What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Quiz

innsaneink

Referee
Which team, year, result and opponents had a penalty goal disallowed in a final, despite both touch judges judging the goal successful? :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think it was Souths/Canterbury Grand Final, where Kevin Longbottom's goal was denied by the referee, after the touchies both put their flags up and weren't sure.

innsaneink

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
I think it was Souths/Canterbury Grand Final, where Kevin Longbottom's goal was denied by the referee, after the touchies both put their flags up and weren't sure.

That may be correct, but unfortunately not the game I'm after.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't remember who it was. At first I thought it may have been Herb Brackenreg in 1908 for Easts, but I'm pretty sure he just plain up missed.

For some odd reason I think it might have been Alf Blair for Souths in one of their final wins in the 1920's

innsaneink

Referee
innsaneink said:
Which team, year, result and opponents had a penalty goal disallowed in a final, despite both touch judges judging the goal successful? :lol:

Aug 30. 1919

Balmain 13-4 Easts.

None other than the legendary Dally Messenger was denied a goal by referee Tom McMahon, despite both touch judges raising their flags to signal a fair goal. McMahon claimed the ball sailed wide of the posts, Balmain led 6-2 at the time.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not sure. Maybe it was the game to decide who the minor premiers would be (and also eventual premiers).

It was still awesome trivia though ;-)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, heres a question. What was the colours and design of the Bulldogs jumper in the years 1943 to 1946?