What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Legends movie out tomorrow

Gibbo

Juniors
For all those who were worried about the quality of the movie Footy Legends (released tomorrow) in today's Austalian Australia's premiere film critic David Stratton gave it an overwhelmingly positive review. This is especially significant as he has a history of generally disliking 'feel-good' films and recent Australian comedies.
(quote)
'The second feature film from Kahn Do ia an entertaining, if implausible, feelgood movie about a team of unemployed kids from Sydney's Western suburbs who form a footy team. There are winning perfomances from most of the cast (i.e. probably not mario), including the director's brother, Ahn Do, who is excellent as the hero, and the scene-stealing Lisa Saggers as his little sister.'

Reviews like this will go a long way to pulling in the general public, and consider the bad publicity league has got lately to have something positive about league out there for all to see is fantastic.
Good on Kahn Do for bringing league back to the big screen and not giving into corporate pressure to turn it into a film about Aussie rules, soccer or rugby union (got that last piece of info from Filmlink magazine).

Peace out, Gibbo.

elyod138

Bench
Both Margaret and David gave it 3.5 on At The Movies tonight, that is very good from them.

Gibbo

Juniors
Also want to give a big shout out to the panthers for helping out the Footy Legends team. [re. Both Margaret and David gave it 3.5] Now no footy fan has an excuse not to see it!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Great stuff. Dave Stretton confessed to not being a sports fan but gave the movie a big thumbs up.

The Movie Show also got the 'rugby league' name right - I was fully expecting the generic 'rugby' to pop up, but they were spot on. So 3.5 stars for Margaret and David.

Also worth noting that the director Khoa Do gave the Penrith club a big wrap for the asistance in providing extras at Panthers' fan day. Apparently the movie only had a budget for 30 extras but Penrith fans came to the rescue and provided a stand full of real footy supporters.

footy_legends_poster.jpg

Release Date: August 3, 2006
Sneak Previews July 28, 29 & 30

Writer/Director: Khoa Do (The Finished People/2005 Young Australian of the Year)

Cast: Anh Do (Pizza), Angus Sampson (TV- Thank God You’re Here), Paul Nakad, Steven Rooke, Emma Lung (Peaches), Peter Phelps (Lantana, Stingers), Claudia Karvan (High Tide, Love My Way) and NRL’s Matthew Johns.

Genre: Comedy

Rating: PG

Running Time: 90 mins

Press Images: www.image.net

Official Site: www.footylegends.com

"...a heartfelt, feel-good winner that beautifully tackles two Aussie essentials: family and footy."
Filmink Magazine

Set in Sydney's western suburbs, FOOTY LEGENDS tells the story of Luc Vu, a young man with an obsession about football. Out of work, and with welfare authorities threatening to take away his little sister, Luc re-unites his old high school football team to win a competition that could change all their lives.

http://www.iconmovies.com.au/footylegends/

You can view the trailer here: http://www.footylegends.com/site.cfm

Everyone should go along and watch the movie. As Gibbo said, its all good publicity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
For those in WA the West Australian has a two for one voucher for the film at Hoyts cinemas this weekend in tonights paper

Jasestorm

Juniors
I saw it last night, it is a very enjoyable film that had the (Melbourne)audience thoroughly entertained. Listening to people as they were leaving, the general consensus was that it exceeded expectations and they enjoyed the footy scenes.

Paullyboy

Coach
It'll be very interesting to see how this movie goes in the non-traditional states compared to the traditional states.

Im going to try and see it this weekend, might go tonight actually.

Lancelot Link

Juniors
Definitely going to see it this weekend! Been waiting for this for a long time ever since I first heard it was going to be made - can't wait! :D

lockyno1

Post Whore
I have just seen it. And surprisingly it was better than I thought. Good storyline as well. I'd give it a 8/10.

simon says

First Grade
Wow,interesting to see if it rates in th US.....we know they are pretty US-centric as far as sports go......

Green Machine

First Grade
Don't forget, next Wednesday at 8.00pm on SBS

http://www.sbs.com.au/whatson/index.php3?progdate=09:08:2006

DOCUMENTARY SERIES - TWO OF US - The Do Brothers This 13-part documentary series is based on the column of the same name in the Good Weekend Magazine, a column that has been running for nine years. Two Of Us charts the most unlikely of pairings and celebrates all kinds of human relationships: romantic love, family bonds, friendship or the extraordinary tenderness that can occur between strangers. Tonight's episode features Anh Do, a stand-up comedian and brother Khoa, a filmmaker. They left Vietnam as refugees on a small fishing boat when Anh was three years old and Khoa was less than two. After a dramatic and dangerous journey, the family ended up in Sydney's western suburbs, where the Do boys grew up. Through tough times, the two Vietnamese-born bothers kept each other entertained with jokes and stories. Their Mel Gibson-backed film Footy Legends presents the Do brother's show to a global audience. Directed by Jane Manning. (Commissioned by SBS Independent, in English) (Part 5) CC WS
SMS Alert Code: 1335

Danos

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
Mel Gibson backed film?

Thats the first Ive heard of that.

Gibson owns Icon, which has the distribution rights to the film. Thats the extent of his involvement.

Latest posts