

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
Maybe you should be a selector then.

But Tate should NOT be there,he's had an oustanding last 4 or so games but for the rest of the year he was doing nothing. Hodges has been injured but before that was playing well, so it's hard to fault his selection.

We dont know if Tate will be there...remember this is a train on squad only. There are already 21 players in it with still 4 teams alive in the semis.

And to All those people that said Bennett has too much power...well do you think he does now? No Berrigan, No Carroll. They are his "boys" afterall so many of you say and they are not even being considered for selection.

skeepe

Immortal
Carroll has torn his hamstring. It's debatable whether he would have been selected or not if he was fit. I hate to say it, but Carroll has been in good form lately and wouldn't have looked out of place in the train-on squad.

jimmy_pop

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Matt King is the only one who deserves to be there of that lot. Maybe Hodges aswell.

Tate has a couple of good games at the end of the year and makes the squad, yet Grothe has been outstanding all year but will miss it (and they have said he will not be considered because he hasn't played Origin). Civoniceva hasn't done anything, and Lockyer has been very ordinary lately, teams have figured him out and he's out of five-eighth tricks.

shut up parrapoof. hodges sh*ts all over grothe. the only parra player that should be in the squad is nidmarsh

Pigskin

Juniors
skeepe said:
Carroll has torn his hamstring. It's debatable whether he would have been selected or not if he was fit. I hate to say it, but Carroll has been in good form lately and wouldn't have looked out of place in the train-on squad.

Carroll and Shaun Berrigan were in competition for the worst fadeout of the entire squad ... he has been worse than ordinary ... and the worst part is, we signed him for 3 years mid-season :?

Oink !

skeepe

Immortal
Hmm. In the first half yesterday Carroll was very dangerous. I must admit I haven't watched Broncos games closely the last few weeks and assumed his form was at more or less the same level the whole time.

jimmy_pop

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
No, Berrigan is just ordinary and the selectors recognised this (finally).
berrigan chops up any parra twig centre (which is all of them) and you know it!

HevyDevy

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
Sorry about that, was too mad at the article to realise which magazine I was reading :lol:.

haha, I'm surprised they won't even consider Prince

ozboy

Juniors
I felt sorry for Justin Hodges yesterday.

The poor fella had to play outside Shaun Berrigan, and did not once recieve a pass from one of the worst centres in the NRL.

Humphrey

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Hodges was a passenger yesterday. Glad he played.

Hodges had a shocker as did Tate overall. Disappointing inclusions but you guys have a hack coach who picks old style squads - just look at the Broncs this year and pray to the league-gods that the actual team reflects the modern style of play with youth and flair, But I dont see it if bennett picks it - those guys will be in it for sure or he wouldnt have picked them

kickback

Juniors
Buderus, Craig Gower, Luke Lewis, Craig Wing all should not be there> they have all been in the worst form of the careers>> they could not even make the 8!!! Buderus has got to be the most over rated player to ever play the game!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think Hodges should make the squad. I am a big fan. I realise Cooper is a certainty but I'm not such a big fan of him, I think Hodges has more to offer ball in hand....

Also on Berrigan, it seems everyone is bagging him. I'd just like to point out that he still amazes me (and did yesterday) with his strength. Perhaps he did a lot of other things wrong but you have to be impressed with how hard he is to tackle.

Latest posts