What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football - Soccer, League, Union, Aussie Rules

greeneyed

First Grade
Thanks Raiders Ultra, but I don't need the academic articles to work out which of the sports has more crowd violence. :)

Lego_Man

First Grade
Greetings Raiders Fans

Seems to be a bit of confusion here....all i want to say is that its perfectly acceptable to refer to Union, League, AFL, Soccer etc as football.....basically because they are ALL different subtypes of football that come under the general descriptive name "football"

Union was originally invented as an offshoot of "soccer" (its official name is Rugby Football, it was invented at Rugby School in England) and since League is a further offshoot of Union, you can obviously refer to it as football as well, even though thats not its official name.

Im not sure about the history of AFL (being a New Zealander) but i assume its much the same thing. As the guy above me somewhere said, the whole thing dates back to the 19th century when rules were not standardised and different localities in England would play different types of football with different rules...but they would all come under the umbrella description of "football" (which has continued to the present day)

Personally i refer to the codes as: Rugby Union =Rugby/football/footy(occasionally)
Rugby League = League
AFL = Aussie Rules
"Football" = Soccer

But anyway, if youre trying to argue that "football" is a special title reserved for the spherical ball game, youre totally incorrect

Latest posts