What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

Chook Norris

First Grade
Folau's Origin career looks over

Israel Folau's switch to AFL will come at a heavy price with Queensland poised to dump the rugby league defector from State of Origin.
The Queensland Rugby League wants to send a clear message to any players contemplating swapping codes that they can forget about being part of the showpiece event.
Folau signed a four-year deal worth a reported $6 million with new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney on Tuesday which should soften the blow of learning his Origin days are over.
QRL managing director Ross Livermore left little doubt on Tuesday as to how Folau's code change would be treated at the selection table on Monday week when the Maroons name their side for Origin II.
Queensland are on the brink of a fifth straight series win - a run of success in which Folau has played a key role - but it appears his unavailability for potentially more success will lead to his snubbing.
"When the selectors sit down to select a team, whether it be Queensland or Australia, they look at the value of the players, whether they are in form, whether they are going to be here for the future, what they've offered to the state," Livermore told reporters on Tuesday.
"Our players are very loyal, the ones who have delivered before. What they've (selectors]) got to look at is the big picture as well if a person is not going to be around for the big picture, that makes it very difficult to select such a player.
"I'm saying to the selectors that we would prefer you to consider players that are going to be here for the long haul."
Asked directly if Folau had played his sixth and final game for the Maroons, Livermore said: "I would think so."
Folau said he was still keen to play for the Maroons in the final two matches of this year's series, but it seems even he was resigned to the fact his representative rugby league career was over.
"That's entirely not in my hands - that's up to Queensland selectors and also Mal (coach Mal Meninga)," Folau said.
"If I do happen to get selected I promise that I'll give 110 per cent to the Queensland side and even the rest of the year for the Broncos, but I'll leave that up to selectors."
Meninga, who met with Livermore, is understood to be supportive of his tough stance.
Queensland selectors, Des Morris, Gene Miles and Alan Smith will be given the same message after Morris said "our charter is to pick the best Queensland team possible".
"I would think, and I think the coach would be of the same view, they would prefer to have someone around for the long-term," Livermore said.
"I would expect they would because they wouldn't be selectors if they didn't."
Warriors speedster Brent Tate looms at Folau's replacement ahead of Lote Tuqiri.
"It could be Brent Tate, it could be Lote Tuqiri. Who's been loyal out of those two to the game, who's in form?," said Livermore.
NRL chief executive David Gallop admitted a decision on Folau's representative future was up to Queensland selectors, but he distanced himself from claims the 21-year-old was a traitor.
"He's made a big decision and he's made a very potentially lucrative decision," Gallop said.
"Obviously there will be people involved in his development from when he first started playing junior rugby league that invested a lot of time and money in him and they would be disappointed today.
"It's not something that we are going to enjoy seeing him go, but it's not a blow, it's more very disappointing."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/folaus-origin-career-looks-over-20100601-wv34.html

LESStar58

Referee
Folau and Hunt to AFL, the 2007 and 2009 premiers having their titles stripped from rugby league annals, Gasnier, SBW, Tahu, Tuqiri, Sailor, Rogers and Sailor being allowed to join rugby union (sure they came back but their presence could have served the game better in the years they were away) Wing, Rooney and Gower lost to the game forever, the Bulldogs scandal of 2002.

Congratulations David Gallop; your legacy to the game of rugby league, along with the fact that you allowed the game to be sold for a pittance in TV rights in 2006-07, will forever be the salary cap and the fact that you were not proactive in ways to increase player earnings, all the while not being able to keep the threat of other sports at bay and all the while praising our biggest rival for the amount they are able to earn from their record television deal.

When is someone going to make a motion to have this incompetent f**k booted from his position?

Chook Norris

First Grade
too bad every other AFL player will be crying when they realise the full extent of his AFL contract.. getting paid more than any other player without ever having played the abomination of the game.. you know... bro?

LESStar58

Referee
Folau and Hunt to AFL, the 2007 and 2009 premiers having their titles stripped from rugby league annals, Gasnier, SBW, Tahu, Tuqiri, Sailor, Rogers and Sailor being allowed to join rugby union (sure they came back but their presence could have served the game better in the years they were away) Wing, Rooney and Gower lost to the game forever, the Bulldogs scandal of 2002.

Congratulations David Gallop; your legacy to the game of rugby league, along with the fact that you allowed the game to be sold for a pittance in TV rights in 2006-07, will forever be the salary cap and the fact that you were not proactive in ways to increase player earnings, all the while not being able to keep the threat of other sports at bay and all the while praising our biggest rival for the amount they are able to earn from their record television deal.

When is someone going to make a motion to have this incompetent f**k booted from his position?

little_aza

Juniors
Well if there's a silver lining to this cloud, it's that GWS have wasted a LOT of money. They shouldve offered that money to Gary Ablett Jnr instead - at least he's actually played AFL before. So GWS have wasted $1.5mil a year - that's a HUGE amount of cap. If they want GWS to be successful, they should actually aim to have a decent team - good luck stealing RL fans when you don't win games...

Folau = weaker GWS roster = less wins = less supporters jumping ship.

bullsh*t.

Agreed ....kicking a ball straight is something fumbleballers practice doing all their sporting life,yet most still cant do it..hence they get a pt for missing....the only sport on Earth that rewards nearly getting it right .
Like a ribbon for trying for the lesser(special kids) at school.

Sorry if i offend any special kids ...by mentioning AFL players in the same sentence.

LESStar58

Referee
Folau's Origin career looks over

Israel Folau's switch to AFL will come at a heavy price with Queensland poised to dump the rugby league defector from State of Origin.
The Queensland Rugby League wants to send a clear message to any players contemplating swapping codes that they can forget about being part of the showpiece event.
Folau signed a four-year deal worth a reported $6 million with new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney on Tuesday which should soften the blow of learning his Origin days are over.
QRL managing director Ross Livermore left little doubt on Tuesday as to how Folau's code change would be treated at the selection table on Monday week when the Maroons name their side for Origin II.
Queensland are on the brink of a fifth straight series win - a run of success in which Folau has played a key role - but it appears his unavailability for potentially more success will lead to his snubbing.
"When the selectors sit down to select a team, whether it be Queensland or Australia, they look at the value of the players, whether they are in form, whether they are going to be here for the future, what they've offered to the state," Livermore told reporters on Tuesday.
"Our players are very loyal, the ones who have delivered before. What they've (selectors]) got to look at is the big picture as well if a person is not going to be around for the big picture, that makes it very difficult to select such a player.
"I'm saying to the selectors that we would prefer you to consider players that are going to be here for the long haul."
Asked directly if Folau had played his sixth and final game for the Maroons, Livermore said: "I would think so."
Folau said he was still keen to play for the Maroons in the final two matches of this year's series, but it seems even he was resigned to the fact his representative rugby league career was over.
"That's entirely not in my hands - that's up to Queensland selectors and also Mal (coach Mal Meninga)," Folau said.
"If I do happen to get selected I promise that I'll give 110 per cent to the Queensland side and even the rest of the year for the Broncos, but I'll leave that up to selectors."
Meninga, who met with Livermore, is understood to be supportive of his tough stance.
Queensland selectors, Des Morris, Gene Miles and Alan Smith will be given the same message after Morris said "our charter is to pick the best Queensland team possible".
"I would think, and I think the coach would be of the same view, they would prefer to have someone around for the long-term," Livermore said.
"I would expect they would because they wouldn't be selectors if they didn't."
Warriors speedster Brent Tate looms at Folau's replacement ahead of Lote Tuqiri.
"It could be Brent Tate, it could be Lote Tuqiri. Who's been loyal out of those two to the game, who's in form?," said Livermore.
NRL chief executive David Gallop admitted a decision on Folau's representative future was up to Queensland selectors, but he distanced himself from claims the 21-year-old was a traitor.
"He's made a big decision and he's made a very potentially lucrative decision," Gallop said.
"Obviously there will be people involved in his development from when he first started playing junior rugby league that invested a lot of time and money in him and they would be disappointed today.
"It's not something that we are going to enjoy seeing him go, but it's not a blow, it's more very disappointing."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/folaus-origin-career-looks-over-20100601-wv34.html

I'd love to see Lote come back...

Didgi

I think it's only natural that Lote will fill his spot.

Who else have we got? Kemp? Yow Yeh? Maybe Tate could go on the wing?

Edwahu

Bench
Well if there's a silver lining to this cloud, it's that GWS have wasted a LOT of money. They shouldve offered that money to Gary Ablett Jnr instead - at least he's actually played AFL before. So GWS have wasted $1.5mil a year - that's a HUGE amount of cap. If they want GWS to be successful, they should actually aim to have a decent team - good luck stealing RL fans when you don't win games...

Folau = weaker GWS roster = less wins = less supporters jumping ship.

GWS are not a club, they are a promotional exercise. The AFL will not let them have a weak squad.

Big Mick

Referee
I'm surprised how many AFL trolls keep accounts on the side.

True...well obviously they feel threatened.

They wont admit it, but they are.

Otherwise there wouldn't be a complex about "we must crush them".

If they are so confident of taking over, they wouldn't need Folau or Hunt, they would have been confident enough with the product they have on the field.

But because that is glorified netball for men, they need someone like a Folau or Hunt to dominate....to try and make their game relevant in the two biggest markets in Australia who haven't given a rats ass for years.

*Waiting for AFL trolls to respond

icewind

Juniors
Kemp, Tuqiri, Tate. All capable of contributing to the cause. Up and comers from the coast look promising too in the years to come; Mead, Gordon etc.

Brutus

Referee

From a rugby league point of view, your post is spot on.

From a News LTD point of view, you are way off the mark. Gallop has done just fine for the media company.

FastEddie

Juniors
I have heard Issy prefers fumbleball because he can go doorknocking when the ball is 150 yards away. Esp playing for GWS the ball will be in their quarter or whatever the f**k it's called for 90% of the game. He should have a word to his equally loyal mate, Brother Hannant.

winnyason

Juniors
Let's be serious how good will folau be for PR the guy can barely speak he is borderline mute, the have no f**king idea western sydney is hardcore league it is entrenched to hate AFL or should i say AFL, generations love league out that way this team will fail. What they think because they sign a polenesian that thousand of kids with pacific islander background will play AFL they are f**king kidding, they will play the rugby's either League or union.
I think the nswru and western academy should combine to f**k this poor excuse for a sport, gloves are off i don't mind guys switching rugby codes it is natural but AFL, f**k what about there WORLD CUP have a good laugh. I will make sure my kid hates these f**king turds, These f**king idiots don't realise league and union alot more have international appeal something this pathetic sport does not, how do you get a point for missing it is a wankers paradise.
Kevin sheedy be warned will we take you head on want hatred it will happen, rather than co exist with the dominent sport they try to take it they will lose...........

natheel

Coach
what is israel going to do next year? will he do a Hunt and f**k off to union for a year? GWS doesnt come into the AFL till 2012

Latest posts