What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's signings have changed the losing mentality of the team.

i think ricky did the best he could.

that team he got to the 08 playoffs wasnt really a top 4 team. lets be honest. we were the best at the wrestle. we ground people down...won at the end with guys liek Misi tellyapapa

i think they could have got to the grand final had birdy not birded and buster not busted.

i don't think any fair minded fan could blame ricky stuart for 2009 and 2010.
his signings were the signings he had made prior to the dual reff rule change. prior to the greg birding. prior to buster in the plants with the hooters girl.
also, the club got hit with a shit storm compounded into a clusterf**k. i mean..come on.
4 corners nearly killed us. if you wanna blame the someone blame Matthew Johns.

its little wonder to me, that the current coach and players are doing better in a more positive environment. the club is doing better off the field. the club is hopefully going to get this development thingy done soon.

this season we signed people shafted by other clubs. degois, tafua, gibbs and robson were not wanted by their incoming or current coaches. players who believed they were worth more and are playing as such. who here thought robson would play this well? i didnt.

Fifita was a bonus i didnt expect to get. well done by flanno there.
Ross wanted more years than souths were offering. he came back because he felt he owed the club. good on him. you gotta love Ben Ross.

the key, of course is todd carney.
he's a great player playing with confidence in one of the 4 positions on the field that truly matter.
we have not had that since noddys 02 season. or his nice little period of form before he threw that intercept.

Flanagan is growing as a coach. has a way to go...but to say he's already better than stuart is ridiculous as he has not made the finals, won a premiership, coached rep teams etc.
Ricky stuart is held in high regard in the league for a reason.

jc155776

Coach
Seems there are a few not signed for next season. Would you want any of these? I'd take former Shark, Joel, back.

With the likes of Turner, Goodwin, Kris Keating, David Stagg, Dene Halatau, Joel Romelo and Jonathan Wright among 14 players yet to be re-signed, Canterbury have plenty of room to move in their salary cap for next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-coop-to-join-rival-clubs-20120618-20kcb.html

Thing is EVERY single one of those must be replaced by someone on at least 60k to fill the top 25.

How many of those would even be close to the huge dollars Williams signing is being talked about??

You can't dump 3 players, and then use their salary to lump onto one.

i.e 200k + 200k + 200k all gone does not equal 600k for one player. It would be 420k.

Player salaries need to be transparent and available on a database just like the NBA if the NRL wants to be serious on the cap and keep the peace at the same time.

Surely if more than the NRL and Storm new the details of their Storm players contracts questions would have been raised and investigations started a LONG time before everything came out.

Pig Champion

Juniors
I love the John Lang era, even if I'm out by a decade, thanks Reefy, but for all the turmoil of his successors we got nothing from his time. Lot's of great local juniors, great open footy, a home home ground that was a graveyard for other teams, what the hell was missing? He had sh*t loads more time than the rest, we should be basking in a premiership from that era but instead we take pot shots at individuals knowing we have the game plan.

I believe this years as good a chance as any. We won in the last 10 minutes, we beat teams we shouldn't, we lose when we should win. Let's see if Flanno breaks the sharks coach mold, a GF win is the only way.

jc155776

Coach
Just on Ricky, remember how he shafted Kingston and Degois for Corey Hughes???

Kinga ended up going being a key figure in the Eels shit hot run of form to the Grand Final, was also playing for peanuts.

I was told a great story by a former trainer who was on holiday over in Phuker. Remember when Shillington left the Roosters? Shillington apparently is a pretty soft spoken, quiet bloke. Stuart during his shitty final Roosters years lost the plot, blew up at him for talking like a androtrop, called him a homo etc etc. Shillos dad came down the next day and have a massive blow up with Stuart.

He just seems like the kind of person who when frustrated takes everything out on everyone else and blames everyone else. World Cup final referee confrontation is another example.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Just on Ricky, remember how he shafted Kingston and Degois for Corey Hughes???
Im so pharken sick of hearing that story.
Kinga was 3rd string behind Terrence SEu SEu who just never came along. All 3 were legacy players. Corey hughes was retiring. After Kinga was signed to the Eels late 2008 & the Sharks unable to match the offer for degois, Hughes had to be talked out of retirement to play for $80k STicky was absolutely spweing at losing degois.

Kinga ended up going being a key figure in the Eels shit hot run of form to the Grand Final, was also playing for peanuts.
More than what he was on at the Sharks. So much, the Eels could not fit him under the cap the very next year.

I was told a great story by a former trainer who was on holiday over in Phuker. Remember when Shillington left the Roosters? Shillington apparently is a pretty soft spoken, quiet bloke. Stuart during his shitty final Roosters years lost the plot, blew up at him for talking like a androtrop, called him a homo etc etc. Shillos dad came down the next day and have a massive blow up with Stuart.
That pretty much says it all about Shillo. Its a wonder his mum didnt come down. Looks like it did him the world of good.

He just seems like the kind of person who when frustrated takes everything out on everyone else and blames everyone else. World Cup final referee confrontation is another example.
He must walk around the house screaming all day if that is the case having been given an autisitc child

DJShaksta

First Grade
And even IF Flanno brings us a premiership some of you clowns will still be falling over each other to bag Ricky Stuart instead of enjoying it.

08 was great.
09/10 were basket cases due off field issues.

If people can't see this there is something wrong.

Plastered

Juniors
Well said RCB/Shaksta - 09/10 were write-offs, f**k me, I'd doubt Wayne Bennett could've done much during that period. That was a total nightmare and took it's toll on both Ricky and the players.

Flanno? Well I reckon he's doing a great job. Took him a while to find his feet last year, but he is definitely growing into the role with the help of Petere Sharp.

Last edited:

greenie1957

Juniors
I agree on Pomm also, way more sting in his approach to defense this year. Hit's holes very hard and is a handfull for the opposition. Yes he still has the odd penis fingers moment but what he has brought to the team this year far outweighs those indiscretions. I just hope he doesn't pull one at at a crucial point in the semi's if we get there.

penis fingers haha:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

carcharias

Immortal
I have met Ricky a couple of times........never at footy things.
He is a pretty serious dude but he does a lot of stuff for other people.
One example is this year he came and spoke at a mates charity night.
My mate has a brain tumour .
He doesn't even know my mate nor has he met him...he along with many other high profile people were asked .
He was the only one who came and spent the entire night there and made a great speech .
Footy is his job ...the job of footy is to win....he tries to do that .
He tried his guts out for the Sharks .

I spoke to him the night that the Bird thing blew up.
Again, total pro.
We and our families happened to be sitting next to each other in a restaurant.
Turns out our sons had the same name...and his missus is a smokin hot mum.

People confuse passion with ego I think.

ftr I would have abused the world cup ref as well...that 4 mtr rolled knock on forward pass by Benji was unacceptable.

No coach could have got a team to perform during 09/10 I dont give a f**k what anyone says...I am right. :)

Frenzy.

Immortal
Well said RCB/Shaksta - 09/10 were write-offs, f**k me, I'd doubt Wayne Bennett could've done much during that period. That was a total nightmare and took it's toll on both Ricky and the players.

Flanno? Well I reckon he's doing a great job. Took him a while to find his feet last year, but he is definitely growing into the role with the help of Petere Sharp.

:lol: I see it. :lol:

Frenzy.

Immortal
i think ricky did the best he could.

that team he got to the 08 playoffs wasnt really a top 4 team. lets be honest. we were the best at the wrestle. we ground people down...won at the end with guys liek Misi tellyapapa

i think they could have got to the grand final had birdy not birded and buster not busted.

i don't think any fair minded fan could blame ricky stuart for 2009 and 2010.
his signings were the signings he had made prior to the dual reff rule change. prior to the greg birding. prior to buster in the plants with the hooters girl.
also, the club got hit with a shit storm compounded into a clusterf**k. i mean..come on.
4 corners nearly killed us. if you wanna blame the someone blame Matthew Johns.

its little wonder to me, that the current coach and players are doing better in a more positive environment. the club is doing better off the field. the club is hopefully going to get this development thingy done soon.

this season we signed people shafted by other clubs. degois, tafua, gibbs and robson were not wanted by their incoming or current coaches. players who believed they were worth more and are playing as such. who here thought robson would play this well? i didnt.

Fifita was a bonus i didnt expect to get. well done by flanno there.
Ross wanted more years than souths were offering. he came back because he felt he owed the club. good on him. you gotta love Ben Ross.

the key, of course is todd carney.
he's a great player playing with confidence in one of the 4 positions on the field that truly matter.
we have not had that since noddys 02 season. or his nice little period of form before he threw that intercept.

Flanagan is growing as a coach. has a way to go...but to say he's already better than stuart is ridiculous as he has not made the finals, won a premiership, coached rep teams etc.
Ricky stuart is held in high regard in the league for a reason.

The bold text above represents one of the key points to the entire recruitment discussion.

How many other clubs were fighting to get these guys and Carney?

Not many would be my guess.

It's for this reason that I am not ready to just lump plaudits on anyone at the Sharks for the 2012 recruitment. Some, or all, of the players that came here might not of had a choice and I'm more interested in seeing who signs on for 2013 and beyond.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Actually, from memory... Robson was wanted by the Eels.

They had an offer tabled for him and everything. It was just his relationship with Flanno and one would have to say, their new recruit of Sandow, that brought him here.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
This...

I also suggest clubs would be after DeGois and Gibbs.

Well you suggest wrong. The Tigers were trying desperately to get rid of Gibbs who had just signed a 3 year deal. Had to be a Sydney club & nobody wanted him. In the end the Sharks nknew that & made a great power play & only did the Gibbs deal if Burrito was thrown in. Coincided with Mooney getting involved with the negotiations if I remember correctly.
Up to 10 clubs were chasing Carney & only one club did not put big brother restrictions on the deal. The Sharks. other clubs offered more money but on a strictly no alcohol arrangement for 2-3 years. That means the deal was done by Irvines board, who approved the "no-condition" contract. They also conspired, to "rush" Carney manager after repeated delays in price agreement.

All of these details are readily available from interviews with all of these players, coaches & officials. I am quite surprised you thought otherwise.

ohh. no i'm not.

Wanted or not wanted who f**king cares?

It's about getting pieces to the puzzle that fit.

The puzzle in this case is a footy team and it's coming together very quickly.

The really good thing about the recruitment over the past two seasons is that a lot of the players have very strong leadership qualities. These qualitities have kept the team composed and focused in the close games this season and more importantly when Paul Gallen has been out of the team.

This was my point in this thread. In the past when Paul Gallen was out of the team you'd put the house on the opposition. We just didn't have enough mentally strong players who truly believed a job could be done. We now do. We can count on mulitiple players to lead the team. We are 3 from 4 when Paul gallen has been out of the team. I think that stat is very telling how this team is maturing and showing the qualities that you require in the finals to get a result.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Actually, from memory... Robson was wanted by the Eels.

They had an offer tabled for him and everything. It was just his relationship with Flanno and one would have to say, their new recruit of Sandow, that brought him here.

Which relationship with Flanagan would that be?

In any case, even if that's true Robson is only one of the half dozen that came to the club.