What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For SBW

eastsrule

Bench
yep - wasn't replying to you sorry - the person you were replying to.

but you're right, maybe only contempt of court if he defies the possible injunction - this would be the only scenario that jail would apply.
even then it would be laughably minor and very doubtful he would be extradited under a treaty for such an action.

more like if he ever stepped onto Australian territory again, he would be arrested and would serve whatever sentence was handed down.

look - I just can't see it happening

It won't happen.

I predict the NRL/Bulldogs dropping this. It is not worthwhile. Although tomorrow's (today's) hearing will shed more light.

eastsrule

Bench
Gallop has already come out and said SBW will be banned from the NRL for life.

Therefore, his contract is unable to be fulfiled.

I actually think Gallop has f**ked up royally on this one.

Lungfish

Juniors
It won't happen.

I predict the NRL/Bulldogs dropping this. It is not worthwhile. Although tomorrow's (today's) hearing will shed more light.

Gallop said tonight that they will keep pursuing him.If they dont make a stand then all hell will break loose.

What a load of crap in this tread. The guy walked out on a contract. Players injured etc etc. boo farkin hoo. I don't begrudge him or any player going to ESL or RU for more money but they should go about it the right way. This kid should not have up and walked before the end of the season. He should have stuck it out, told the dogs and NRL he cannot play anymore and if they don't like it tough luck. It would have been less impact on the game and the right thing to do by his team mates and the fans (NOT THE DOGS OR NRL But the ones he says matter the most). Just doing that would have won him a lot more understanding. Before any of you come back with but the season starts in France now, the president of the club recently made a statement to the effect that the French code has a rule allowing players to start mid season, so saying he HAD to do it now is tripe.

He did the wrong thing by how he went about it and deserves what comes from it.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Sonny talking about bus drivers and that just made him sound so stupid and he really has no clue.

Would be interesting to see what Sonny would say if given a more realistic scenario.

Would he have just let things slide if while a fifth of the way through building his million dollar mansion the building company who he signed the contract with to build the place got a better offer to go work in sunny QLD instead because they are one of the best building company around.

They leave a pile of wood and a part built house and just go without any indication while keeping the money they have made so far.

Is Sonny just going to let them go considering they got a much better offer and go get the 58th ranked builder to finish the job. Sure they can't do the job as well but it will be done. Or will Sonny ring his lawyer and at least get compensated for all the hassle.

Calixte

First Grade
Pathetic effort from SBW.

Made all the more pathetic by his absurd attempt to defend his position. Laughable effort in toto.

Godz Illa

Coach
The bus driver line is like Gasnier's Tazo line. Sure it is tenuous and ha ha ha we all like to poke fun at it, but they are just examples the blokes are using to illuminate their points. These are not loquacious orators with wide vivid vocabularies, they are footballers. Try to look past the sh*t examples and analogies and discuss the issues behind them.

El Diablo

Post Whore

you clearly didn't hear what he said a few days ago then

stick to Union

Loudstrat

Coach
its all well and good to say he should have stuck around and fought, but his legal advice said different - I'd be trusting my lawyer rather than some romantic notion of 'honour' and 'loyalty'.

If his legal advice said to piss off to France and hide from anyone with a supoena, he'd be disbarred.

Besides, Khoder f**ktard ain't a legal adviser

no you don't - the coach can relegate you to park footy just cos he doesn't like you. you as a player can't even get out of the contract and play first grade for someone else if the club doesn't let you. don't tell me it hasn't happened a few times cos it has.

the clubs have all the power and the player has none - unless he ups and leaves for another code.

All parties have equal power to ensure the deeds of a contract are met. And what knob asks for an extended contract only to change his mind a few months into it????

RL players don't have any standard way out of their contracts, which they should be entitled to.
No they shouldn't - because it's a CONTRACT!!!!!!
As far as I'm concerned, the club didn't treat SBW well. If he was playing sh*t and didn't turn up to training, they'd be entitled to rip up his contract. However it is seemingly not okay for him to rip up the contract if the club don't treat him well?
Awww diddums! Folkes has 3 internationals in his pack, and he probably revved them up because they were playing sh*t! Poor sook got yelled at - remember Folkes knows what it takes to be a tough forward more than any other coach - remember the side he played in?

what do you reckon he did mate?

he wanted out ages ago - and he told them.
or he wanted better conditions

what do you reckon they told him?

They told him about their 3 year contract, and SBW whinged and asked for a LONGER ONE!!!!!!

Exactly. I was going to bring up the Carney example.

I believe there is other things that could have been done to fix up Carney's act than to kick him out of the club and de-register him.

It is situations like this that create SBW-like scenarios.

Like Carney refusing to get the help that Canberra offered him?

Like, pissing on people is more important in life than earning possibly $3-5 million before you are 30?

No it is not.

A club telling a player that he can't drink for two years to play for the team is an absolute joke.

Yes. Athletes should always be pissed. That's why the AIS has an in built brewery, and why Ian Thorpe used to train on triple bourbons at the Illinois Hotel in Five Dock......

hmmm... let me see...
are you a lawyer?

none of us has seen the contract SBW signed. your comments are emotion based and lack an understanding of legal situations.

contracts can be ruled invalid for a variety of reasons, and simply saying 'you signed a contract, therefore you have to honour it' are so laughable my stomach hurts.

Ummm.....when did the scars heal from your lobotomy?

THE SOLE REASON FOR A CONTRACT IS FOR THE AGREEMENT TO BE HONOURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If, as SBW's solicitor states, they decide to argue the 'restraint of trade' angle and are successful, the contract he signed would be ruled invalid. There are many other rules to establish validity of contracts, and let me tell you - any contract can be tested for validity.

please don't make such a comment about my legal understanding as you have no idea what that understanding is...
Restraint of trade? How? Sonny traded. There was no restraint. Sonny AGREED to the terms - how is that restraint!!!!!!!

And if SBW was so sure of his legal footing, how come -

• He pissed offf to France and hid for a week, including moving locations so no one could find him,
  • Khoder f**ktard did the same
  • Khoder also had thugs bully and harass a bloke trying to serve the summons.........
All I have learned from youi is that you are Khoder trackhead himself, and are sh*t scared of what the Aussie courts will do to you.

screeny

Bench
People are saying the clubs aren't loyal...but the club is the entity that nurtured and groomed - not to mention paid - SBW to get him where he was.

How many players owe their careers to clubs and individuals at clubs who steer them in the right direction? So, yes, the clubs do deserve some loyalty.

Re the contract and Carney. If, say, a stockbroker got pissed and urinated on people and had as bad a record as the latter, then got fired, he would find it damnable hard to get another job with another firm. And as others have said - it's in Carney's contract so how can he be defended?!?

jimmythehand

Juniors
exactly.

all this sh*t about loyalty honestly makes my guts churn.
clubs demand it from a player, but are quick to sh*t on them at a moments notice. what about the BS at newcastle when BS (Brian Smith) took over - where was the loyalty the club showed to players who still had games left in them?

the clubs have screwed players for years, and when it happens back - its the worst thing to ever happen

that's rubbish. If a club cuts a player from a contract its for the players own good as well as the clubs. What's the point in hanging around at a club if you're going to be playing reserve grade and not playing 1st grade? Any player would rather look for a new club where they'll get better opportunities... and if they don't, then the club can't just tear their contract up.

SBW should have just said to the Bulldogs, look I'm unhappy, I want more money, you can't pay it, I want out of my contract. The Bulldogs say no, so he should say well this isn't going to work out then, because I'm not going to training for that money. And then not turn up to training. What are the Bulldogs going to do but agree to the release? There's a million different ways SBW could have done things better and got his own way. Hopefully all he's going to do with such a genius approach is bankrupt himself and sit on the sidelines. That's all he deserves.

Last edited:

Moffo

Referee
They don't have to take it to the courts. And shouldn't. The money would be far better spent on junior rugby league, promoting matches and paying players.

If any other person wanted to quit their job they have a notice period. RL players don't have any standard way out of their contracts, which they should be entitled to. Maybe that is a failure of the contract that every club uses (created by the NRL) or something. But it is a failure on the NRL players association part for not doing anything in this area.

As far as I'm concerned, the club didn't treat SBW well. If he was playing sh*t and didn't turn up to training, they'd be entitled to rip up his contract. However it is seemingly not okay for him to rip up the contract if the club don't treat him well?

oh great, the bush lawyer is back

Moffo

Referee

are you on drugs? the contract states that he cant play for any other club for the life of the contract

I watched a bit of it, I wasn't going to but I did. A f**king laugh it was. "Tyrant" is a big word?

By going to Rugby Union Sonny Bill increased the IQ average of both codes significantly.

simon says

First Grade
I thought the Newcastle fan in the crowd got it 100% right.

Didnt SBW sound like Mundine??........you can tell he has had a big influence.The whole way through the interview he was ranting and raving Chockesque style,even down to the bad grammar,it was hilarious.

And the question remains,is SBW a muslim like his brothers????I notice Weidler steered well away from this one.

Plumplechook

Juniors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlovin' Antichrist

By going to Rugby Union Sonny Bill increased the IQ average of both codes significantly.

Yeah - this guy SBW is a real moron! Imagine being so stupid as to accept an offer for 3 or 4 times your current pay to play on the French Riviera in lower collision sport. What a genius!

Ram Man

Juniors
Quote:

Yeah - this guy SBW is a real moron! Imagine being so stupid as to accept an offer for 3 or 4 times your current pay to play on the French Riviera in lower collision sport. What a genius!

Troll

Quote:

Sarcasm, arr arr..

Are you suggesting that talented people can't be stupid?

Sonny Bill Gump is one example and then there's you;

You're obviously stupid, yet here you are, posting on an online forum, proving that even though you're stupid, you're talented enough to turn the 'puter thingy on....

Or should we blame your carer?

Latest posts