What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Then some rookie old boy it is...Gorrell/Fein etc...No Thanks...

we need someone who knows what it takes to win a premiership...also Flanno is a hard nut...exactly what our team needs + knows how to develop and promote young talent...Regrettable about his mistakes, but surely everyone is entitled to a 2nd chance....

There's mistakes, and then there's overseeing a training program incorporating the injection of unknown substances, by an unqualified quack, against the advice of the club doctor.

Sorry, not convinced he is the right bloke to have going forward.

boardlumps62

Juniors
There's mistakes, and then there's overseeing a training program incorporating the injection of unknown substances, by an unqualified quack, against the advice of the club doctor.

It is a worry we are accepting this person as our coach surely there's a better way to go.

Carrera28

Juniors
He is better than McGregor....+ has taken a team to the GF and won.

As fans our only measure of success is winning, who cares if we breach the salary cap and have a major drugs program to do it?

Something else to consider is that Flanagan may not be cleared for two years or more to be first grade coach so signing Flanagan may actually grantee that Mary sees out his two years of his contract.

getsmarty

Immortal
As fans our only measure of success is winning, who cares if we breach the salary cap and have a major drugs program to do it?

Something else to consider is that Flanagan may not be cleared for two years or more to be first grade coach so signing Flanagan may actually grantee that Mary sees out his two years of his contract.

Maybe that is what the board wants ........

BLM01

First Grade

Couple of sayings for ya
Desperate times...desperate measures
Dont look a gift horse in the mouth
Definition of Insanity..Having Mary make all coach and football operation decisions time and time again
Glass half full...or is it half empty
Little bit of something is better than nothing
Small steps..or one step at a time
We gotta grovel before we can win (in lieu of crawl before you walk)

That'll do. BTW..I am happy with it and think something is needed if you could not guess ;)

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Couple of sayings for ya
Desperate times...desperate measures
Dont look a gift horse in the mouth
Definition of Insanity..Having Mary make all coach and football operation decisions time and time again
Glass half full...or is it half empty
Little bit of something is better than nothing
Small steps..or one step at a time
We gotta grovel before we can win (in lieu of crawl before you walk)

That'll do. BTW..I am happy with it and think something is needed if you could not guess ;)

Yeah, I get all that. Doesn't change the fact Flanno was banned for very good reasons. Yes this is change, yes it may yield results, no it doesn't make the board and management competent, and no it doesn't suddenly make me want to sign up membership.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah, I get all that. Doesn't change the fact Flanno was banned for very good reasons. Yes this is change, yes it may yield results, no it doesn't make the board and management competent, and no it doesn't suddenly make me want to sign up membership.
History never repeats
Done the crime...done the time
We all know where the main crux of change is needed at SGI
Whats a membership mean and really advantage you in anyway from someone buying a ticket on Ticketek for a game..lucky to get one on a decent time slot

Paddles

Juniors
Gotta say I still have my doubts about whether a combo of the guy who has completely broken this squad and cycled through 18 backroom staff, and a second big ego returning from an indefinite ban for systematically cheating twice can win us a comp.

And that's whether or not you throw in a Channel 9 commentator as a consultant.

YoHadrian

Juniors
Gotta say I still have my doubts about whether a combo of the guy who has completely broken this squad and cycled through 18 backroom staff, and a second big ego returning from an indefinite ban for systematically cheating twice can win us a comp.

And that's whether or not you throw in a Channel 9 commentator as a consultant.

Wouldn't exactly call it confidence inspiring & a positive direction for next season.

TruSaint

Referee
The fact that I'm thinking about the possibility of Dean Young being the next old boy in the big chair in six months is a concern. This board is hoping it might work, rather than applying any strategic judgement. They've tried this exact thing before and it didn't work.

I can't blame you or anyone with such scepticism.

Dragsters

First Grade
This is not the way I wanted us to go.

Ideally, cutting Mary immediately, with a FT new coach, on a short term deal would have been better. It seems to me the board have reacted for short term gain.

However, as @getsmarty and others have said, Mary wasn't going anywhere. I am really unsure as to what to expect with this development.

Same Tru.

I am uneasy with a Flanagan appointment but with McGregor still in the picture, something to spark a change is better than the status quo.

I will be looking for differences in selections (particularly the centres), changes in the game plan and use of the interchange and improved effort as markers of positive change from Flanagans involvement.

Time will tell...

qld redvee

Juniors
At least supercoach will have significant input from flanno AS he has to have quality helpers this year ..Next piece of the puzzle is do they hire Sheens / gus as a coaching director to give even more assisstance to supercoach ?? If we do get a coaching director wouldnt they be able to take over firat grade duties when the time comes next year ??? And BJ and the board should be showing all the KPI's / community work etc that flanno does to get a reduced sentence - Id be hounding the NRL monthly in order to get that reduced sentence.. Also lets see what Flannos responsibilities are especially as we are all worried about player retention and recruitment Im hoping the days of absolute pathetic journeymen are now over

Saint or sinner

Juniors
just wondering who Shane Flanagan could attract to our club ...do you think he has a good relationship with guys likes andrew Fifita or even Valentine Holmes ...we could do with a tough front rower and a gun fullback/centre ..hope he can attract players to our club because obviously Mary can't .

Love to see us move on Ben hunt and sign his son a lot cheaper and a very good game manager I know he signed with the roosters but that means nothing.
Also wouldn’t want Fifita anywhere near the dragons unless it’s David from Brisbane

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, we should have never been in this position where we have to sign-on an "experienced" helper for Mc85mins. He should have been gone now and no consideration for most, if not all, of the points supposedly made by Goud would have had to be made.

Basically they have backed themselves into a corner and now trying to scrape our way out of it.

However, in saying all of that, Flannos (can we call him that yet?) pending appointment will come with a huge range of restrictions, one of which I read was he has to work with developing juniors.

The benefit I see would be at the very least a fresh set of eyes on the squad. Not saying he will have a say in selections or even recruitment, just a different view of things. We have had the same set up with Mc85mins, Young, Hornby and even Head for several years now and that simply hasn't worked. If Flannagan was to be the coach of the CC squad, he would have some real input into the development of each player and maybe even a knock-on effect of some juniors wanting to learn under a NRL premiership winning coach.

So, the structure maybe as simple as:
Head Coach - Mc85mins
Assistant Coach - Craig Young
Assistant Coach and CC Coach - Shane Flannagan (Basically same job as Head)
Jersey Flegg Coach - Willie Talou