What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

Noa

First Grade
Thats all right I was just calling your bluff, your assertation doesnt show up any where. Remember, google can be your friend or your enemy.
Move this for us big brother.

Last edited:

drake

First Grade
Just shows how sad AFL is that it wants to poach players from League that have no demonstrated ability at fumbleball. Imagine being an AFL player being pushed aside for Israel Folau earning three times as much and having no game time.

"Rugby League; if the other codes are so hot, why are they after our players?"

Good luck to Folau if he gets millions out of it; I don't think he's going to be a worthwhile on field acquisition for AFL.

blain

Juniors
4mill+ as a 21yo? hell yeah i would take that. I think its fair enough he took the deal, no ones gonna be competing with that money. With him wanting a new challenge, what sh*t.. hes been in the top game for 2 seasons, he must have a very short attention span if thats true.

Terrible decision by AFL, their players will be pissed!!

Cletus

First Grade
Jesus this pisses me off. I didn't mind Hunt going because I didn't rate him. But having the AFL poach players and expect NRL fans to suck it up, why would we? Maybe they want the kids to go but their parents have to take them. Unless GWS can get a fanbase somewhere other than Greater Western Sydney they are going to be a complete joke.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ret-nsw-approach/story-e6frep5o-1225718623574

"They (the Blues) asked me before I started 2008 whether I wanted to play for Queensland or NSW," said Folau, who plays his fourth game for the Maroons at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night.

"I spoke to Craig Bellamy before the start of 2008 and he asked me which state I wanted to play for.

"I told him Queensland. He respected the decision I made. I was happy with it. We moved on."

why do the AFL think he will appeal to the people of Western Sydney :?

stevekh

Juniors
Folau was a traitor to his state so why does it surprise you that he can do this to the game that made him. Why would the people of Western Sydney have any affiliation with this man when he never represented them.

High Flyers

Juniors
I personally don’t see the big fuss; the Broncos now have some room under the cap after paying over’s when he signed so I’m sure they are happy (at least Ben Hannant is...) I would have done the same if I was him, I just recently left my job for a competitor for more money so it’s a no brainer there. But I see a lot of questions popping up regarding the value to the code?
Publicity
· People are talking about publicity value, would you go have a look at some footage of Israel speaking on camera for me please??? He’s the shyest person on the planet and not the media savvy animal that people are expecting, which at least hunt is.
· He’s a Queenslander (or his allegiance lies there as shown in State of Origin) who played for the Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos. Now he’s playing afl at Homebush which is closer to the centre of Sydney City then Blacktown, so how is that supposed to gather interest out west?
· Trust me about Polynesian people, coming from somebody that grew up with and lives in the western Sydney area from Quakers Hill to Auburn. Let me say that to poly’s as they are affectionately known, they only have one sport and that is rugby union… not league, they don’t like league with all its similarities so why would they play afl?
Short term gain for long term pain
· I’m sure they won’t be getting paid these big salaries after a few years and they won’t be able to transfer back as easily to league or union as they will lose all their muscle bulk.
· I think that as a league player you have more transferable skills, which is why they are getting poached for a number of sports. It really strengthens the argument for playing league from a young age. I’m yet to see anyone go from the afl to anywhere???
Player angst
· I’m sure that as a high profile afl player that I would be pissed off that some nuffie who has never played the game and dare I say CANT KICK is getting the most money.
· It’s been done before with Union and depending on who you talked to that experiment failed. Young kids now know that if you want a big contract play the sport you love and then someone will come and pay over’s for you. Maybe even a few kids will try league in hope of getting a big afl contract??
End of the day big story in afl land but maybe not so much in Sydney. Hunts story was a doozie and garnered a lot of interest due to being the first to switch. I don’t think there is as much value with Israel.

Pigskin

Juniors
why are people in this thread criticising Israel ?

Its not his fault that our administration cant make a decision ... or that our salary cap is so pitifully low in order to save the ridiculous amount of teams in Sydney which should have been halved 15 years ago

good luck to you Israel - every poster in this thread would have taken the coin as you have

however, I also agree with those calling for his departure to be a one-way ticket ... bye - for good, in my view

Oink !

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Let me say that to poly’s as they are affectionately known, they only have one sport and that is rugby union… not league, they don’t like league with all its similarities so why would they play afl?

What a heap of wank, polys have been involved in RL for yars, there are thousands more in Australia playing RL than RU.

nqcowboy87

Bench
if you where a personal trainer and then was offered three times as much for a job as a computer technician youd have to ask myself is it worth it that i could be able to do my job without falling on my face

Greenbits

Juniors
Sounds like the Melbourne Rebels are the big losers out of all of this. From what I can gather Falou and Gasnier were there two big targets and they threw everything at them.

The AFL got Folau and Gasnier is looking for a return to league. The Rebels two big signings are a couple of blokes from the Brumbies glory days looking for a retirement plan.

Apey

Staff member
Left the 7PM project on to see what they said about it.

Normally Steve Price is a twat but he was spot on -> NSWmen have no reason to care about Folau, they have no ties to Folau, scrap him from Origin, and by the time he actually plays in 2012, he'll be forgotten and we will move on.

Coaster

Bench
I find it hilarious that the highest paid player in the AFL. Has only seen the game on TV

typicalfan

Coach
Listen to these afl morons saying he will bring free exposure.

Every time Hunt or Folau run out onto the field there will be 2 rugby league athletes strutting their stuff in front of a full house of fumble fans.

If anything they will be giving the NRL exposure. If these guys succeed there will be more southerners interested in what other athletes the NRL have.

There are plenty of athletes running around the NRL on par with Folau or better.

Latest posts