What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five added to Roo squad

Gower was Australia's first choice hooker at one point. He also played 5/8th in a serries I believe we won 3-0 in 2003.

Lewis...I agree his form isnt great. But he has REP experience and he still is a very safe option for a coach to go with.

The same with Craig Wing. Yes his form is average....VERY average, and I wouldnt select him, but he is a safe option.

The thing you need to remember is that Australia doesnt have to go out and chase victory. We have to make sure we dont stuff up to the point where we lose games.

Its alot easier to select these type of tryed and tested players because you know what they will give you at test level.

Thats why its so hard for some players to get a run.

Mr Saab

Referee
LF...

Gower was not a 5/8 in all three tests in the 2003 tour. Mick Crocker played 5/8 in 2003 game 3.

I didnt say he was the 5/8th in all three games. I said he played 5/8th during a series we won 3-0.

That year Preston Campbell should have played 5/8th but super coach Chris Anderson decided to tour WITHOUT a 5/8th at all.

ozboy

Juniors
It could also be the time to give some new blood a go on the International stage, as lets face it, there is more chance of Ben Walker being the Australian halfback than there is of Australia losing the Tri Nations this upcoming Summer.

A player like Craig Fitzgibbon shouldn't make the tour as he has been rubbish for about 2 years now and is getting towards the back end of his career, while the likes of Matt Sing shouldn't either as he is at the back end of his career and there are a number of younger players who could easily take his spot and match or even better his past performances.

It is the perfect oppurtunity to expose some youngsters to the rep game.

The likes of Scott Prince, Robbie Farrah, Eric Grothe and Ben Creagh who in most people's opinion are rep stars of the future should all tour just for the experience not necesarilly to play any test matches.

I agree.

I would like to see Farrah, Grothe and King make the side for sure.

I also would like to see Fitzgibbon sit this tour out. With Hindmarsh likely to be back in the side I dont think we need another endurance player (And that about all Fitys offers these days).

I also think Pat Richards could find himself in the side if he keeps playing well. I would have though Rooney would have retained his place just on the fact he was one of our best players in last years Tri Series...but some of these players in the finals series....their form is just to good to ignore.

Big Pete

Referee
Hodges deserves to be selected, yesterday he was coming back from a knee operation and he was selected out of place. Tate also deserves a bit of recognition considering he links well with Lockyer.

Lockyer and Petero will be the only two Broncos selected to go to England though.

While Matt King will also make the trip, considering his form in rep footy and at the Storm team.

ozboy

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
I agree.

I would like to see Farrah, Grothe and King make the side for sure.

I also would like to see Fitzgibbon sit this tour out. With Hindmarsh likely to be back in the side I dont think we need another endurance player (And that about all Fitys offers these days).

I also think Pat Richards could find himself in the side if he keeps playing well. I would have though Rooney would have retained his place just on the fact he was one of our best players in last years Tri Series...but some of these players in the finals series....their form is just to good to ignore.

I wonder what Pat Richards thinks now of the deal he signed with Wigan earlier this year ?

Mr Saab

Referee
ozboy said:
I wonder what Pat Richards thinks now of the deal he signed with Wigan earlier this year ?

he is thinking..i am on 300k a season playing in the ESL.
Money talks.

ozboy

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
he is thinking..i am on 300k a season playing in the ESL.
Money talks.

The way he is playing now he could probably get something close to that in the NRL, with the added incentive that he would have a pretty good chance of earning a rep jumper sometime in thee near future.

Instead, now he has no chance of representing and will waste a good portion of the prime of his career in the wilderness of Northern England.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Am I the only one who has noticed Farah's Clinton Toopi-esque mistake rate in the last 2 games? Especially his dreadful defence.

Mr Saab

Referee
ozboy said:
The way he is playing now he could probably get something close to that in the NRL, with the added incentive that he would have a pretty good chance of earning a rep jumper sometime in thee near future.

no winger in the NRL gets 300k.
Thats why sailor and lote left the NRL to got to the union ranks

ozboy

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
no winger in the NRL gets 300k.
Thats why sailor and lote left the NRL to got to the union ranks

Something CLOSE to that !!

In the region of about 200 grand.

Mr Saab

Referee
i dont know...talk to the tigers CEO Noyce and see what he offered Richards.
The only wingers i know on 200k plus is El Masri and Tahu

pantherz9103

First Grade
kickback said:
Buderus, Craig Gower, Luke Lewis, Craig Wing all should not be there> they have all been in the worst form of the careers>> they could not even make the 8!!! Buderus has got to be the most over rated player to ever play the game!

Bedsy and Gowie played some very good games in the second half of the year. Gower still played well enough to make the top 10 in dally m voting. Lewis was hampered by injury alot this year so we didn't see his best form plus our centres performed like sh*t for most of the year so he received poor ball. Wing did well at origin time but had an off year with the goosters.

Bumble

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
Am I the only one who has noticed Farah's Clinton Toopi-esque mistake rate in the last 2 games? Especially his dreadful defence.

Yes, Yes you are.

Pigskin said:
If Tate, Petero and Locky tour, will be a pretty fair reflection of where we are at

we may have lost 7 straight to end the season - form is temporary, class is permanent ... we did still run 3rd and if 3 were to tour, i would regard that as fair enough

Tate has been in superb form for the last month, not sure if he should be in front of Cooper and Gasnier, but a worthy #3 centre ... can't help but think a full off-season might be better for him long term though

Locky is out of form also, but will be captain

Oink !

King should be the 3rd centre anyway. I know he is being selected as a winger considering his origin form, but he has played centre all year at melbourne and has been outstanding

King & Tate have played well and deserve spots. Lockyer has played very ordinary of late but still should be picked.

I'm not a fan of Civenociva, he has been honest but I believe past his time. As for hodges, I believe that Bennett may have something to do with his choice. Has played well, but there are centres playing better than him, including

Tate, King, Bell, Gasnier, Cooper (aprt from recent injury), Ben Smith (unfortunately wont get picked IMO but would be very handy).

ozboy

Juniors
The thing that I've noticed with Matt King, is that despite being named in the centres he spends more time on the wing than Matt Geyer.

It's almost as if King does play on the wing and Geyer in the centres, its just that when the teams are named Bellamy decides to name them that way for some unknown reason.

D

Deleted member 10972

Tate, Bell & Hodges, along with Cross who, as much as you Rooster haters don't want to admit it, had a brilliant season, should all come into consideration. Berrigan is overrated, offers nothing. He is a support player who is slippy, & thats about it.

Latest posts