What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football - Soccer, League, Union, Aussie Rules

greeneyed

First Grade
:lol: :lol: :lol: A debate that will be like a never ending circle.....

I thought it was a lot easier than coming up with all the traditional stuff about league accomodating all players with different skills and body types....

greeneyed

First Grade
Copa said:
hrundi99 said:
Football was called "football" long before league, aussie rules or union were.

When was aussie rules football codified and when was soccer (football)codified?

All current codes were codified in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Kris_man

Bench
there's a heaps wider range of skills in rugby league than soccer. all they do is kick a ball, which has no variation in bounce. maybe the reason that there are so many more "Jason Bulgarelli's" in rugby league than soccer is that so many more people play soccer.

woodgers

Bench
there's a heaps wider range of skills in rugby league than soccer
:lol: :lol: :lol: It could be time for the ignore button.

You are not serious are you? I don't know anyone who has honestly tried to argue that point, surely you don't believe that. You have never played the game have you? The skills and technical aspect of the game are so great that is why you often see 1-0 ot 1-1.

Panjabi

Juniors
Soccer is derived from the word 'association soccer'.

there's a heaps wider range of skills in rugby league than soccer
You can try a simple test to disprove this theory, try juggling a ball with your hands, you could probably keep it up for as long as you want, now try the same test with your feet, this what defines those with skill and those without..

Kris_man

Bench
woodgers said:
You are not serious are you? I don't know anyone who has honestly tried to argue that point, surely you don't believe that. You have never played the game have you? The skills and technical aspect of the game are so great that is why you often see 1-0 ot 1-1.
pfft, the games are so low scoring 'cos players just stand there passing to each other all game. and soccer's tendency for low scores is a major factor in the game's boringness. and i find it completely irrelevant whether or not someone before me has tried to argue this point or not.

Kris_man

Bench
You can try a simple test to disprove this theory, try juggling a ball with your hands, you could probably keep it up for as long as you want, now try the same test with your feet, this what defines those with skill and those without..
anyone who thinks this is a valid test has serious analytical difficulties.

MEE

Juniors
Some of you in here are seriously uncultured. Football is the game of the world, Rugby League is the game of Sydney. 'Nuff said.

R.I.P Johnny. You'll never walk alone.

greeneyed

First Grade
MEE said:
Some of you in here are seriously uncultured. Football is the game of the world, Rugby League is the game of Sydney. 'Nuff said.

R.I.P Johnny. You'll never walk alone.

Actually, this shows how uncultured you are. Rugby league does not belong to Sydney. It belongs to Australia. To the UK. To NZ. To France. To PNG..... to many other places.

And the soccer hooligans in the UK are "cultured"? The ones who repeatedly riot and who led to the deaths of many in those crowd riots? Who lead to the repeated acts of serious (and I mean serious) violence when soccer games are played? Please, don't pretend that soccer is cultured and league is not.

Panjabi

Juniors
Anyone who thinks this is a valid test has serious analytical difficulties

This coming from a person who actually believes more skills are required to play league rather than football, i'd question thier analytical abilities.

mike83au

Juniors
Football has sort of become the generic term for most ball sports in Australia that is played on a large field. Which is ok, i guess.... but each sport is still identified by its unique brand of code. ie. union, league, afl, etc....

'Football' is a sport instantly recognised throughout planet Earth as the world game (and to us as soccer). Whether it is worse or better than other sports is debatable but surely the name of the sport is not.

However, something that does get up my nose is calling our national team the Socceroos. We expect to gain credability throughout the world as a nation that can be a power in football, qualify for World Cups and get decent results and we degrade our national team by calling them some fictious name, rather than the Country they represent? It's appalling.

Go the Raiders :lol:

Latest posts