What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

strider

Post Whore
did we have to sign willie tonga? - he's not elite anymore but he was still fresh from rep footy, so he wouldn't have been cheap .... if we had no expectation of doing anything remotely decent in '12 and '13 then why waste money on him and have to backend every other player to make room? ... save $200K and put $55K towards a minimum roster spot

Hayne, Sandow, W Tonga, Fui, Mannah and maybe Ben Smith would be on decent $$s - who else in that list of players is on something that even warrants back ending? .... backending is for big contracts not cheap fillers

bartman

Immortal
So, if W. Tonga is on $250,000 pa, and if Leeds are willing to take him off us (for 160,00ish pounds pa), then (including our spare $110,000) we would have $360,000 to throw at Izzy in his first season with us. That has to be acceptable to Schubert, given Folau's time out of the game, and then we can pledge to (gulp) back-end Folau's deal in future seasons as part of the bargaining with the NRL about the cap.

The Tonga brothers signing was just one of those that didn't work out. Esi proved to be a dud as far as first grade was concerned, and Willie's desire to play alongside him didn't really come off due to injury and form. In retrospect, I'm sure even would agree Kearney paid overs for the Tongas, and so if Leeds or anyone else can take Willie off our hands pronto, with Ricky attracting the like of Folau (and Hock the season after) we'll be much better off. :pray:

Noise

Coach
Interesting last couple of pages.

Firstly if you didnt sign any of those players were you expecting to not field a team the past couple of years.

Fact is you had to sign bodies, to not re-sign your own players, journymen or young talents would have cost you a hell of alot more, which you obviously couldnt afford. And funnily enough werent most signed up till the start of this mythical 2014 season.

And while you may be paying for some of the contracts of a few players if they were still at your club you wouldnt even be a chance to sign Fetuli Talanoa let alone Issy.

Im not talking about the past couple of years. I'm talking about 2013. It seems we are still in trouble for 2013 but in might be in better shape for the mythical 2014. People keep making excuses for kearney but it seems he signed and approved the $$$ of everyone bar hayne for next year. i just want to know, if this salary cap problem for 2013 is not his fault, then who's is it?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Regardkess of the $110k figure there appear to be other issues that people have legitimately raised which do not sit with Schubert.

The first one that springs to mind is why do we have such an average squad and still only $110k to spend on Izzy :)

Read between the lines.

We had the same shit squad four or five months ago when we were offering big money to other players. Now that money seems to be gone, which means something must have been done with it.

Maybe it's been spent as a signing bonus (front loading) for a certain player to re-sign. A certain player who won't be announced until closer to the elections maybe.

Or maybe the half a million we offered to T-Rex was spent on Lorenzo Ma'afu and the other nuffies we signed in the past month or two.

Kornstar

Coach
i'm a bit sick of the SK apologists - this is his team, ask pou he knows .... yes everyone else before him f'ed up in some way, but if we are doing it tough now with what we have then everyone who's been involved since the end of 2010 has had their fingers in it too

From the day they sacked Anderson and bought in SK, the club has gone out of its way to blame everything on Anderson.

We have heard this from Delboy and Stagger (and a few others) who have contacts in the club, The ones they deem "influential" supporters if you will. They were all (the board etc.) quick to rid themselves of all blame and lump it on Anderson.

This is in no way an attack on the likes of Stagger or Delboy, they are just passing on what they were told and I like everyone very much appreciate the info they bring and don't question for a second the info they pass on is exactly what they have been told.

My opinion is that a lot of shit has happened and led us to this position, who is to blame? All of them has added there little bit of trouble.

What we are seeing though is that SK seems to be completely blameless, even though he re-signed a fair chunk of the squad.

He as part of the problem and if he truly was committed to his 5 year plan, why were we throwing shit tonnes of money at any player off contract during the year? Surely letting all those contracts run out at the end of next year would have been the better plan?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Im not talking about the past couple of years. I'm talking about 2013. It seems we are still in trouble for 2013

We have a full squad of 35 players, we're under the salary cap, and the pre-season has started. How are we in trouble?

Noise

Coach
Read between the lines.

We had the same shit squad four or five months ago when we were offering big money to other players. Now that money seems to be gone, which means something must have been done with it.

Maybe it's been spent as a signing bonus (front loading) for a certain player to re-sign. A certain player who won't be announced until closer to the elections maybe.

Or maybe the half a million we offered to T-Rex was spent on Lorenzo Ma'afu and the other nuffies we signed in the past month or two.

Poupou could be onto something here! I hope he's right. (on the hayne thing, not the Ma'afu thing)

Noa

First Grade
Im not talking about the past couple of years. I'm talking about 2013. It seems we are still in trouble for 2013 but in might be in better shape for the mythical 2014. People keep making excuses for kearney but it seems he signed and approved the $$$ of everyone bar hayne for next year. i just want to know, if this salary cap problem for 2013 is not his fault, then who's is it?

The fact is though you had to sign some-body to field a team. If he doesnt sign those players listed, youd have spent a hell of alot more bringing in quality players from outside the club (and lord knows he tried)

Noise

Coach
We have a full squad of 35 players, we're under the salary cap, and the pre-season has started. How are we in trouble?

Because we have the same team that ran last plus lussick....though minus Kearney so maybe we are in a bit less trouble

bartman

Immortal
My opinion is that a lot of shit has happened and led us to this position, who is to blame? All of them has added there little bit of trouble.

What we are seeing though is that SK seems to be completely blameless, even though he re-signed a fair chunk of the squad.

He as part of the problem and if he truly was committed to his 5 year plan, why were we throwing shit tonnes of money at any player off contract during the year? Surely letting all those contracts run out at the end of next year would have been the better plan?
The only reason SK is being put forward as blameless is because he is 100% an appointment of this incumbent Board - an appointment they are now rightly ashamed of. And if the incumbent Board (and those who swallow their PR) admitted Kearney was to blame, they fear that there would be a backlash about the incompetence of the past two season at the ballot boxes.

Much easier to talk up how players must have been to blame etc instead of the Board's Kearney appointment, and instead of allowing critical analysis of what might be the true cause of the (now ongoing?) squad problems.

IFR33K

Coach
Read between the lines.

Maybe a certain coach 4 or 5 months ago didn't know how much cash was left in the cap. Coaching wasn't a good asset of his, but maybe he was a worse mathematician.

IFR33K

Coach
The only reason SK is being put forward as blameless is because he is 100% an appointment of this incumbent Board - an appointment they are now rightly ashamed of. And if the incumbent Board (and those who swallow their PR) admitted Kearney was to blame, they fear that there would be a backlash about the incompetence of the past two season at the ballot boxes.

Much easier to talk up how players must have been to blame etc instead of the Board's Kearney appointment, and instead of allowing critical analysis of what might be the true cause of the (now ongoing?) squad problems.

I know you can't read his posts, but poo poo said he agrees with you. And rightly so.

bartman

Immortal
Willie tonga gets 700k from a back ended deal next year so he won't leave
Tell me that figure isn't true....! :crazy:
I know you can't read his posts, but poo poo said he agrees with you. And rightly so.
:lol: Careful. Suity gets upset if anyone even mention his special forum "mate".

260_brokebackmountain.jpg

spiderdan

Bench
From the day they sacked Anderson and bought in SK, the club has gone out of its way to blame everything on Anderson.

We have heard this from Delboy and Stagger (and a few others) who have contacts in the club, The ones they deem "influential" supporters if you will. They were all (the board etc.) quick to rid themselves of all blame and lump it on Anderson.

This is in no way an attack on the likes of Stagger or Delboy, they are just passing on what they were told and I like everyone very much appreciate the info they bring and don't question for a second the info they pass on is exactly what they have been told.

a part of why sk was brought here was so he could morph us into storm v2.0. maybe a part of that plan was signing players the same way storm did before they were caught for mega breaches of the cap.

it seems something seriously fked up is happening in our administration. i can't understand how we could possibly be in a position now to having bugger all to spend after the info the media reported, and stagger and a couple of others passed on here put us in a position to be able to offer the type of money that we supposedly offered and was turned down by players like hinchcliffe, lewis and blair - and that's even taking into account ppe's theory of upgrades to current players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we had back-ended deals just prior to SK, then this would have left him little room when making new deals. Thus, the need to back-end any deals he made.

Thus leaving us in our current position of little cap space.

You might have shit taste in tv shows but you sure can explain the snowball effect for idiots.

Latest posts