What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football - Soccer, League, Union, Aussie Rules

Raiders Rock

Juniors
Raiders Rock said:
woodgers said:
69 can just carry the water.
Just like his hero, Cross

Hey Woodgers, great pic dude, Johnny Warren was an absolute champion on & off the field. I have a great Johnny Warren story to tell you, I'm proud to say that I got my copy of "Sheilas, Mediterranean Descendants & twinkies" autograped by Johnny about six months ago when I saw him walking through the QVB. I had just picked it up from Dymocks bookstore on George St and was walking back to work through the QVB when I saw him leaning against the rail on a mobile phone.

He must have been very ill but he was happy to sign it for me and was still talking with passion about "Football" the game he loved... he was very clear that it should be called football and not soccer. Who would have thought he'd be gone six months later.

He'll be sadly missed by all of us. :( :( :(

woodgers

Bench
Hey Woodgers, great pic dude, Johnny Warren was an absolute champion on & off the field. I have a great Johnny Warren story to tell you, I'm proud to say that I got my copy of "Sheilas, Mediterranean Descendants & twinkies" autograped by Johnny about six months ago when I saw him walking through the QVB. I had just picked it up from Dymocks bookstore on George St and was walking back to work through the QVB when I saw him leaning against the rail on a mobile phone.

He must have been very ill but he was happy to sign it for me and was still talking with passion about "Football" the game he loved... he was very clear that it should be called football and not soccer. Who would have thought he'd be gone six months later.

He'll be sadly missed by all of us.

Thanks for that Rock. He was probably the most commited individual I have ever heard of. He was relentless in his pursuit of growing the game in Australia and we will be poorer for him not being around. The new league should play for the Johnny Warren Cup or something. I'm sure he will be in my thoughts at next years qualifier regardless of whether we acheive the ultimate and make it to the World Cup.

woodgers

Bench
football = rugby league.
Rubbish, how often do you use your feet in Rugby? Even then you would be lucky if there are 2-3 players in the team that can actually kick the footy anywhere near where they want it, the Raiders don't have one!

Kris_man

Bench
football = rugby league. soccer = gayball. your argument is frequently used, and it's a silly one. names are not intended to be taken literally. we're called the Raiders - do we "raid" anyone? if names were meant to be taken literally, then soccer would be put-the-audience-to-sleep-ball, and rugby union would be shove-your-head-up-another-guys-arse-ball. football may have, in the past, referred to the game where you use your feet to kick a ball, but it has evolved linguistically, as all words do in time, to mean something else. it now refers to a broad category of sports which have in some way evolved from soccer, what we called the different "codes". which one specifically is "football" depends on where you are, it refers to the main code of that area. and by gosh, i hope soccer never becomes football in New South Wales.

woodgers

Bench
If names were meant to be taken literally you would be Dribbler instead of Kris Man. The round ball code is known as Football by billions the world over and has done so for centuries. Rugby League is Rugby League hence nRL and has only been around since 1908. League is a really good game but Football or Footy is just slang for the game just like AFL fans say they watch footy also. My understanding is that Soccer is a dodgy American spin off name that should never have been associated with the great game. The new league is going to be called the A League but referred to as Football. I don't think Australians will call it Football, or at least not for a long time but I will certainly be one that does.

hrundi99

First Grade
What woodgers said.

Gayball? Give me a f**king break.

It's only the biggest and most important sport in the world.

Like Dylan said, "don't criticise what you can't understand".

greeneyed

First Grade
I agree with Kris. Football IS rugby league. Just because they call it something somewhere else does not mean we are wrong here in Australia. Soccer has not existed for much longer than rugby league. Rugby league is the most popular sport on the eastern seaboard in Australia and deserves its title as "football". Soccer is a minority sport that can't expect any more recognition than it gets at present.

And the suggestion that in rugby league the ball does not come into connection with the foot is wrong. It does at every kickoff, in every ruck, scrum, in every line drop out, in every penalty kick or tap, in virtually every fifth tackle option kick.....

hrundi99

First Grade
All 4 games are called football.

It doesn't mean soccer shouldn't be called football either.

greeneyed

First Grade
Yes, but in rugby league territory, when someone says.... "I am going to the football on the weekend" they understand it means rugby league. Same in AFL territory in relation to their sport. Union and Soccer are not recognised in the same fashion.

Kris_man

Bench
hrundi99 said:
What woodgers said.

Gayball? Give me a f***ing break.

It's only the biggest and most important sport in the world.

Like Dylan said, "don't criticise what you can't understand".
don't understand? what's there not to understand?! it might be the most popular sport in the world, but it's not the most popular sport in Australia. and where do we live again? Australia! far out, and you wanna talk about a lack of understanding.

Football=Soccer
Footy= Rugby League.

I here Rugby League refered to as "footy" a lot more than football

BTW football (soccer) has the highest participation rate of any sport in Australia, so its crazy to say that it isn't popular.

greeneyed

First Grade
Gardening has more participation too. But is watching the grass grow exciting?

I also don't recall posting in this thread before... but I must have? :? :? :?

woodgers

Bench
Soccer is a minority sport that can't expect any more recognition than it gets at present.

C'mon Greeneyed, your having a laugh. You do realise that more kids play 'soccer' than any other sport in this country? Also, it is the most popular junior sport in Canberra. I played the round ball on a Saturday as a kid and League on a Sunday.

I will tell you why I prefer a good game of football to a good game of league. In league you can be a Rodney Howe, pump yourself up full of juice, grab a football and run forward with aggression and make a career. In football you need to have the talent and skill otherwise you get nowhere. It is an advantage to be strong on the ball but if you don't have the skill, touch and ball skills then you won't get a game for Belconnen United in state league NSW. Bulgarelli is your classic case of a nuffy playing top level rugby league. I could name heaps of league players that have the skill level of an 8 year old girl, Martin Lang anyone? No one can tell me what he does is talented, as mentioned above he holds a ball and runs like Forrest Gump.

To stick to the topic, it must be called football. The world calls it that so why should Australia be different? It won't matter if someone says 'I'm going to the football'. The new A League is going to be a summer sport so people will know what you are on about. Get some culture and watch a game ASAP, appreciate the technical ability and the rollercoaster of emotions that makes the game so beautiful.

The game will grow......Johnny Warren told us so.

Copa

Bench
hrundi99 said:
Football was called "football" long before league, aussie rules or union were.

When was aussie rules football codified and when was soccer (football)codified?

Latest posts