What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

BLM01

First Grade
Do we really want some bigot contradictory dickhead with antiquated thoughts playing for our team? Maybe we can hire Margaret Court as an assistant as well?
Don’t care and don’t give 2 flying ducks about what his beliefs are
There you go my beliefs are probably different to yours as is everyone else’s
I’m only worried about what he can produce on the field for us that’s as far as it goes
But I do know this he will attract people to our games regardless

hewi

Bench
I’m only worried about what he can produce on the field for us that’s as far as it goes

He is a Christian and has those beliefs , they are not mine and others as well but there is such a thing as free speech. If he keeps his mouth shut and performs on the field I don’t have a problem with it.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

mate, everyone has different beliefs. But if your beliefs are belittling a group of people and saying that they’ll go to hell, then keep your beliefs to yourself. I don’t care how good he is on the field.

mickeylane

Bench
He is a Christian and has those beliefs , they are not mine and others as well but there is such a thing as free speech. If he keeps his mouth shut and performs on the field I don’t have a problem with it.
he will be gagged not from the Dragons but the NRL....so no worries there...he wont say a word except on the field...right centre, full back doesn't matter but I do know that our halves will have some massive targets to aim for w high kicks in Lomax and Folau...4 pointers will be raining week in week out..

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The problem is he hasn’t been keeping his mouth shut

possm

Coach
The are many religious Australians - christian and muslum who hold the same beliefs but choose not to air them. Let's hope there is a clause in his contract that helps him understand this.

denis preston

First Grade
Have we just negotiated our first real 3rd party deal ? Has WIN / Gordon got off their arse and done something ? Dont like that he would take Feagels place and perhaps fullback is better value but Dufty would just love running off those passes. Accounting for the terrible defence in some of that footage he still appears to have the acceleration /step and would like the extra space he will get away from international rugby. Yes he has some very strange beliefs so contractually he should keep his comments to football only but he is not a wife beater , drug cheat , thug etc. If i didn't want players to play with the Dragons due to morals or zany religious beliefs we would struggle to put a side together each week.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
One question... If he was Muslim would the media have a problem with him and make such a big deal about it? I think not
It never had anything to do with his religion. The controversy was due to his archaic views on gays.

BLM01

First Grade
mate, everyone has different beliefs. But if your beliefs are belittling a group of people and saying that they’ll go to hell, then keep your beliefs to yourself. I don’t care how good he is on the field.
Agree He should keep them to himself
and I also agree that people that are outraged by his comments should ignore them and also keep their comments to themselves
it’s a no-win win on social media

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Free speech doesn't extend to causing harm to others in the community.

As for keeping his mouth shut, that's a big if. The NRL and Saints only have to look at what happened with Rugby Union. They thought they had a written agreement with Folau, in the end it meant nothing.

The more pressing issue from his words is that people actually believe there is an option of heaven or hell when they die.

When I die, my God John Holmes is giving me the choice to spend eternity in a beer bar in Pattaya or Mumbai. I know which one I am choosing.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
It never had anything to do with his religion. The controversy was due to his archaic views on gays.

True that.

We are all from different backgrounds and we should respect each others views, regardless of whether we agree or disagree with them, especially when they are doing nothing legally wrong.

As a role model and someone in the public eye on a regular basis, he has no right to incite others, just because he does hold the same beliefs.

On top of that, if he is contracted to a club at the time, he has the duty to refrain from publishing his view, knowing full well, that he is bringing his employer into the controversy. This is a team sport yet, in the past, his comments have been more about what he thinks and not the view of the team or club.

If he does indeed come to the Dragons, we can only hope he has learnt from his past and keep his views to himself, move forward and play well for the big red V.