What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Saints wins were very impressive this year but their losses were scary as hell and showed that as good as they looked winning, they looked atrocious losing. It showed Saints have something and that is on their day they can beat the good sides like Melbourne in Melbourne. Flanno really just needs to work extra hard on defence in the offseason and make Saints an extremely hard team to break down not one that once they concede a try buckles. I would not look at the big name players to bring in but ones that can defend and have a tackle efficiency % that is higher that what the players Saints have now. Saints had guys like Cam McInness, Vaughn and Tariq Sims who I would love to have kept instead of McCullough, Maguire, Woods, Burgess etc. Griffin really did screw up Saints. Cam McInness and Tariq are true leaders and you just don't get rid of guys like that. They are the ones you should keep not replace.

Illusion

Bench
Agree they played well and did what others couldn't , but then couldn't beat teams below us on our home ground so that for me nullified the good wins , that was a disappointing and I for one knew it was coming ....... But overall we did see improvement in some areas let's now hope , and I think it will improve next year ........ So no I'm not underplaying those wins , just disappointed they couldn't go on with it ..........
I hate it when people underplay what the team achieved in both those games. They were both very good wins. Yes Penrith had 5 out, but we had 3 out, we were playing at their home ground, and Panthers were favoured to win by a big margin. They still had a formidable forward pack, but we muscled up and held them. Marschke and Flanno totally outplayed their halves, both kicked well, and we got a good win 4 tries to 2. The Melbourne game was a cracker, edge of the seat, another game we were totally expected to lose. Everyone played out of their skin. We totally deserved to be on the cusp of the 8, despite the nay sayers.
e t

since77

Juniors
I hate it when people underplay what the team achieved in both those games. They were both very good wins. Yes Penrith had 5 out, but we had 3 out, we were playing at their home ground, and Panthers were favoured to win by a big margin. They still had a formidable forward pack, but we muscled up and held them. Marschke and Flanno totally outplayed their halves, both kicked well, and we got a good win 4 tries to 2. The Melbourne game was a cracker, edge of the seat, another game we were totally expected to lose. Everyone played out of their skin. We totally deserved to be on the cusp of the 8, despite the nay sayers.
Well said. I went to the Penrith game and had to wait outside the ground for a good half hour waiting for my son to arrive. I watched both sets of fans walking into the ground. I can tell you that there were zero nervous Penrith fans walking into the ground that day. They were all 100% confident their team was going to easily deal with the Dragons. Very smug, like they were turning up to watch a formality. Dragons fans - they were already used to the ups and downs of the '24 season and looked like they had no idea what Dragons team was going to show up.
Standing on the hill we were with some of my son's friends who were Penrith supporters. None of them were vaguely worried until there was about 5 minutes to go. They totally expected to win.
We played well and won. For every win we had this year there are the usual clowns on the forum who will tell you that we only won because the other team played badly or throw up some other pathetic excuse. It really makes me wonder how well some people know their footy.

The reason we were there abouts was because we managed somehow to beat Penrith on their turf ( yes I know they were under strength ) Think we had a couple out also , then we beat the Storm at their ground also and they were close to full strength ....... So 4 points that we picked up that we weren't backing on , take them away and we would have been further down the ladder ........ 4 points that most of the teams fighting for the 8 would not have picked up .........
True but we also lost games that defied logic

rasaint

Juniors
Lots of good posts. At the end of the day we need a better roster if we are going to be in the mix of chances for finals and win more next season. Val Homes is a good buy. Stating the obvious we need fast wingers, a quality big prop and some ‘up and comers’ from lower grades who really step up. Love to have Cody Ramsey at fullback but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

Not overly fussed about coaches. Great players make great coaches.

Cleary had a sub 50% record before going back to the Panthers ( was sacked then went to Tigs for poor record) thereafter a ‘world beater again‘. Kev Walters went to grand final with Broncos 2023 ( 10 secs off victory) but 2024 lost the game’s best centre and top second rower to Dolphins and class 5/8 injured early and champ half on one leg, the rest is history. Madge is new ‘great best coach’.( great reference from the games chosen one) He won a premiership with powerful South’s team full of young Burgess boys and Greg Inglis and tanked with Tigers ( poor roster).

mattw5

Juniors
BREAKING: EELS GRANT GUTHERSON PERMISSION TO SPEAK TO RIVAL CLUBS IMMEDIATELY WITH DRAGONS CIRCLING

By Michael Chammas and Danny Weidler
October 10, 2024 — 2.10pm
smh.com.au

Parramatta have granted Clint Gutherson permission to negotiate with rival clubs immediately after the Eels informed their captain they were not in a position to offer him an extension.

Eels coach Jason Ryles and general manager Mark O’Neill met with Gutherson and his agent Sam Ayoub on Thursday morning to discuss the veteran’s future at the club.

Ayoub had been seeking clarity from the Eels around their position on Gutherson, who will become a free agent on November 1.

The Eels retierated their desire to use Gutherson in a utility/roaming role next year and because of the uncertainty around how it would work, were unable to make him an offer.

The Eels want to see how Gutherson performs in the role before they can put a contract value or length of term together.

The Eels have subsequently given Ayoub permission to begin negotiations with rival clubs immediately and not wait until November.

The Eels declined to comment when contacted by this masthead but confirmed, out of respect for Gutherson, that they had given his manager permission to test the market if he kept them abreast of the situation.

The Dragons have expressed interest in luring Gutherson to the club in 2026. If they manage to strike a deal, it is likely the Eels will be left with a decision to make over whether they should release their captain immediately.

Gutherson is on a deal worth around $950,000 next year. The Dragons are willing to pay him a large chunk of that salary to play fullback next year.

The St George Illawarra backline could be Gutherson at fullback, Tyrell Sloan and Josh Addo-Carr on the wing and Moses Suli with Valentine Holmes in the centres. The Dragons are in discussions with Addo-Carr’s management.

justadragon

Bench
Well said. I went to the Penrith game and had to wait outside the ground for a good half hour waiting for my son to arrive. I watched both sets of fans walking into the ground. I can tell you that there were zero nervous Penrith fans walking into the ground that day. They were all 100% confident their team was going to easily deal with the Dragons. Very smug, like they were turning up to watch a formality. Dragons fans - they were already used to the ups and downs of the '24 season and looked like they had no idea what Dragons team was going to show up.
Standing on the hill we were with some of my son's friends who were Penrith supporters. None of them were vaguely worried until there was about 5 minutes to go. They totally expected to win.
We played well and won. For every win we had this year there are the usual clowns on the forum who will tell you that we only won because the other team played badly or throw up some other pathetic excuse. It really makes me wonder how well some people know their footy.
I was there that day as well, pissing down rain and power went out. I for one wasn't expecting a win but was happy we did, plus we played well in the conditions against Penrith at their home, cant ask for much more than that.

Jubilee

Juniors
If Sloane is going to the wing, he should spend the summer getting under high balls in attack and defense. It is an area where he has already improved in defense so let's see if he can be a threat out wide catching them and batting them back (to Val or Suli?). I'd bet he has an okay leap.

justadragon

Bench
BREAKING: EELS GRANT GUTHERSON PERMISSION TO SPEAK TO RIVAL CLUBS IMMEDIATELY WITH DRAGONS CIRCLING

By Michael Chammas and Danny Weidler
October 10, 2024 — 2.10pm
smh.com.au

Parramatta have granted Clint Gutherson permission to negotiate with rival clubs immediately after the Eels informed their captain they were not in a position to offer him an extension.

Eels coach Jason Ryles and general manager Mark O’Neill met with Gutherson and his agent Sam Ayoub on Thursday morning to discuss the veteran’s future at the club.

Ayoub had been seeking clarity from the Eels around their position on Gutherson, who will become a free agent on November 1.

The Eels retierated their desire to use Gutherson in a utility/roaming role next year and because of the uncertainty around how it would work, were unable to make him an offer.

The Eels want to see how Gutherson performs in the role before they can put a contract value or length of term together.

The Eels have subsequently given Ayoub permission to begin negotiations with rival clubs immediately and not wait until November.

The Eels declined to comment when contacted by this masthead but confirmed, out of respect for Gutherson, that they had given his manager permission to test the market if he kept them abreast of the situation.

The Dragons have expressed interest in luring Gutherson to the club in 2026. If they manage to strike a deal, it is likely the Eels will be left with a decision to make over whether they should release their captain immediately.

Gutherson is on a deal worth around $950,000 next year. The Dragons are willing to pay him a large chunk of that salary to play fullback next year.

The St George Illawarra backline could be Gutherson at fullback, Tyrell Sloan and Josh Addo-Carr on the wing and Moses Suli with Valentine Holmes in the centres. The Dragons are in discussions with Addo-Carr’s management.
If we dont get him for 2025, then its a no deal for me !!

TheRev

Coach
I'd be surprised if Parra are willing to pay much of Guthos salary.. this is squarely something we and his management group have come up with.. that could hold the deal up.. but I think Ryles will be pretty keen tbh to get cap space back.. I rly hope they regret it too.

Cooling off period could apply.. but Parra might want it done and dusted so they can get to work on a replacement.

TheRev

Coach
Sloane to reserve grade imo, he absolutely will be needed for some or even a lot of the year.. Gutho gets injured or hes covering centre or 5/8..

Sloanes skillset rly only suits fback imo, the parts he struggles with are the parts that good wingers excel in.. Im not saying he cant make it there.. hes not starting there next year.. he'd have to really work at that.. and we heaps of wing options.