What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Phantom V

Juniors
I’m not sure just how many more new signings we’ll get for 24 but I’d rather that than the knee jerk signings of previous years. Although we are a bit thin in some positions I still think with Flanno, Deano and the new training staff we are in for a much improved year in 24.

Phantom V

Juniors
I
Obviously there's the sound of crickets when we talk about on-field signings, but what Flanno has done well is fix the off-field support department. Andrew Gray, Dan Lawson and, yes, Dean Young are all big acquisitions.

I was reading an article today about the Cowboys talented young centre Zac Laybutt, who's been representing PNG in the Pacific Championship, and he offered this quote seemingly unprompted, about Young:

“I signed that top 30 contract last year for this season… and throughout the year I got a lot of advice from Todd and Dean Young who I really looked up to there as our defensive coach."

I’m looking forward to Young coming back to the fold. A tough uncompromising player who bled for our club and a great trainer despite carrying injuries. The sort of inspiration we need around the joint IMO.

Crush

Coach
I reckon without signing anyone off note for 2024 we will have a Dolphins type year next season. Escape the bottom 4 but just not have the depth to win enough games.
If we can sign a couple of players then we will play finals.
We are going to see a much improved team next year, one that plays some attacking football.

56to66

Juniors
Having that unnecessary extra team in the NRL, will make it tough signing big name players. Flanno needs to do a Brian Smith type recruitment policy and rely on that Illawarra nursery. He needs to create a 92/93 St George Dragons replica, but to go that one step further Smithy couldn't do.

Illusion

Bench
Remember when the geniuses on the board resigned Griffin for an extra year with the ridiculous reason it would help us sign new players............Those clowns and Griffin have put us 3 years behind.....
Yep I started a thread in here " Where do you see us in 5 years time " Exactly what I predicted going backwards ...... Bad bad decisions by a Board that only worried about themselves , so here we are 5 years later going backwards ........

56to66

Juniors
Its not all bad, at the start of the season it was about a fresh start, there was a lot of pain in moving Hook from his position, a lot of close games ended up losses, then BH spat the dummy, morale was low, they play well at the end of the season without points.
Let's embrace this new start with Flanno, most teams can make the Top 8, if St George finish anywhere around 8th position next season, it will a good start, it is achievable with hard work.

Victoire

Juniors
4a06efb5a2f39feaa2f81b9f3d179a94.gif

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Saints finished quite strong in 2023 compared to the Dogs so with no new signings and alot of hard work in the offseason they can improve. Some handy new signings would definitely improve them. The Dogs were so bad that if they lose by close margins it will be an improvement for them as they were getting absolutely flogged. They had the worst defence in the comp. If Saints played the Dogs under Carr and not Hook they would have finished ahead.

Saints will be a bit of an unknown with many juniors coming through. Hopefully one will end up rookie of the year in 2024. I am hoping Fifita, Tuitavaki & Coric have huge seasons hitting NRL for their first time. They are more or less new additions to the pack from 2023.

I cannot wait for this off season to end. It is going to go so slow and feel like 2 years have gone bye by the time round 1 starts.