What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For SBW

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
SBW walks away from contract - he is a dog.
Canberra walks away from Carney contract - they are champions.

Who here has signed a 5 year employment?

IMO the contracts favour the employers way to much.

I mean who would sign a 5 year contract that did not have get out clauses for both parties.

Clearly young boys who play NRL, where the get out clauses are completely one way.

Cannot think of any other employment where the worker has no get clauses but the business has 98 clauses where they can sack you straight away.

I mean who would sign a 5 year contract that did not have get out clauses for both parties.

Clearly young boys who play NRL, where the get out clauses are completely one way.

Cannot think of any other employment where the worker has no get clauses but the business has 98 clauses where they can sack you straight away.

If you want a get-out clause and you don't get it, you don't sign the contract.

Pretty simple.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If you want a get-out clause and you don't get it, you don't sign the contract.

Pretty simple.
And therefore not play the game, as all clubs have these one way contracts.

Sign one sided contract or give up your dream of playing NRL.

No wonder these kids sign.

So you are happy to see young boys sign such one way contracts?

Makes me glad my boy was not that good.

And therefore not play the game, as all clubs have these one way contracts.

Sign one sided contract or give up your dream of playing NRL.

No wonder these kids sign.

So you are happy to see young boys sign such one way contracts?

Makes me glad my boy was not that good.

Gasnier didn't have a one-way contract.

Bottom line is, if you don't like the contract you have the right to not sign it and you have the right to find alternative employment.

Maybe as a bus driver.

Tell me Mr A, if you could play in the NRL, what would you play for, $ wise?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I'd play for $1.

However I would never sign one these contracts.

I would insist one a months notice from either party and the NRL club would say no.

My point is these are kids signing contracts they do not understand.

It is one way traffic.

Ram Man

Juniors
I'd play for $1.

I would insist one a months notice from either party and the NRL club would say no.

It is one way traffic.

Thats why they have Managers though.

They are supposed to make them understand.

Pig Champion

Juniors

Todd carney basically sacked himself by his illegal antics and his antisocial antics. Tell me , what choice did the club have?

I'd play for $1.

It is one way traffic.

You'd play for $1, but if you had to sign what you consider to be a one-sided contract to play, you would forego it?

Hell, I'd play for $1 a decade and I'd sign a one-sided contract that included me having to blow the Village people once a week to play in the NRL.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
To clarify.

SBW walking away mid season, is just plain weak.

Walking out on your teammates mates is weak.

Walking away from you employer I have no issue with.

Especially when your employer will sack you for things you do in your spare time.

24 x 7 job NRL players have these days.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You'd play for $1, but if you had to sign what you consider to be a one-sided contract to play, you would forego it?
Damn straight.

But that is becuase I have been a contractor for 20 years.

You do not sign, but that is learnt. It is not something I knew @ 22.

Hell, I'd play for $1 a decade and I'd sign a one-sided contract that included me having to blow the Village people once a week to play in the NRL.
No you would not.

Ram Man

Juniors
To clarify.

Especially when your employer will sack you for things you do in your spare time.

It comes with the Territory.

All player know this before they sign on the dotted line.

To clarify.

True, and it's pissweak that they're scrutinised like they are but it's not like they don't know that's going to happen. Its hard to have sympathy for Carney though, he's just a f**king dodo.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Todd carney basically sacked himself by his illegal antics and his antisocial antics. Tell me , what choice did the club have?

Well that is simple.

Keep him or let him go.

After all Todd was not performing in the field he was hired for. He was playing crap.

The fact he drinks too much and cannot handle it outside of his work duties would get him sacked at how many employers?

Do you think another club would sign him if they were allowed too?

I notice John Daly stills hits the golf ball well.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It comes with the Territory.

All player know this before they sign on the dotted line.
Yes as I say glad my son was not that good.

This was not the case when I fell in love with league.

This really turns me off watching. We should start recruitment at the local chess club.

I do not care what players do in thier spare time. We have police for that.

I care what they do ON the field not off it.

Ram Man

Juniors

This really turns me off watching. We should start recruitment at the local chess club.

Believe it or not I do totally agree at how wrong it is that players have their careers put in danger by what they do off the field.
The fact of the matter is that while there are people who are willing to ring leagues clubs and dob players in for bad behaviour, we will always have the Todd Carney situation.
Everyone wants their piece of these kids and when they see them doing something 'Anit-social' their first instinct is to ring the club and complain to see if they can get something out of them, whether that be an apology, legal action, discipline of the player or even cash.
My point was, all players know this fact before they sign and they should be smart enough to understand that everything they do on an off the field is looked at under a microscope.

But I do share your sentiments and frustration...I wouldnt get the sack from my job if I got pissed on the weekend and played up a bit...its not fair.

voltron

Juniors

but that depends
if i am the face of my company
a very well known face
and i go out and do crap like that
normally i would get cut the first time
but im given chances, and ultimately an ultimatum or terms
i refuse
well i get sacked
simple

BECAUSE i am well known, what i do will reflect on the people i represent
if i reflect really badly, well then i no longer represent those things that i should, and giving a misrepresentation.
so i get sacked

i dont see anyone else having an alcohol ban on them
the raiders dont care what the other players do in their spare time
because it doesnt affect them, so they dont invade their privacy
i mean its not like theyre being 'tyrants' and dictating their lives.
just this one dumba$$ who cant control himself.
so they try and help him out

Whilst I don't really care what they do in their spare time, BUT (you were waiting for the BUT I'm sure), There has to be some limitations of what is acceptable. Our employers are generally not affected by our behaviour on a weekend and nor are our clients, however that is not the case for NRL players. They know they are monitored by the media which comes with the turf and as a contracted player for a certain club they are a representative of that club for the duration of their contract, both on and off the field. They are also role models for young impressionable fans and therefore they are expected to be prudent about their behaviour.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere about what is and isn't acceptable behaviour both on and off the field.

What we also need to keep in mind is that these players have a limited time to make what they can from the game and that being the case they need to smarten up their act to ensure they fly under the radar of the media.

I agree with some posting in here of the good old days when the tough men of league were doing their job on the field and what they did off the field, who cared? But those days are gone.

Rather than complain about the reactions of clubs or the NRL when a player get caught doing something that can be considered inappropriate or disgusting (Carney) look at the real root of this and most problems in the game..the media who stalk and follow these players looking for one mistake to sensationalise it and sell papers etc. They are the true evil!

Ram Man

Juniors
Whilst I don't really care what they do in their spare time, BUT (you were waiting for the BUT I'm sure), There has to be some limitations of what is acceptable. Our employers are generally not affected by our behaviour on a weekend and nor are our clients, however that is not the case for NRL players. They know they are monitored by the media which comes with the turf and as a contracted player for a certain club they are a representative of that club for the duration of their contract, both on and off the field. They are also role models for young impressionable fans and therefore they are expected to be prudent about their behaviour.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere about what is and isn't acceptable behaviour both on and off the field.

What we also need to keep in mind is that these players have a limited time to make what they can from the game and that being the case they need to smarten up their act to ensure they fly under the radar of the media.

I agree with some posting in here of the good old days when the tough men of league were doing their job on the field and what they did off the field, who cared? But those days are gone.

Rather than complain about the reactions of clubs or the NRL when a player get caught doing something that can be considered inappropriate or disgusting (Carney) look at the real root of this and most problems in the game..the media who stalk and follow these players looking for one mistake to sensationalise it and sell papers etc. They are the true evil!

I agree with everything said above except one thing...Players are role models.

I have a massive problem with this statement.

I know young kids love their favourite player and look up to them and want to play footy like them, but 20-25 young blokes should not be seen as role models for kids they dont even know.

A kids role model should start in the home with the parents. It shouldnt be used as an excuse that players should be doing things better because they are role models.
Role model start at home.

voltron

Juniors
I agree with everything said above except one thing...Players are role models.

I have a massive problem with this statement.

I know young kids love their favourite player and look up to them and want to play footy like them, but 20-25 young blokes should not be seen as role models for kids they dont even know.

A kids role model should start in the home with the parents. It shouldnt be used as an excuse that players should be doing things better because they are role models.
Role model start at home.

but regardless of what they should be or not
a role model is what they are to these kids
it cant be helped
even if you wish that paris and lohan werent role models to the kids
the sad fact is that they are
and same goes with rugby players
i mean even then there are limits to acceptable behaviour
and pissing on a guy, running from cops
go far over and beyond that

Ram Man

Juniors
but regardless of what they should be or not
a role model is what they are to these kids
it cant be helped
even if you wish that paris and lohan werent role models to the kids
the sad fact is that they are
and same goes with rugby players
i mean even then there are limits to acceptable behaviour
and pissing on a guy, running from cops
go far over and beyond that

I understand that but its the parents responsibility to let kids know that the players should be admired for their playing ability rather than as a person because they dont know what they are like as a person. They should be encouraging kids to, by all means play footy like they do, mimick the step, the palm, whatever, but should be teaching their kids right and wrong.
Any kid should understand that running from the cops is not something a good person does and its up to the parents to teach and instill this fact into their child.

Latest posts