What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the 100th time: Feleti Mateo

Avenger

Immortal
If there is a better player in our Premier League side then Mateo I will moonwalk from here to Parra Stadium.

This kid is outstanding!!!!!. Scored 3 tries today and set up another two. As Mr T said in another thread if Mateo isn't a better option then Delaney off the bench then I have never watched a game of Rugby league.

PS

There are no issues in his defence. He hits hard.

Sean7

Juniors
We need someone with some spark. He can play a 5/8 role and a forward role. Nothing wrong with that.

Feleti has the Natural skill flair...... to be anything he can handle 1st grade. Hopefully Hagan sees the light with Feleti. He's not one of those Robotic players that just run straight up and down. He's a forward who has a feel for the game and skill coming out of his arse.

Eelectrica

Referee
With our increasing injury problems some of the enthusiasm provided by some of the stars of premier league could be the difference next week. So give him another run.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Well the first thing JT said when he took over as coach is that he would have no problem giving younger blokes a go if there form was good!
Well JT, Mateo had an ausome game, he has been consistent for most of the year, we have somewhere to put him!!!!
Lets see if he is a man of his words!

strider

Post Whore
he did play very well today ... looked like avery good try in the south-east corner

but i wouldn't say he's a good defender ... and i think he would have been smashed by the broncos along with the rest of the NRL team had he been up there

next week could be a good game to give him a run - top 4 spot is no longer there, nothing to lose

Sean7

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Feleti has the Natural skill flair...... to be anything he can handle 1st grade. Hopefully Hagan sees the light with Feleti. He's not one of those Robotic players that just run straight up and down. He's a forward who has a feel for the game and skill coming out of his arse.

Can you elaborate on these skills that are coming out of his arse and why skills coming out of your arse are an advantage?

parra pete

Referee
He must lack something. He couldn't crack a spot in the ESL and has one NRL game two years ago.
I would like to think that the coaching staff have the ability to spot talent....If they have how come he doesn't get a chance...Is it attitude?
In saying that I have only see the kid play once and that was at Olympic Stadium in his first grade match in 2004...

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
I agree pete....he couldnt crack it before caus he was lazy in defence and was a glory hog.....wanted to score or create everything!
But this year....especially the back end he has pick his attitude up and his defence is ausome, he goes looking for tackles....someone must of had a word in his ear!

Ive been watching parra for a while and i know its only PL, but i havent seen a player for some time yet that can put another player in a whole like Mateo can!

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:
He must lack something. He couldn't crack a spot in the ESL and has one NRL game two years ago.
I would like to think that the coaching staff have the ability to spot talent....If they have how come he doesn't get a chance...Is it attitude?
In saying that I have only see the kid play once and that was at Olympic Stadium in his first grade match in 2004...

he's been in the best form of his career in the past month or 2 and after speaking to an official while watching him play he explained to me that he's been working very hard on his defence and just generally enjoying his footy which is something he hadn't done for a while.

Ant

Juniors
I just wrote this in another forum, but I suspect salary cap will be an issue at this point in terms of the eels putting another player into first grade.

I was speaking to a guy in management at another club last week and he said they are hamstrung by the 2nd tier salary cap. They can't put any new guys in top grade. Its something we the fans don't consider too often, but can be a big reason late in the year why you can't promote anyone else. Outside of your top 25, anyone else who plays nrl total salaries can be no higher than 300000, we have already had 7 extras, so thats 42000 average salary.

I doubt we can afford another guy.

But its not just a case of saying he's playing well throw him in.

parra pete

Referee
Wayne Collins who is an assistant at the Raiders (and is moving to Penrith with Matty Elliott) told me a couple of weeks ago that he was impressed with Mateo..rated him for sure.
I can't work out if he is so good how come he hasn't had a start..maybe it has something to do with fitting him in under the salary cap......