What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Show won't be back

Mr Saab

Referee
El Duque said:
What was that shocker of a show 7 had going with O'Connor on it?

7 should have another go at a seriuos show if they're after the rights. It would certainly get the NRL's attention if they could produce a show that outrates The Footy Show.

it was called "the hard yards" it was on in 1995 and lasted like 7 weeks before being dropped.

Mr Saab

Referee
redVgirl said:
i agree with everything you said except i like harrogan...i think hes sweet and sincere.

he has the personality of a dropped meat pie! You are either suited to TV or not...and Paul Harragon is not

CC_Eagle

First Grade
redVgirl said:
CC_Eagle said:
Keep -

Reg and his streetalk & player interviews
Lookalikes - they never get old :lol:
Going, Going,Goooone
Their House
More RL "feel good stories",especially involving clubs that arent the Knights and Roosters. I know the Manly club is very involved with the community but never gets any media attention.
Occasionally have DareDevil Dudes.Only when its actually "Dare Devil" stuff. Not like going across Express Advocate Stadium in a flying fox.

Add -

Girds to the panel. Get ridd of Cheif. He adds no input whatsoever and his attemps at humor are lame
More Darryl Browman
More MG
More Trevor Gillmeister
More of the Watlers Bros.
More "powerplays". Have atleast a 5-10 minute segment based on the "best plays" of EVERY game.
Run through the games of the past weekend.Best players etc etc. Not as indepth as NRL on Fox as it gets a bit repetative after a while.
Of the hour and a half of the show, have atleast 40 minutes of pure football talk.

YAY! i agree with everything you said except i like harrogan...i think hes sweet and sincere.

Harrigan is a cat :p Has been ever since Spud knocked the mongrel out of him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Chief is a cat
see the paint ball incident?
Sterlo took it all and cheif ran like an absolute girl
never saw him run that quick on of the footy feild

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Chief is a cat
see the paint ball incident?
Sterlo took it all and cheif ran like an absolute girl
never saw him run that quick on of the footy feild

Agreed...Sterlo is as tough as nails..Remember when they took them on the chest in the studio. Sterlo lasted like 10-15 seconds, Chief didn't last longer than 5. Don't blame him though.

redVgirl

Juniors
yeh sterlo is a tough old bugger. especially because he has shocking arthritis in his legs and hobbles around everywhere, but he still does all the beat the boys and daredevil dudes. my dad is a member of the same golf course where he plays alot and reckons he has troubles even walking around! :?

CC_Eagle

First Grade
redVgirl said:
yeh sterlo is a tough old bugger. especially because he has shocking arthritis in his legs and hobbles around everywhere, but he still does all the beat the boys and daredevil dudes. my dad is a member of the same golf course where he plays alot and reckons he has troubles even walking around! :?

He also had a hip replacement sometime this year. I see him up at the shopping centres up here all the time. Absolute champion, he'd be my fav Ch9 commentator.

simostorm

Bench
Since the finals have started the shows have been awesome, probally the best ive ever seen, and thats simply because theve talked more footy.
Thats all they have too do is talk more footy.
Discuss whos in or whos out, how there playing etc....
Reg and Going going goooone must stay,
Ryan Girdler should be on the panel fulltime, bring back "Their House"
Each week they also should have a different guest on the panel,
but no friggin tv celebs or stupid fat old geessers like Darrel Broman.
Daredevil duds is ok but only once a month, I usely get bored with that segment, Beat the Boys absolute crap.

SirShire

First Grade
Keep Sunday one only. Reg should be done away with. He was mad when he was a novelty, now he is just overdone.

JW

Coach
simostorm said:
Since the finals have started the shows have been awesome, probally the best ive ever seen, and thats simply because theve talked more footy.
Thats all they have too do is talk more footy.
Discuss whos in or whos out, how there playing etc....
Reg and Going going goooone must stay,
Ryan Girdler should be on the panel fulltime, bring back "Their House"
Each week they also should have a different guest on the panel,
but no friggin tv celebs or stupid fat old geessers like Darrel Broman.
Daredevil duds is ok but only once a month, I usely get bored with that segment, Beat the Boys absolute crap.

I agree with pretty much all of that.

M. Johns will end hosting this show in the not too distant future I reckon with the way he's going in his career in the media.

This is how i'd have it...

*If what I said above did eventuate, which it probably won't (ie. Vautin gone), i'd like a regular panel of M. Johns, Sterling, Harrogan and Girdler.

*Too much Mario makes me cringe, if they need to keep him that badly, only have him on occasionaly.

*Guest host each week - preferably a player, instead of the bafoons they have on at times who know nothing about footy.

*Reg to have a regular segment.

*Going, going, goooone to be a weekly segment with players from different teams appearing each week.

*Girdler, or even Fletch, to continue 'Their house'.

*More of an in-depth chat about each of the weekend's games, instead of breezing through them in 5 seconds at the end of the show like they usually do.

*Interview with players/coaches for the Friday night match if possible.

*Daredevil dudes to be on fortnightly.

*Keep League Of Their Own, lose Mario.

*If they're going to have bands on, just one song at the end of the show is plently.

* Scrap - No Talent Time, Beat The Boys, etc.

*Most importantly, talk more ****en footy.

IMO.

Cheers.

Pay TV is whats hurt the Footy Show.

At 9:30pm most people just want to be entertained. They dont want hard hitting footy talk. I think the Nine Producers tryed to cater for that hole that was there in League programing but their idea become old and stale.

Use this as a rule. If your watching something that feels like a weekly chore....it needs to go.

League of their own.....a chore.
Beat the Boys.....a chore.
Dare Devil Dudes.....a chore.

Fatty has lost the magic. It was funny in the beggining....its not funny any more.
Sterlo is just....there.
Harrigan adds NOTHING.
Jason Stevens....no. Just no.

Matty Johns and Ryan Girdler are two of the funniest people on TV. They should be the show.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
If you actually watch and follow AFL then the AFL version of the Footy show is a great show to watch. Makes the NRL version look bush league.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tidus_Raider said:
If you actually watch and follow AFL then the AFL version of the Footy show is a great show to watch. Makes the NRL version look bush league.

i agree
i watch the AFL footy show, mainly cause im a night owl, cant sleep most nights so this is the best thing on at the time and i gotta say it put us to shame, i dont follow a team but i have general AFL knowledge and all i do is watch the show

BigSteveo

Juniors
My ideas:

Sterlo: host
Matty: take over Sterlo's position
Chief: Gooone, or at least do only 1 segment a week.
Fatty: Gooone
Girdler: taking Chief's position
Andrew Etinghousen (sp): Take Matty's position
Mario: Goooone
Brohman: Keep him doing what he does
Dave Gleeson and the Vipers: Keep them.

Remove:
Dare devil dudes (or at least make it once a month segment)
No talent time (or at least get someone entertaining)
Beat the Boys

Keep:
Powerplays (maybe make it a 10 minute segment)
Bands (make it a decent band)
Anti-Ads

Kaz

junior
Tallis should replace the Chief.

Those 'letters' Matty reads out are boring.

I wonder who the moron is that writes them. :roll:

pcpp

Juniors
Keep:

Power Play - and make it at least 5 minutes

Going Going Gooone - but they need to make it serious - they can't let half-assed wrong responses and give them the points, they need to make all the questions all footy, and the points system need to be changed (come on - 50, 100 and 500?).

Mastermind - A weekly or bi-weekly segment.

Introduce:

More footy - at least half an hour of issues and game reviews/previews each show.
Worthwhile "feel good" stories. Genuinely helping kids in hospital etc.

Remove:

Look alikes
That's Top
Beat the Boys
Daredevil Dudes

Talking about recently retired players as co-hosts on the SHow, how about Scotty Sattler? He is quite articulate and has already had a few starts as guest panellist on 2GB and Fox and has done well.....and best of all he knows what he is talking about