What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Eelogical

Referee
I am not blaming anybody in particular. I am just an average fan who isn't privy to the machinations of the Parra football club or the NRL. The main deal with me is that the deafening ring of silence is profound whilst the NRL, Parra and anybody else who has a finger in the pie are making a bumbling, protracted issue out of this. Seems everone has to be seen to earn their money.

strider

Post Whore
i'm a bit sick of the SK apologists - this is his team, ask pou he knows .... yes everyone else before him f'ed up in some way, but if we are doing it tough now with what we have then everyone who's been involved since the end of 2010 has had their fingers in it too

So The club and player can agree to amount they are happy with but then the NRL can say no, we think he should be getting paid this much so thats what the contract has to say?
So did they value the Australian Captain and Queensland Legend at $200k a year? but Israel Folau who hasn't played rugby league for 2 years is vauled at, wait for it....$500k a year?
This reaks of double standards.

Avenger

Immortal
Economic mismanagement????

The guy is a chartered accountant.

I could tell you a thing or two about some accountants I have come across but literally I'm not allowed to. Chartered accountant :lol::lol:. Big f**king deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I could tell you a thing or two about some accountants I have come across but literally I'm not allowed to. Chartered accountant :lol::lol:. Big f**king deal.

Can you let me know which ones as I still haven't put in last years tax return and want to know which ones to avoid

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach

Chartered accountants and accountants are very very different things!!

To use footy as the similee:
CA = Hayne
Accountant = Taulima Tautai.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Out of that lot, besides hayne, who are we paying for in 2013?

Out of our top 25 players for 2013 the only players i can think of that kearney didn't sign are hayne and mannah? How is it anyone elses fault?

They arent here in 2013. Are we still paying any of these guys?

Maybe I didn't explain the term 'snowball effect' properly... But a lot has been said about backended deals and you don't heavilly backended deals unless you have to, paying players no longer at the club has hurt us big time but hey! At least maroubra can sleep easy knowing morts is no longer at the club despite the fact we were still paying him this year..

oldmancraigy

Coach
Regardkess of the $110k figure there appear to be other issues that people have legitimately raised which do not sit with Schubert.

The first one that springs to mind is why do we have such an average squad and still only $110k to spend on Izzy :)

No doubt that's a question worth asking!
But that wasn't the one I was previously answering...

Easy to be a little too harsh on the cap management side of things too. It's a tough job, and a club is bound to spend almost the full cap every season anyway (like $3.8 out of $4.3 mill). So if you miss out on good players, you're FORCED to overpay duds.
I don't like it, but that's the way it goes currently.... [anti-profiteering measure for the clubs, they're aiming to force clubs to be competitive rather than just losing every season while only spending $1m and raking in $3m+ for the club's benefit]

From what I understand, we were UNDER the cap by close to $500k this season, and PERHAPS the push to sign TW or Hinchcliffe involved a 'signing bonus' (which uses current season salary cap space).

I'm not defending the overpaying of a useless squad, but it's worth noting that you've got to use most of cap amount anyway, regardless of talent level.....

strider

Post Whore
Maybe I didn't explain the term 'snowball effect' properly... But a lot has been said about backended deals and you don't heavilly backended deals unless you have to, paying players no longer at the club has hurt us big time but hey! At least maroubra can sleep easy knowing morts is no longer at the club despite the fact we were still paying him this year..

so what is the snowball? .... backending hayne? and others? ... if backending got us into a mess then why did they decide to make it snowball? why not stop it in it's tracks?

we came dead f'n last almost 2 yrs in a row ... SK let shack and morts go - if you are going to sacrifice and come last then just bloody live with them until their contracts end, don't blame having to pay them when they play elsewhere as a reason for being in the shit

if 2013 is a big cap problem for us then SK and nolan played a part in it irrespective of anyone else before them

bartman

Immortal
People wanted Denis gone..... it was that simple. Mind you they did a good job of it - used other people to stand in the limelight and slowly move their way in. Pulled the wool over the eyes of many..... and cotinues to do so.
The same "many" who didn't want to be told to be suspicious and measured about the change at the time....

bartman

Immortal
I don't give a flying fart who signed who for whatever amount. At this point in time it seems there is way too much going on behind the scenes to make one player join the Eels. Salary cap this, third party deal that. A lot of people are staying silent while they rearrange the deckchairs. Personally, I would like to see Israel join the team, but I am becoming rather suspicious of how this "done deal" that isn't a "done deal" will become a "done deal".
Who knows, maybe it's just a membership/election PR ploy after all?

Would be interested to hear Nolan's views on chasing Izzy....:sarcasm:

bartman

Immortal
Regardkess of the $110k figure there appear to be other issues that people have legitimately raised which do not sit with Schubert.
:shock: That's no good, that means people can't just use a scapegoat outside the club, and might have to start examining things critically...?

If we had back-ended deals just prior to SK, then this would have left him little room when making new deals. Thus, the need to back-end any deals he made.

Thus leaving us in our current position of little cap space.

bartman

Immortal
So if our top 25 for 2013 looks something like this:

Hayne, Sio, Blair, Morgan, Tonga, Kelly, Roberts, Sandow, N. Smith, Keating, Allgood, Fui, Mannah, Lussick, Harrison, Matuia, Paulo, Ryan, Loko, Mullaney, Tautai, Lasalo, O'Hanlon, Brien, Ben Smith

All the bolded players were signed by someone other than Kearney. Whose fault was the rest of them? And who is responsible for the salary cap mess we are in for 2013?
:clap: At last, the myth of no-fault Kearney is busted.

i'm a bit sick of the SK apologists - this is his team, ask pou he knows .... yes everyone else before him f'ed up in some way, but if we are doing it tough now with what we have then everyone who's been involved since the end of 2010 has had their fingers in it too
:clap: True, about time some common sense cut through the usual tripe posted on these forums.

so what is the snowball? .... backending hayne? and others? ... if backending got us into a mess then why did they decide to make it snowball? why not stop it in it's tracks?

we came dead f'n last almost 2 yrs in a row ... SK let shack and morts go - if you are going to sacrifice and come last then just bloody live with them until their contracts end, don't blame having to pay them when they play elsewhere as a reason for being in the shit

if 2013 is a big cap problem for us then SK and nolan played a part in it irrespective of anyone else before them
Yep. When placed in this perspective, the SK years (and the Board's decision to shift/pay out a contracted coach to employ him) are truly our opportunity lost. Those decisions should not be forgotten imo, just because we've now signed Stuart (a good move in itself), and have apparently been chasing Hock and Folau (conveniently just before the election).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

That's it - if you continue to backend every contract and then I guess you have to expect that the club itself will be 'backended' by the salary cap monster (and it appears that Schubert isn't gentle either...).

bartman

Immortal
People might have thought it worth it if we'd actually achieved decent results with these back-ended deals. But running last with one round to go and then getting the spoon the next season isn't much to show for the position we've (apparently) ended up in.

Cheers Kearney and Spagnolo! :alcho:

Noa

First Grade
So if our top 25 for 2013 looks something like this:

Hayne, Sio, Blair, Morgan, Tonga, Kelly, Roberts, Sandow, N. Smith, Keating, Allgood, Fui, Mannah, Lussick, Harrison, Matuia, Paulo, Ryan, Loko, Mullaney, Tautai, Lasalo, O'Hanlon, Brien, Ben Smith

All the bolded players were signed by someone other than Kearney. Whose fault was the rest of them? And who is responsible for the salary cap mess we are in for 2013?

Interesting last couple of pages.

Firstly if you didnt sign any of those players were you expecting to not field a team the past couple of years.

Fact is you had to sign bodies, to not re-sign your own players, journymen or young talents would have cost you a hell of alot more, which you obviously couldnt afford. And funnily enough werent most signed up till the start of this mythical 2014 season.

And while you may be paying for some of the contracts of a few players if they were still at your club you wouldnt even be a chance to sign Fetuli Talanoa let alone Issy.