What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For any who bag the RLWC......

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I see this tournament as an extended tri-nations as the big 3 go through to the semis no matter what (in reality).

Exactly the same as other world cups.

In other world cups, good teams need to beat crap teams to get through. They duly do, in one-sided contests.

In the league world cup, good teams play other good teams, but can get away with losing, as long as they win one game against a moderately crap team. Either way they go through, but the games are closer.

Actually, I think you could say there's a much better chance of NZ or England dipping out to PNG then there was of Australia missing out in the RUWC because they lost to Namibia, or even a Scotland or Samoa in the quarter-finals.

Loudstrat

Coach
This crap has been going on since 1954.

Enough talk of 'potential'.

There is no other sporting event in the world that has been given so many chances to capture the attention of the public and failed.

Enjoy it for what it is - but don't denigrate other international sport by making comparisons.

Then f*ck off to other sports such as curling you whingebag!

And what public do you yearn attention from? The Saudis? Guatamala? Mongolia????

Which other sport in Australia could jag over 35K to club, internals AND international games in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne - AND sell out Wembly for domestic games and tests??

bowes

Juniors
Added to that, Wales, Lebanon, Russia and USA will all also be massive improvers.
Really? Not convinced by this, people always say that and I've seen no evidence of them improving, if anything they were a little better a few years ago when they still had the Dinamo Moscow guy's money. Lebanon and USA seem to be steadily improving, and I'll grant you Wales will hopefully improve a lot if they can get Welsh players in SL, but Russia?

They had a lot of potential a few years back but the Lokomotive Moscow owner has too much power in the RRL and has driven a load of people away from the game, and to union, when they had a lot to add.

Last edited:

VonVolks

Juniors
WC2000 (fiasco though it was) saw the birth of Lebanon RL, which has been growing and is now thriving in Lebanon.

Surely this alone is proof that WCs are genuinely good for the international game, Australian dominance or not.

Lets see if this one helps rejuventate PNG/Tonga/Smoa, and also maybe boosts Ireland

Parra

Referee
Then f*ck off to other sports such as curling you whingebag!

And what public do you yearn attention from? The Saudis? Guatamala? Mongolia????

Which other sport in Australia could jag over 35K to club, internals AND international games in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne - AND sell out Wembly for domestic games and tests??

What part of 'enjoy it for what it is' don't you understand?

If you enjoy spin over substance go right ahead - but I don't see the need for the endless comparisons and whining.

This tournament has not captured the public attention. Despite the constant assertions of the self appointed amateur spin doctors. It seems that there are a lot of Rebecca Wilson wannabes in this place.

bowes

Juniors
Seeding is exactly contriving the draw. Why do you think they do it? They don't want the big guns being put in the same groups and being knocked out in the pool stage. It's fixing the draw as much as ensuring competitive games in every group.
Actually having a draw is a difference for a start

In-goal

Bench
If your worried about the score in the Australia v England match, just think back to the NRL Grand Final when the 2 best teams met!

Some times a silly penalty here and there gives a game a false bearing, Australia's second try should have been called a knock on at the previous ruck. Small things change a good game to a farce.

Did Maruie F really get out of marker that early? once again I saw Australia do it on numerous occasions without penalty, it all comes down to small instinces.

taipan

Referee
Ok because of this world cup,Samoa has been given the go ahead by their Pm to have the game introduced into schools.That is already one by product.
There will be more down the line.especially so that the RLIF will have money available to grow the game.

Whilst no one expected England to be thrashed by the Roos,no one expected France to be thrashed by the Fijians .

Every one wants a contest,you can't legislate to have one.Ask the Storm after the G'F thrashing.

Enjoy the event for what is is a celebration of the diversity of where the game is played and the chance to gow it.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
If your worried about the score in the Australia v England match, just think back to the NRL Grand Final when the 2 best teams met!

Some times a silly penalty here and there gives a game a false bearing, Australia's second try should have been called a knock on at the previous ruck. Small things change a good game to a farce.

Did Maruie F really get out of marker that early? once again I saw Australia do it on numerous occasions without penalty, it all comes down to small instinces.

False bearing ? False bearing ? they arse f**ked england by 8 tries. The ref wasn't that much of a difference.

Mr Manly

Juniors
Seeding is exactly contriving the draw. Why do you think they do it? They don't want the big guns being put in the same groups and being knocked out in the pool stage. It's fixing the draw as much as ensuring competitive games in every group.

I was critical of the format pre tournament but I have to admit it has led to a far more interesting WC. When we move to 3 pools of 4 teams it will be even better.

Are you actually for real?? - seeding is the proper way to perform any tournament in any sport - you EARN the right to be seeded its not given like this pathetic joke of a tournament - by rights england and nz should be seeded 1 in each pool and the other nations undreneath - thats how a tournament is run - not a back door job of a tournament thats made every 4 then 8 and then every 5 years.

In-goal

Bench
False bearing ? False bearing ? they arse f**ked england by 8 tries. The ref wasn't that much of a difference.

Read the full post,

Do you think manly are really 40 points better than the storm?

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Read the full post,

Do you think manly are really 40 points better than the storm?

Yes. They obviously are seeing as how thats how much they beat them by. In the end though what i think doesn't matter. The record books will show that on that day manly were a 40 point better side.

babyg

Juniors
Keep the top 4 group but introduce them later in the comp. Have the next 10-12 nations play off for the first week or two of the comp for the right to enter finals against the Aussies etc. This gives the media no option but to write about the other nations games and the cup.

Meth

Staff member
Sure the it might not be the most competitive tournament, though I think NZ or England will both learn alot from the lessons they received.

That's a puzzling comment

I think minnow teams such as the Ireland and Fiji etc will learn a lot from this world cup.

I don't think NZ or England will learn much more than Australia are the best team in the world and they are still a long way behind

thug jimmy

Juniors
.....please go stick your hands in a very hot deep-fryer so we dont have to read your inane dribble.

Sure the it might not be the most competitive tournament, though I think NZ or England will both learn alot from the lessons they received, but from little things big things grow.

Take a look at basketball, for decades the USA dominated and games were uncompetitve but they persisted and now look at how even the top countries in the world are.

Rugby league needs to persist and not listen to the type of people who pour vinegar on there wheat-bix and 20 years from now we shall reap the rewards.

its our game. we shouldnt have to wait 20 years for people to be doing things correctly.

basketball grew because its owners allowed the game to expand. it didnt put restrictions on the amount of money the game could earn.

if your happy to make excuses for pathetic coverage and people disregarding written and signed contracts because that some how benefits the long term future of the game, by all means keep convincing yourself.

P.S. keep telling yourself little things grow. she only said that to you to be nice :lol:

Mong

Post Whore
the RLWC08 will probably end up with higher average crowds than both the 2003 and 2007 cricket world cups ..

I'd like to see figures that back that up before beleiving it.. in terms of tv audiences, sponsorships and money made from TV rights the RLWC won't even get close..

Mong

Post Whore
Copa's comments sounded like there was going to be some insinuation the the RLWC is somewhere close the the CWC..

roopy

Referee
Copa's comments sounded like there was going to be some insinuation the the RLWC is somewhere close the the CWC..
He just said crowd averages could be bigger - which doesn't mean anything other than what it says.