What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five added to Roo squad

Mr Saab

Referee
Humphrey said:
Hodges had a shocker as did Tate overall. Disappointing inclusions but you guys have a hack coach who picks old style squads - just look at the Broncs this year and pray to the league-gods that the actual team reflects the modern style of play with youth and flair, But I dont see it if bennett picks it - those guys will be in it for sure or he wouldnt have picked them

tate played very well. He was the only back that did something.
Sure he bombed a try when he didnt pass to Minto, but i dont blame him there...Minto would of bombed it anyway.

The Colonel said:
Five added to Roo squad
September 19, 2005

MELBOURNE winger Matt King and Brisbane's Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Justin Hodges were today added to the Australian train-on squad for Tri Series.

The five were included after their teams were eliminated from the NRL finals at the weekend, bringing the squad to 21.

They join Craig Fitzgibbon, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Wing, Willie Mason, Mark O'Meley, Andrew Ryan, Steve Price, Joel Clinton, Craig Gower, Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney, Trent Waterhouse, Danny Buderus, Andrew Johns, Steve Simpson and Ben Kennedy.

AAP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16648742-23210,00.html

Tate being there is nothing short of a disgrace his not even one of the better centres in the bronco's let alone the NRL.

If he makes the final team I'll be filthy.

Kiwi

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
I think Hodges should make the squad. I am a big fan. I realise Cooper is a certainty but I'm not such a big fan of him, I think Hodges has more to offer ball in hand....

Also on Berrigan, it seems everyone is bagging him. I'd just like to point out that he still amazes me (and did yesterday) with his strength. Perhaps he did a lot of other things wrong but you have to be impressed with how hard he is to tackle.

Thats why we need to move him to lock and get him running off the other forwards and off inside balls from our halves.

bluesbreaker

Bench
kickback said:
Buderus, Craig Gower, Luke Lewis, Craig Wing all should not be there> they have all been in the worst form of the careers>> they could not even make the 8!!! Buderus has got to be the most over rated player to ever play the game!

:lol: And you follow the Broncos right? Buderus has been in sublime form.

HevyDevy

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
I think Hodges should make the squad. I am a big fan. I realise Cooper is a certainty but I'm not such a big fan of him, I think Hodges has more to offer ball in hand....

Also on Berrigan, it seems everyone is bagging him. I'd just like to point out that he still amazes me (and did yesterday) with his strength. Perhaps he did a lot of other things wrong but you have to be impressed with how hard he is to tackle.

My next door neighbour amazes me with his strength too, it doesn't mean be picked for the Kangaroo tour!!! :D

Seriously, I've just read a few of those posts and I have to respond

a) to anyone bagging Brent Tate, try watching games with your eyes OPEN. He really is in superb form after a shocking year with injury.

b) I agree re: Steve Bell but I'd suggest the right centre position is well and truly cemented by Gasnier.

c) I don't rate Cooper as highly as some. He defends well but the likes of Matt King offers far more with the ball in hand. Ryan Cross deserves a chance too.

kickback

Juniors
bluesbreaker said:
:lol: And you follow the Broncos right? Buderus has been in sublime form.

Sorry i must have been watching a different comp, but the one i watched was Newcastle with a big wooden spoon> and Brisbane 3rd!!! get off your high horse buddy!

Buderus = overrated! Priddis is the number 1 hooker>> and has been for some time!

I can understand selecting Buderus, Craig Gower, Luke Lewis and Craig Wing.

Buderus is still the best hooker in the game.

Gower played pretty well nearing the end of the season (And Im his biggest critic) and he has played half, hooker and 5/8th at Test level and played VERY well as a halfback when paired with darren Lockyer.

Luke Lewis is a very handy utility back. he can play center or wing at rep level. He is a player that is a safe option to select and he has alot of experience when compared to some of the alternatives.

Wing is another very handy utility player to have. He can come off the bench and play at hooker or in the halves.

I have to say....I really hope Robbie Farrah gets to tour. I think he is playing brilliant footy right now.

Scott

Bench
HevyDevy said:
My next door neighbour amazes me with his strength too, it doesn't mean be picked for the Kangaroo tour!!! :D

Seriously, I've just read a few of those posts and I have to respond

a) to anyone bagging Brent Tate, try watching games with your eyes OPEN. He really is in superb form after a shocking year with injury.

b) I agree re: Steve Bell but I'd suggest the right centre position is well and truly cemented by Gasnier.

c) I don't rate Cooper as highly as some. He defends well but the likes of Matt King offers far more with the ball in hand. Ryan Cross deserves a chance too.

You make very good sense until your comment on Cross!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
HevyDevy said:

Problem is I had my eyes open ALL year and also saw his hopeless first half and a chunk of the second half of this year. He has only just come good right now, a few good games at the end of the year should not make up for the hopeless start he had.

Bullrider

Juniors
I think that Hodges should be the centre for Australia along side Gasnier. Petro will wear the no. 10 still one of the better props in the NRL. Berrigan is nothing. Tate will tour to cover a number of position including wing, centre, lock. Matt King will be a winger i think after outstanding games for NSW this year. Next year Hodges will be more damaging then Gasnier imo.

kickback

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Problem is I had my eyes open ALL year and also saw his hopeless first half and a chunk of the second half of this year. He has only just come good right now, a few good games at the end of the year should not make up for the hopeless start he had.

He has been injuryed most of the year, so i dont know how you saw him play in the first half, he is a great player and is lucky to be playing footy at all because of his neck injury.

Ghoulies

Bench
kickback said:
He has been injuryed most of the year, so i dont know how you saw him play in the first half, he is a great player and is lucky to be playing footy at all because of his neck injury.
Tate played the first 7 rounds of the season, and I thought he played 'em pretty well too (minus the shocker he had against Melbourne).

I like Brent Tate.

First of all, he has this neck problem that could end his career at any time. Just to keep playing the game shows guts.

He competes hard in every game. Someone he gets the better of his opponents, other times he doesnt. But he compete hard in every game.

When the opposition makes a break.....without fail they will have to deal with Tate coming across in cover defense.

He plays with a great amount of controlled aggression.

I really like Brent Tate. If the Broncos had more players like him they would still be in the finals.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
kickback said:

I didn't know 8 games was most of the year

ozboy

Juniors
First off, it is only a train-on squad. The likes of Luke Lewis and Justin Hodges will not tour, and if by some miracle they do, they will not play a test match.

Secondly, Danny Buderus is the best hooker in the world and one of the top 3 players in the world. You are a delusional fool if you think of him as an over-rated hack.

Thirdly, for me Brent Tate is the most talented centre in the NRL. Over thee next few years, if he stays injury free, he should cement an Australian centre position alongside Mark Gasnier for what could be the next 5 or so years.

bluesbreaker

Bench
kickback said:
Sorry i must have been watching a different comp, but the one i watched was Newcastle with a big wooden spoon> and Brisbane 3rd!!! get off your high horse buddy!

Buderus = overrated! Priddis is the number 1 hooker>> and has been for some time!

:lol: In case you missed it the first time, Buderus is in sublime form.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
nospam49™ said:
Gower played pretty well nearing the end of the season (And Im his biggest critic) and he has played half, hooker and 5/8th at Test level and played VERY well as a halfback when paired with darren Lockyer.

It'll be Johns and Barrett ahead of him as well as prince and thurston. besides he hasnt played that great at 5/8 or 9 at test level

nospam49™ said:
Luke Lewis is a very handy utility back. he can play center or wing at rep level. He is a player that is a safe option to select and he has alot of experience when compared to some of the alternatives.

overated. he seems to have been getting worse over the past few years. Gasnier, Cooper, King, hodges, tate, cross are all ahead of him in the centres as are tahu, grothe, sing and roony on the wings
stu kelly is experienced but i wouldnt pick him

nospam49™ said:
Wing is another very handy utility player to have. He can come off the bench and play at hooker or in the halves.

yes he can play several positions but hasnt played any of them well in the past year. anasta would be a better option off the bench

nospam49™ said:
I have to say....I really hope Robbie Farrah gets to tour. I think he is playing brilliant footy right now.

agreed. i think the experience alone would really help develop him

Latest posts