What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Walpole

Juniors
Give Mary the responsibility of getting the players to the ground on game days ànd training. Give him a title like "Logistics and Transport Manager" to satisfy his bloated ego and he can use the bus he throws support staff under.
I don't know if he's even the right man to drive the team bus. Wouldn't you need a clean driving record for that gig?

watatank

Coach
Give Mary the responsibility of getting the players to the ground on game days ànd training. Give him a title like "Logistics and Transport Manager" to satisfy his bloated ego and he can use the bus he throws support staff under.

Lol, he'll tell the players to take themselves and anyone who will listen about how he empowered the players to take themselves to training

BLM01

First Grade
I guess you take the negatives and throw in some positives to try and balance the equation. There are a lot of negatives at the moment and the scales are down on the N side.
I know we have heard jack shit from the club as to what is happening with the overall direction they are aiming towards upwards.
Hardly a word from anyone of importance to appease the masses of downhearted followers but hopefully to bring the scale on the P side upwards, we will hear from someone like the CEO (who has gone totally missing in action) in a few weeks time - only hoping.
At least Peter Doust gave interviews to John Stanley - remember that? and we had a thread of Oust Doust going for a long time. That's what is needed again to get Brian Johnstone out of the comfort of his office and face the throng. Like "AWAY BJ".

Welcome to the Dragons media way!. No news.....is...no news!
They think they are keeping things in house which is OK at times but their media dept is one of the worst in the NRL...
We get more decent interesting content and stuff in 4 weeks of the womens NRL comp then we do the whole mens season.............especially reserve grade..(why is that?)

Peter Doust interviewed...ha. For what it is worth it was better to listen to BJ.
Even when you met PD & Pricey face to face which I did some 7 years ago whenlooking to get some support with our rugby league club for players to help with one off training etc.for our seniors...he could not even look you in the eyes...nor could Pricey for that matter
It was like listening to a polli who believes in what he is saying but cant back it up.
and BTW the meeting with Dousty ended up being thanks but we cant really help...go figure.
There and then I knew he was not the person we needed as CEO..

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I guess you take the negatives and throw in some positives to try and balance the equation. There are a lot of negatives at the moment and the scales are down on the N side.
I know we have heard jack shit from the club as to what is happening with the overall direction they are aiming towards upwards.
Hardly a word from anyone of importance to appease the masses of downhearted followers but hopefully to bring the scale on the P side upwards, we will hear from someone like the CEO (who has gone totally missing in action) in a few weeks time - only hoping.
At least Peter Doust gave interviews to John Stanley - remember that? and we had a thread of Oust Doust going for a long time. That's what is needed again to get Brian Johnstone out of the comfort of his office and face the throng. Like "AWAY BJ".

DD,

That's the real problem we fans have with the club. They tell is nothing and treat us with contempt.

They never try to appease us.
There is nil response at the best of times.

Now with have a lame duck CEO who had to be told, what to say, when and if he ever decide to utter and drivel.

Johnston is totally out of his depth in his current role.

A good CEO would at least talk some crap and ad lib somewhat.

Johnston gets into a flap at the mere thought of responding to anything that's happened.

To be a half decent CEO, you need the gift of the gab, Johnston is sadly lacking anything.

Talk about putting square pegs into round holes.

hazzbeen

Bench
DD,

That's the real problem we fans have with the club. They tell is nothing and treat us with contempt.

Now with have a lame duck CEO who had to be told, what to say, when and if he ever decide to utter and drivel.

Johnston gets into a flap at the mere thought of responding to anything that's happened.

To be a half decent CEO, you need the gift of the gab, Johnston is sadly lacking anything.

That's the problem old mate, they are all that close together that they are blocking every hole available ...

Dragon David

First Grade
Welcome to the Dragons media way!. No news.....is...no news!
They think they are keeping things in house which is OK at times but their media dept is one of the worst in the NRL...
We get more decent interesting content and stuff in 4 weeks of the womens NRL comp then we do the whole mens season.............especially reserve grade..(why is that?)

Peter Doust interviewed...ha. For what it is worth it was better to listen to BJ.
Even when you met PD & Pricey face to face which I did some 7 years ago whenlooking to get some support with our rugby league club for players to help with one off training etc.for our seniors...he could not even look you in the eyes...nor could Pricey for that matter
It was like listening to a polli who believes in what he is saying but cant back it up.
and BTW the meeting with Dousty ended up being thanks but we cant really help...go figure.
There and then I knew he was not the person we needed as CEO..
Thanks for the enlightenment and I agree with your comments BLM01. Cheers!

Dragon David

First Grade
DD,

Agreed, thanks OKB 1.

SnowDragon

Juniors
So saying this and expecting the idea to be shot down :joy:

Let’s say that the idea comes to fruition, I.e. Flanno comes in, and Gus comes in.
What’s the chance that a few years of such mentor ship and guidance can’t transform the dragons and Mary as a long term coaching option?

Now personally I am not a fan of Flanno, and would like a better image and culture than he projects...
I also think the screw up demands Mary is dropped.

However, what is absolutely needed is major change to a model that has failed. IF Mary could adopt and develop under others, I could see it working... but only IF there is player buy in. They had better of spoken with Friz, Widdop and Nightingale for example ( the later since I would think he is pricey to a lot of info, and has nothing to loose, not to mention he is a club legend imho).

Also, I think Mary has shown himself not to be competent. Can this change? Is it too late to change? Has he lost the hearts and minds of too many players?

Anyway, it’s just me looking for the silver lining, or the best possible angle on a situation I wouldn’t have chosen.

denis preston

First Grade
So saying this and expecting the idea to be shot down :joy:

Let’s say that the idea comes to fruition, I.e. Flanno comes in, and Gus comes in.
What’s the chance that a few years of such mentor ship and guidance can’t transform the dragons and Mary as a long term coaching option?

Now personally I am not a fan of Flanno, and would like a better image and culture than he projects...
I also think the screw up demands Mary is dropped.

However, what is absolutely needed is major change to a model that has failed. IF Mary could adopt and develop under others, I could see it working... but only IF there is player buy in. They had better of spoken with Friz, Widdop and Nightingale for example ( the later since I would think he is pricey to a lot of info, and has nothing to loose, not to mention he is a club legend imho).

Also, I think Mary has shown himself not to be competent. Can this change? Is it too late to change? Has he lost the hearts and minds of too many players?

Anyway, it’s just me looking for the silver lining, or the best possible angle on a situation I wouldn’t have chosen.

No news from the Board at present is good news as it shows that they are putting the lineup together. For me the best case scenario is ( based on Mary's job being non negotiable , for now ) is the Board takes on Gus's suggestions and :

* Flanagan appointed assistant coach and unofficially recruitment adviser.
* Whole coaching staff under Mary sacked ( so Young can't weasel his way to interim coach )
* Take team selections & Mon -friday coaching away from the bald one and revealing this to outsiders will incur breach of contract in bringing the club into disrepute.
* Gould general manager of football.
That's my wish list anyway

ViceVersa

Juniors
Shane Flanagan close to a deal but Tim Sheens also in Dragons mix

Premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan could be back in gainful employment by the end of next week as St George Illawarra step up their bid to provide greater support to head coach Paul McGregor.

It is understood the Dragons are considering two models as part of a reshaping in their football department — one would involve appointing a coaching director, such as multiple premiership winner Tim Sheens, the other bringing in an experienced assistant like Flanagan.

The latter option seems more likely, although McGregor will have the ultimate say, given his agreement with the club provides him with the power to appoint his football staff.

It is understood Flanagan has been in talks with the Dragons and further discussions are expected to be held in the latter stages of next week, with the potential that the ex-Cronulla coach could join the Dragons in the lead-up to the grand final, if not soon after.

Sources close to the Dragons confirmed the club are also in discussions with some leadership organisations as they look to strengthen their culture following a season of bitter disappointment that has prompted a thorough review of their football operations.

The Dragons remain committed to McGregor, who has two years left to run on his deal, but realise they need to shake things up to ensure there is no repeat of this season, when they finished in 15th spot.

Sheens has been out of the NRL since parting ways with Wests Tigers at the end of 2012. He resumed his coaching career as director of rugby league at Salford in the English Super League before then joining Hull KR, that association coming to an end midway through this year.

He was recently linked with Newcastle but has also popped up on the Dragons’ radar as they contemplate reinforcing their football department with some experienced heads.

Flanagan fits the bill on that front, having been cleared by the NRL to resume his coaching career as an assistant for the next two years. While the NRL cleared him last week to talk to clubs, he is prevented from taking up a job until mid-December.

The developments on the coaching front come amid renewed speculation over the future of backrower Tyson Frizell, who has another year to run on his deal with the Dragons. The Dragons insist they want to keep Frizell and he has indicated he would like to stay, their belief that the speculation has come about because someone close to the NSW and Australian forward has been attempting to get a guide as to his value on the open market before beginning extension talks with St George Illawarra. Rival clubs are free to begin tabling offers to the 27-year-old from November 1.

Meanwhile, Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold has held talks with Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft, as he looks to sign someone capable of guiding his talented team around the park next season. Croft has lost his place in the Melbourne starting side to Jahrome Hughes and, as a result, has been given permission to explore his options on the open market.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...x/news-story/924c6d4e772bba01d083de9fe00ed8ac

SAP58

Juniors
DD,

Good post, remember the John Stanley updates/Q & A sessions ? What ever happened to John’s updates ? Might have been just lip service but at least we felt informed ?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I hear Sheens is in the running, god I hope so. Those Raiders and Tigers teams he coached had such an attacking style about them. I really don’t want Flanno it smacks of desperation and will lead to failure long term I have no doubt. Sheensy can take over midway through next season and appoint Fitzgibbon as his assistant who can take over after a few years.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This sounds too good to be true but I can't see it happening. Flanno may have a better chance because he played a game or 2 at the Saints but Sheens no way. He is not a Dragons boy at all.

They went for Crawley's brother, they may now go for Paul Kent''s brother if he has one or one of James Hooper's family members.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
All jokes aside, l just can't see Flanno putting up with McGregor ........... its a total insult.
I also can't see McGregor lasting another two years.
He's just not capable enough to last the distance .............. he'll continue to burn everyone around him, including Flannagan.

Flannagan may be desparate now but he won't suffer the likes of McIdiot telling him what to do for two years ................. he'll explode.

So the problem will be, McIdiot needing to be gone after 6 rounds or so, who do we put in?
Flannagan won't suffer being second fiddle to another ( Young ) for the remainder, surely.

We find ourselves with a potenially, very bad situation about to come before us.

For our own good, because we are stuck with McGregor for a minimum 6 or so rounds
( depending on how we fair ) .......we need to forget Flannagan and have someone else lined up, ready to take over to be a coach, not an assistant.

Otherwise, the idiotic board may keep McGregor for the whole two years, regardless of whether he runs us into the ground or not.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
All jokes aside, l just can't see Flanno putting up with McGregor ........... its a total insult.
I also can't see McGregor lasting another two years.
He's just not capable enough to last the distance .............. he'll continue to burn everyone around him, including Flannagan.

Flannagan may be desparate now but he won't suffer the likes of McIdiot telling him what to do for two years ................. he'll explode.

So the problem will be, McIdiot needing to be gone after 6 rounds or so, who do we put in?
Flannagan won't suffer being second fiddle to another ( Young ) for the remainder, surely.

We find ourselves with a potenially, very bad situation about to come before us.

For our own good, because we are stuck with McGregor for a minimum 6 or so rounds
( depending on how we fair ) .......we need to forget Flannagan and have someone else lined up, ready to take over to be a coach, not an assistant.

Otherwise, the idiotic board may keep McGregor for the whole two years, regardless of whether he runs us into the ground or not.
Exactly, getting Flanagan means we are stuffed for at least 2 more years and even if he takes over after that he was suspended for cheating multiple times so what has he accomplished without cheating? Who’s to say he’s even a good coach when he has to play by the rules. Truth is that we have the core of a premiership in our team we need 2-3 astute purchases and a decent coach and we can give it a shake in the next 3 years.