What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
He is from NS......oh never mind, it doesn't really matter anyway, he is from North of Kempsey.

crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm an AFL fan and I'm genuinely interested to know why people on this site:

- think NRL involves more skill than AFL

probably on two fronts, defensively you have to have a much better tackling technique and more is asked of you in defence, on attack you have to be able to catch and hold the ball at point of heavy impact, also passing is more skillful in RL than AFL imo.

I don't agree that there isn't any skill in AFL, to be able to kick a ball 50metres on teh run and hit a running player is a hard thing to do, marking the ball requires a fair bit of skill in traffic and getting away from your defender to get in the open for a kick is also a skill.

Where RL is unquestionably different is in its toughness and fitness levels. We don't have the luxury of 100+ substitutions a game!

babyg

Juniors
well look there all queenslanders

Have you not worked it out yet. Destroy Qld you destroy State of Origin and therefore weaken Rugby League. It's no cooincedence. It could also be the fact that the NRL and ARL are Sydney centric and are only interested in protecting NSW interests.

djst

Juniors
probably on two fronts, defensively you have to have a much better tackling technique and more is asked of you in defence, on attack you have to be able to catch and hold the ball at point of heavy impact, also passing is more skillful in RL than AFL imo.

I don't agree that there isn't any skill in AFL, to be able to kick a ball 50metres on teh run and hit a running player is a hard thing to do, marking the ball requires a fair bit of skill in traffic and getting away from your defender to get in the open for a kick is also a skill.

Where RL is unquestionably different is in its toughness and fitness levels. We don't have the luxury of 100+ substitutions a game!

Yes both games do have alot of differences.
Having played both when i was younger,although not as much time in League.
The skillset of the standard player has to be more vast in Aussie rules,and thinking quickly and being able to read the play is something that is hard to teach.
One thing on the fittness levels,most of the so called tough guys would rush to the weights room rather than having to take a 5km timetrial.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

The ball doesn't get kicked to the chest! They kick it in the general direction a mob of players are in and they all run towards the ball, one of whom will attempt to catch it. There is a massive difference.

Marking the ball in the AFL doesn't even require you to catch the ball, all they have to do is jump on some unsuspecting players back and slap in the general direction of the ball...

I'm an AFL fan and I'm genuinely interested to know why people on this site:

- think NRL involves more skill than AFL

You should check this out:

http://tribe13.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/football/

Also, just imo.
- 20 m wide goal posts with no crossbar. It's the only football code in the world with no crossbar. Think about that.

- No knock-on/fumble rule, the game looks like an absolute mess.

- No forward pass or offside rules mean that there is no strategy in the game besides hanging out in the opposition half and waiting for a team-mate to kick the ball to you.

- 150+ interchanges per team per match, which means that as soon as players get a bit puffed they run off the field for a breather and a drinks break. There is no courage or heart in the game.

- There's no tackling or big hits just shirt grabbing and a push in the back is a penalty.

- In RL you kick the ball so it's harder for the opposition to catch while in the AFL you just punt it so it floats down for an easy catch.

perverse

Referee
http://tribe13.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/football/

Also, just imo.
- 20 m wide goal posts with no crossbar. It's the only football code in the world with no crossbar. Think about that.

- No knock-on/fumble rule, the game looks like an absolute mess.

- No forward pass or offside rules mean that there is no strategy in the game besides hanging out in the opposition half and waiting for a team-mate to kick the ball to you.

- 150+ interchanges per team per match, which means that as soon as players get a bit puffed they run off the field for a breather and a drinks break. There is no courage or heart in the game.

- There's no tackling or big hits just shirt grabbing and a push in the back is a penalty.

- In RL you kick the ball so it's harder for the opposition to catch while in the AFL you just punt it so it floats down for an easy catch.
i was in stitches watching that video and reading the blog... and while i hold no "hatred" for AFL per se... i agree with everything you've said. lol. what makes me laugh even more is that it was goal of the round in round 1 this year.

Last edited:

MsStorm

Bench
well look there all queenslanders

ha ha I hate to spoil your fun, but Hindmarsh said on Foxsport News tonight, he'd look at a similar deal by the afl, if he was offered it.

Not unexpected from a Parra player:lol:

Benji Magic

Juniors
I can't see why the AFL think that by signing Israel Folau more people will support AFL from Western Sydney.
For starters Folau plays for Brisbane and Qld. Before that he played for Melbourne. How many supporters would he have now from Western Sydney???
AFL may have been more successful had they signed Jarryd Hayne or Michael Jennings or someone like that who is already a hero in the west.

The other question is do fans support a player or a team???
I wouldn't care if Benji Marshall or Robbie Farah signed with GWS, Sydney Swans, Roosters, Rabbitohs or Manchester United. It wouldn't make me want to watch those teams, I would still support the Wests. Always have and always will.
Do all the West Coast supporters follow Richmond now that Cousins plays there? Have all the Swans supporters started following Western Bulldogs because of Barry Hall?

Brutus

Referee
Why does the Daily Telegraph seem so intent on writing that Folau is only on 3.6 million over four years when every other media outlet is quoting 6 mill over 4 years.

Does the Telegraph have an agenda by doing this? Have they been paid by the AFL down talk down the actual figure paid? I would not be surprised.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why does the Daily Telegraph seem so intent on writing that Folau is only on 3.6 million over four years when every other media outlet is quoting 6 mill over 4 years.

Does the Telegraph have an agenda by doing this? Have they been paid by the AFL down talk down the actual figure paid? I would not be surprised.

none of them know his wage

why care on their guesses :?

Brutus

Referee
none of them know his wage

why care on their guesses :?

One is almost double the other.

Extremely odd.

The AFL would surly want the figure floated about to be as small as possible to make it appear as though he didn't just go for the money.

El Diablo

Post Whore
wonder if this will really backfire as AFL players aren't happy. http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/players-not-happy-with-folaus-millions-cox-20100603-x1t1.html

Players not happy with Folau's millions: Cox
TIM CLARKE
June 3, 2010 - 11:15AM

Israel Folau's monster pay packet to convert to the AFL has left many existing players angry, according to West Coast star Dean Cox – but the All-Australian ruckman did not blame the rugby league star for making himself rich by changing codes.

With the new Greater Western Sydney team poaching Folau to become one of the faces of the club, the size of his reputed $6m contract has been the main talking point with those he will be playing against in 2012.

Criticised by Brisbane coach Michael Voss, and player agent Ricky Nixon, Cox said this morning the contract offered to the 21 year-old was a coup for one player – but a slap in the face for dozens of others.

"Good on him for getting it – and I think it is great to see other codes coming into the AFL and playing," Cox said.

"But it probably does not sit well with a lot of players that he gets paid that money without doing anything. He is not a proven player.

"If he comes into the system and dominates for three or four years then he is worthy of collecting a pay cheque like that.

"A lot of the second-tier players will be saying: 'All the money goes to these players, and I have been at the club for a long period of time'."

Matt Finnis, CEO of the AFL Player's Association admitted that while players they had spoken to had not opposed the move, but also expressed concerns over the money offered to Folau.

"Many included in their comments a recognition that the announcement would significantly boost the effort to expand the game into Greater Western Sydney," Finnis said.

"But many of those same players also voiced concern about how much Israel was to be paid: 'Too much money but it has put them (GWS) on the map', said one. This seemed to capture the general mood.

"One player manager told me that he had fielded a number of concerns from his clients on the issue in the past 24 hours."

Nixon, who manages one of the competition's highest-paid players in Nick Riewoldt, said no club football person he had communicated with yesterday was in favour of the Folau deal.

''Not one person at all has supported it,'' he said.

''I've been surprised by the number of vitriolic text messages and phone messages by players and coaches,'' Nixon said of the response to the Folau contract, announced on Tuesday in Blacktown.

GWS chief executive Dale Holmes has downplayed the size of the Folau contract, saying that the reported figures of $1 million to $1.5 million a year were ''significantly overstated''.

Nixon questioned how a player such as Folau - who, in effect, is paid by the AFL - could be paid more than the game's best. ''How can a player who's never shed any blood or tears in the game be paid more than the No. 1 player in the game?''

He said the Folau signing sent a message to AFL players. ''The message the AFL is sending to players is 'if you get offered a truckload of money, take it'.''

Mindful of the potential for backlash and jealousy among current AFL players, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou took the unusual step of sending a letter to club players, coaches and administrators explaining the rationale behind signing the rugby league stars.

Latest posts