What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

TheRev

First Grade
I'm sure the reason isnt for public knowledge.. but the journos during the week said Paix wanted to honour his contract and stay with Brisbane.. so I dunno.. he may change his tune in time with the reality of playing QLDCUP.

SBD82

Coach
hehe yes I'm not bias at all! But legit I think Tracey has about 3-4yrs left in his career.. hes 27.5 already and he is being taken advantage of atm.. I'd reckon hes on 200k or something.. if I was him I would want out now, or minimum a very sizeable upgrade effective immediately... atleast pay him what he's worth.

I just get frustrated that all the cap cheaters can afford to stockpile players (Broncos & Roosters the standouts)... all the talent should be fully shared out (via a draft or points system), and they should be instead relying on their juniors coming through as their depth.. like us pleb clubs have to do... The comp would be so much more better if it was a level playing field.
Dragging the good teams down to our level would make the comp infinitely worse.

If the NRL wanted to implement the draft with certain conditions for the benefit of the game , then those clubs would have no say. Its just atm certain clubs tend to hold all the playing cards at NRL Central, and we are not one of them.

I think you will find its the players who are most strongly opposed to it. Every time it is mentioned in rugby league, you hear quotes from the RLPA more or less saying "over out dead bodies".

John Adams was the President of the Players Association when the original draft came into the NSWRL in the early 1990s. It upset the players so much, Kevin Ryan ran against him at the subsequent election and defeated him in a landslide vote. Ryan and the PA then assisted Terry Hill in his court challenge which saw the draft declared a restraint of trade in the Federal Court and thrown out.

Also you can say the RLPA should "piss off" as one poster suggested up thread. Realistically that is not going to happen. the NFL tried that during the 1980s when they used non-union players to replace striking players over the CBA. The games were tragic to say the least in many cases. It did not help resolve the industrial dispute.

justadragon

Bench
I think you will find its the players who are most strongly opposed to it. Every time it is mentioned in rugby league, you hear quotes from the RLPA more or less saying "over out dead bodies".

John Adams was the President of the Players Association when the original draft came into the NSWRL in the early 1990s. It upset the players so much, Kevin Ryan ran against him at the subsequent election and defeated him in a landslide vote. Ryan and the PA then assisted Terry Hill in his court challenge which saw the draft declared a restraint of trade in the Federal Court and thrown out.

Also you can say the RLPA should "piss off" as one poster suggested up thread. Realistically that is not going to happen. the NFL tried that during the 1980s when they used non-union players to replace striking players over the CBA. The games were tragic to say the least in many cases. It did not help resolve the industrial dispute.
I get it all, can someone show me a way that we can spread the talent around, the salary cap is not working, some clubs have TPA's some dont, its obvious for the last decade that there is preferential treatment given to certain clubs, its obvious some clubs have never ending barrels of money to throw around under the guise of business management. I'm sick of harping on about this restraint of trade, but guess what if the league dont do something about the issues surrounding players and what clubs can have them, we are practically a 2 tier comp now and if this continues there will be no trade for certain teams. To me people say we must improve as a club to get the better players, I agree we must, especially in culture, but does that also mean we need to rort the salary cap better, Laundy got found out not so long ago and Politis has been at it for years with his back room deals and what happened to them, nothing. Anyway life goes on and we have a happy bunch of players being unrestricted because certain money pots are endless, and they and their corrupt managers know it.

Dragon David

First Grade
I get it all, can someone show me a way that we can spread the talent around, the salary cap is not working, some clubs have TPA's some dont, its obvious for the last decade that there is preferential treatment given to certain clubs, its obvious some clubs have never ending barrels of money to throw around under the guise of business management. I'm sick of harping on about this restraint of trade, but guess what if the league dont do something about the issues surrounding players and what clubs can have them, we are practically a 2 tier comp now and if this continues there will be no trade for certain teams. To me people say we must improve as a club to get the better players, I agree we must, especially in culture, but does that also mean we need to rort the salary cap better, Laundy got found out not so long ago and Politis has been at it for years with his back room deals and what happened to them, nothing. Anyway life goes on and we have a happy bunch of players being unrestricted because certain money pots are endless, and they and their corrupt managers know it.
Well constructed and said justa.

To me, unfairness is now becoming part and parcel of sport. There is too much rorting going on and the corruption of people to ensure that certain clubs remain on top only benefits them and the ones being honest just don't have a chance.

If the Dragons keep battling and not be finals contenders a few times at least in the next several years it will make the club look second rate moreso than it currently is.

We have to be able to get decent players. It is up to those in control of recruitment do whatever is necessary to secure the better players and don't let that f..cken Bulldogs club take them all.

Illusion

Bench
Well constructed and said justa.

To me, unfairness is now becoming part and parcel of sport. There is too much rorting going on and the corruption of people to ensure that certain clubs remain on top only benefits them and the ones being honest just don't have a chance.

If the Dragons keep battling and not be finals contenders a few times at least in the next several years it will make the club look second rate moreso than it currently is.

We have to be able to get decent players. It is up to those in control of recruitment do whatever is necessary to secure the better players and don't let that f..cken Bulldogs club take them all.
Your last paragraph sums it up ....... This "do whatever is necessary to secure the better players" ........ That's what most are doing , but not us .......

Victoire

Juniors
You might be overreacting somewhat. Brisbane got the spoon 3 years ago and were just a Nathan Cleary-miracle shy of winning the comp this year. Warriors went from 15th to a prelim final. Yet the Bulldogs, for all their supposed Laundy laundering, have been near enough to the spoon for 5 years. You can either be the stereotypical "old man yells at cloud" or you can make the required fundamental fixes off field to make your club a contender. I guess it remains to be seen whether Flanagan et al is the fix we needed, but we could've done worse (and have for a looong time)

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
You might be overreacting somewhat. Brisbane got the spoon 3 years ago and were just a Nathan Cleary-miracle shy of winning the comp this year. Warriors went from 15th to a prelim final. Yet the Bulldogs, for all their supposed Laundy laundering, have been near enough to the spoon for 5 years. You can either be the stereotypical "old man yells at cloud" or you can make the required fundamental fixes off field to make your club a contender. I guess it remains to be seen whether Flanagan et al is the fix we needed, but we could've done worse (and have for a looong time)
I do agree with you but I dont think I have over reacted. I accept what the NRL is, its a competition that isn't a level playing field for all teams when it comes to the distribution of talent around the comp. Yes the Dragons are at fault for employing numpties in the head coaching and board level roles for so long. But i guess as a bottom feeder club now we need to respect the business savvy ways of the elite teams and amaze ourselves with the ability they have to be able to sign every decent player in the market. Not to mention hearing the endearing words "I took a pay cut to stay with my beloved team" OMG that just melts my heart.