What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For and against

The For and against will decide who gets into the semis this year. Brisbane did us no favours by thrashing us last week. Obviously one way of improving it is by winning most games. But we can't afford anymore blow out scores like last week. I can see the end of the year coming down for and against with alot of teams missing out because of it.

TheParraboy

Staff member
If its a situation where we are relying on the for/against to make the 8, then we've had a pretty poor year IMO and probably lost more games than won. :(

Having said that, it wouldnt worry me what the for/against was if we were tied on points in the top 4 :mrgreen:

Pazza

First Grade
i dont understand, one week fantasitic defence, next week, the poorest defence in the competition. Its very painful to watch.

Hurriflatch

Referee
If Parra don't lose another game this year then for/against won't mean anything.

Yes, a good for/against will be good but wins are more important.

1 team may win 20 games and lose 4 in a season and all 4 losses are by 100 pts and all 20 wins are by 1 pt meaning they finish with a -80

While another side wins 4 games and lose 20 with each win being 100 pts and each loss being 1 pt and they finish at +80

But I'd still prefer to be Team A.

bartman

Immortal
Yep, the playing talent and commitment and game plans and coaching ability are all there. The wins against Penrith and Melbourne (which I'm still hanging out to see =P~) are proof.

The trick now to fix the for and against is to see it two weeks in a row, not every second outing! And then three weeks in a row, and then four... :D

Utey

Coach
bartman said:
Yep, the playing talent and commitment and game plans and coaching ability are all there. The wins against Penrith and Melbourne (which I'm still hanging out to see =P~) are proof.

The trick now to fix the for and against is to see it two weeks in a row, not every second outing! And then three weeks in a row, and then four... :D

Your really going to enjoy watching them mate.

walker smith

Juniors
Hurriflatch's much professed maths errors arise again...

1 team may win 20 games and lose 4 in a season and all 4 losses are by 100 pts and all 20 wins are by 1 pt meaning they finish with a -80

While another side wins 4 games and lose 20 with each win being 100 pts and each loss being 1 pt and they finish at +80

on the above scenario, Team 1 has a for and against of -380 and team 2 has a for and against differential of +380.

Not a consequential point, just hassling about the maths ;), but i hasten to add that Hurriflatch's point is a beauty nonetheless![/b]

TheParraboy

Staff member
walker smith said:
Hurriflatch's much professed maths errors arise again...

on the above scenario, Team 1 has a for and against of -380 and team 2 has a for and against differential of +380.

Not a consequential point, just hassling about the maths ;), but i hasten to add that Hurriflatch's point is a beauty nonetheless![/b]

stuff the maths

Im just looking forward to watching that side win by 100 in 4 games, and the other side lose by 100 in 4 games...what a treat !! :? :D

Hurriflatch

Referee
well despite the maths problems and the strange scores the point itself is still valid

for/against means nothing if you don't get the wins.

oldmancraigy

Coach
True Hurriflatch:

but if we had a better for/ against right now we'd be in the top 8.

I think Jake the Snake's point is valid - a better for and against may well make a difference to our final ranking at season's end - whether it is for a spot in the top 4 or settling for 6th or whatever!

You guys have been a bit harsh on him - he was just trying to incite us to cheer for a flogging of the defenceless Tigers this weekend :D

bartman

Immortal
bartman said:

Your really going to enjoy watching them mate.

It was great! Their defence stood up for 80mins, and they didn't lose composure whenever the opposition scored. That's the stuff!

Maybe the tightness of Olympic Park flattered our defence? I hope not.

As i mentioned on a previous thread, at the start of the season, Nath C was on TV saying "We have been working hard on our defence, and want to be the best defensive team in the comp again." Maybe the practice is only just starting to work?

lol, such comments are a sure fire way to get your behind smacked

I always hate when we say stuff like that. Remember when Greeny joined up, and there was that Pic of him, K-Lo, Hindy and Lyon all standing there, arms crossed, trying to look tough, with a headline about us wanting our defensive title back.

That was 2003.................. :roll:

fish eel

Immortal
The personel is there for us to have the best defence in the com.

Round 1 the defence was good.

I also thought, in the loss to the sharks, we actually defended quite well.

Against Penrith, the resolve in the second half was terrific. Only Wesser looked capable of doing somethiong for them.

We also got the result against Melbourne.

Souths and Brisbane...a different story.

The point is though, that when the resolve is there, the quality is there in our defence - though we're still a long way off being the best d in the leaugue, because we need to do it week in week out.

Eelementary

Post Whore
NorthShoreEel said:
Maybe the tightness of Olympic Park flattered our defence? I hope not.

As i mentioned on a previous thread, at the start of the season, Nath C was on TV saying "We have been working hard on our defence, and want to be the best defensive team in the comp again." Maybe the practice is only just starting to work?

Well, it would take time for new players to gel with our established players....

Utey

Coach
Its all about confidence. If anyones played footy they would know if your confident with your outside man you arent tempted to be drawn in and make the tackle. No difference in FG footy.

Berta

Juniors
Its all about confidence. If anyones played footy they would know if your confident with your outside man you arent tempted to be drawn in and make the tackle. No difference in FG footy.

Dead set right we have the players for a tight defence and the disclipline in coach Smithy we just need to have faith in the outside men, we are sliding well enough and Burty is directing them around the park alright but the inside balls a killing us, the Broncos tore us apart that way.
Also in a gang tackle we need to get one bloke to wrap up the footy letting way too many offloads get away and then it it scrambling and on the back foot from there, but if we can get it right we will be awesome. :twisted:

Latest posts