What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football - Soccer, League, Union, Aussie Rules

hrundi99

First Grade
greeneyed said:
And the soccer hooligans in the UK are "cultured"? The ones who repeatedly riot and who led to the deaths of many in those crowd riots? Who lead to the repeated acts of serious (and I mean serious) violence when soccer games are played? Please, don't pretend that soccer is cultured and league is not.

That has as much to do with football as it does alcohol.

ie hooligans are a subculture to themselves, and they'd be hooligans whether football existed or not.

Yes, judge a sport by the minority of it's supporters. Kind of like saying league supporters are mugs based on the Bulldogs Army.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Don't start spouting sh*te about a subject you have no understanding of Greeneyed. The majoirty of football related violence in Europe is due to political and social problems, rather than anything to do with the game. It happens at football as it is an easy place to do it. Kris Man, you really have made yourself look like a fool in this thread. You're saying Chris Beattie is mroe skillful than Ronaldinho? haha

Kris_man

Bench
Raider Ultra said:
Kris Man, you really have made yourself look like a fool in this thread. You're saying Chris Beattie is mroe skillful than Ronaldinho?
pathetic, Ultra, that's barely worth answering. you've compared one of the least skilful players in a small sample to one of the most skilful players, in another MUCH larger sample.

anyway, necessary skill level shouldn't come into it when deciding which is the better sport, otherwise we'd all be watching gymnastics. neither should culture, really. we're talking about sports, not bloody nations. and you guys, namely woodgers and MEE, who are trying to suggest that people who don't enjoy soccer are uncultured, well, that's just the height of f*cking snobbery.

Raider_69

Post Whore
its alot to do with soccer envying league fir its greatness and league envying soccer for its popularity

woodgers

Bench
pfft, the games are so low scoring 'cos players just stand there passing to each other all game. and soccer's tendency for low scores is a major factor in the game's boringness. and i find it completely irrelevant whether or not someone before me has tried to argue this point or not.
Just stand there all game passing to each other??? Oh dear. The movement and skill of getting into a position and then getting the ball to that person is top class. Unlike League where you can pretty much just watch the player with the footy, in Football you have to be aware of players making runs and getting in behind you as well as the ball.

Your low score arguement is hopeless. So are you now going to argue that Basketball, Cricket and AFL are better than League because more points are scored in a match? The thrill you get when your team scores (or if you are a gun like me, score yourself) is fantastic. THE LOW SCORING IS PART OF THE ATTRACTION.

The point I was trying to make about no one argueing that point before is that I didn't think anyone would bother because it seems pretty clear cut.

and you guys, namely woodgers and MEE, who are trying to suggest that people who don't enjoy soccer are uncultured, well, that's just the height of f*cking snobbery.
Fine, snobbery it is. Better than argueing about something you obviously have little knowledge about. I love, have played and watch both sports so I feel a little more qualified to have an informed opinion than someone who blatently refered to one game as Gayball and then went on to ridicule himself by saying players stand there kicking the ball to one another all game like a kids sport. You may have well have said that the estimated 3 billion people that watch the world cup final every 4 years are stupid and that you know better.

Greeneyed, Ultra is correct on the violence issue. There is more often than not more to the violence than a football match. Rangers and Celtic hate each other for religious reasons as do so many other clubs. Newcastle fans in the north of England for example feel like they want to fight with the north London fans because they are more wealthy and so on. The violence on the international stage is more about those 'super patriots' that feel like they are doing their part for their country. It is a complicated subject and one that I did a study on in college.

hrundi99

First Grade
woodgers said:
Newcastle fans in the north of England for example feel like they want to fight with the north London fans because they are more wealthy and so on.

:D

Kris_man said:
woodgers said:
You are not serious are you? I don't know anyone who has honestly tried to argue that point, surely you don't believe that. You have never played the game have you? The skills and technical aspect of the game are so great that is why you often see 1-0 ot 1-1.
pfft, the games are so low scoring 'cos players just stand there passing to each other all game. and soccer's tendency for low scores is a major factor in the game's boringness. and i find it completely irrelevant whether or not someone before me has tried to argue this point or not.

When a game of Soccer is 0-0 it means any team coulld have won it in the last minute, if a game of Rugby League fends up 56-0 is that really more exciting? Whats more boring a match where any team coudl steal victory in the last minute or a match when we know who is going to win after 25?

Kris_man

Bench
no, woodgers, i don't think AFL and basketball are the best sports 'cos of their high scoring - i actually don't like them because of their high scores. to me, rugby league has the perfect balance - not too high scoring, not too low scoring. and i played in the under-7s Carrs Park soccer team, i know what i'm talking about 8)
woodgers said:
You may have well have said that the estimated 3 billion people that watch the world cup final every 4 years are stupid and that you know better.
big whoop, the popularity argument never has any impact with me. if popularity was all that mattered, then Britney Spears would be the best singer in the world, and Craig Wing would be the best footy player (not that he's not close)
woodgers said:
he movement and skill of getting into a position and then getting the ball to that person is top class.
it may or may not be skilful, but f*ck me it's boring to watch.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
DJ Raida said:
mmmaaannncchhheessttteerrrrr!

Alan Smith sucks **** ;-)

And the bloody Aussies piss me off by saying League is Footy, you even have Adrian Morley saying it now!

We all know Leeds United are the best team in the World!

Kris_man

Bench
DB, you just like anything that involves balls. i always thought handball was your favourite, though?

greeneyed

First Grade
It soccer hooligans don't have anything to do with soccer, how come there is no such thing as rugby league hooligans in the UK?

hrundi99

First Grade
greeneyed said:
It soccer hooligans don't have anything to do with soccer, how come there is no such thing as rugby league hooligans in the UK?

There probably are but because there are so few people who attend league games in comparison, you never hear about them.

woodgers

Bench

No one said that it wasn't connected. The point we were getting at is that they aren't fighting because 'my team is better than yours'. As Ultra says it is an easy way to have a ruck about issues not directly related to the game. The way the game works is that often different groups get involved with a certain club, eg. Due to demographics as well as culture Tottenham have a big Jewish following. Celtic in Scotland I think are Catholic (I think?) with their local rivals Rangers are Prodestants - It may be the other way around sorry if I offended anyone! Instead of both sides arranging a fight, they know that the 2 or more occasions they meet each year they can have it out with the people they hate.

One of the worst football violence acts was a few years ago when England played at Belfast. All the far right wing lunnies came out, as well as the Nazi factions and caused all the trouble. I read an article by someone who belongs to one of those political parties who told the story of how politicians arranged for them to be at the game due to the fact they knew that trouble would be caused. A majority of those people fighting didn't follow football in the slightest but turned up to fight about the English occupation in Northern Ireland.

Those are just 2 examples. The reason you don't get that in the Rugby League is because they are not affiliated with any groups or sections of the community.

greeneyed

First Grade
woodgers said:

No one said that it wasn't connected. The point we were getting at is that they aren't fighting because 'my team is better than yours'. As Ultra says it is an easy way to have a ruck about issues not directly related to the game. The way the game works is that often different groups get involved with a certain club, eg. Due to demographics as well as culture Tottenham have a big Jewish following. Celtic in Scotland I think are Catholic (I think?) with their local rivals Rangers are Prodestants - It may be the other way around sorry if I offended anyone! Instead of both sides arranging a fight, they know that the 2 or more occasions they meet each year they can have it out with the people they hate.

One of the worst football violence acts was a few years ago when England played at Belfast. All the far right wing lunnies came out, as well as the Nazi factions and caused all the trouble. I read an article by someone who belongs to one of those political parties who told the story of how politicians arranged for them to be at the game due to the fact they knew that trouble would be caused. A majority of those people fighting didn't follow football in the slightest but turned up to fight about the English occupation in Northern Ireland.

Those are just 2 examples. The reason you don't get that in the Rugby League is because they are not affiliated with any groups or sections of the community.

Woodgers. We are in agreement. Soccer has hooligans in the UK and League doesn't.

Raider Ultra

Bench
The fighting at the Ireland-England match in 1995 was initiated by pro-British loyalists who were trying to derail the 'peace process', the fact it was a football match, had nothing to do with it. Greeneyed, the question you ask has been covered very extensively by academics, I can sed you some journal articles if you want :mrgreen:

Latest posts