What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the 100th time: Feleti Mateo

True EEL

Bench
well we need something......and although i want to see him given a crack, don't be too harsh on Brett Delaney - he had a real go in a badly beaten team

Eelementary

Post Whore
Feleti's a pretty big guy, too. He would have been a great compliment to Widders off the bench.

But our problem is that our pack has no aggression without Fuifui.

bartman

Immortal
Good to hear Mateo has gotten himself in some decent, consistent form, with defensive capability as well. He really didn't impress me mid-year when I got to see him play live, and hadn't really stood out when I'd seen him with Harlequins.

I just think they'd better get the bean counters busy this week if they plan to give Mateo or Paulo their first game for the season in Firsts... as Ant has been saying, I think we must be sailing close to the limits of teh cap with the amount of players we've used.

cayless1989

Juniors
Avenger said:
If there is a better player in our Premier League side then Mateo I will moonwalk from here to Parra Stadium.

This kid is outstanding!!!!!. Scored 3 tries today and set up another two. As Mr T said in another thread if Mateo isn't a better option then Delaney off the bench then I have never watched a game of Rugby league.

PS

There are no issues in his defence. He hits hard.
for the last few weeks he has been on fire, i also should mention zeb taia has been taking the line on really hard.

Pazza

First Grade
Eelementary said:
Feleti's a pretty big guy, too. He would have been a great compliment to Widders off the bench.

But our problem is that our pack has no aggression without Fuifui.

None of them were taking the big broncos guys low. Thereforth they had plenty of leg drive. I haven't seen Webcke dominate against us that much for ages!

Kornstar

Coach
Taia and Mateo were great!!

What if they played for free in first grade? Is that possible? I know it sounds stupid, however if they want the chance could they say they would play first grade for free?

The Colonel

Immortal
Kornstar said:
Taia and Mateo were great!!

What if they played for free in first grade? Is that possible? I know it sounds stupid, however if they want the chance could they say they would play first grade for free?

They already are contracted to the club so they can't play for 'free'. Taia has already played first grade but we need size and Zebby isn't any bigger than what we had out there yesterday.

No doubt he should be somewhere in first grade, I just don't think yesterday would have been the best day to throw him in the team - his confidence would have been hammered as much as our forward pack was. His skills are freakish but we lacked go-forward and field position.

At the moment, based on the lack of experience in our lower grades, JT's hands are effectively tied. Remember though we have won 9 of our last 10....

Rookie

Juniors
Hopefully he can replace Dean Widders next year in that role...............if thats possible...............

Avenger

Immortal
I'll stick my neck out and say that there is no better ball playing forward in our club then Mateo.

The Colonel

Immortal
I don't think too many people will disagree. I just don't think a ball player would have changed yesterdays result.

Kornstar

Coach
Size would have changed yesterdays result though, Paulo and Mateo have size, it would have been nice to have atleast one of them on the bench, i would have preferred Paulo....

Avenger

Immortal
The Colonel said:
I don't think too many people will disagree. I just don't think a ball player would have changed yesterdays result.

I don't either, its just that without Tim Smith, Tahu and Grothe we need another way to attack when we are close the the try line. The Widders step and the cross field kicks are getting a little monotonous.

The Colonel

Immortal
The Widders step and kick in behind the line has been productive for the nine weeks before yesterday. ;-) Sure we need something different but we could have Tim, Timana and Grothe back over the coming weeks too.

Kornstar said:
Size would have changed yesterdays result though, Paulo and Mateo have size, it would have been nice to have atleast one of them on the bench, i would have preferred Paulo....

Not sure if you have stood next to these guys - they are tall but they are no bigger than Josh or Chad as far as weight goes.

strider

Post Whore
feleti is big, and he might be harder to contain in PL cos he has some size, but I don't think he'd be a "big body" in NRL if you know what I mean - its one thing to be big, but we need someone big who uses that size the right way

Parraren

Bench
The Colonel said:
Not sure if you have stood next to these guys - they are tall but they are no bigger than Josh or Chad as far as weight goes.

True, but Paulo & Mateo and/or Taia offer better size & go-forward than Delaney & a fullback on the bench.

I was hoping JT had a surprise up his sleeve for the bench against the Broncos but when I heard the side announced at the ground I knew we would struggle. Our problems were compounded with Jeremy's injury but really we were never going to be able to match them with that bench. The boys tried their guts out and I applauded them off the park but JT made a blunder IMO. He'll learn from that I think though.

The Colonel

Immortal
They offer size. They don't offer experience though. In all honesty it would have been great to see them on the bench but between them they have played ONE first grade game. You don't throw them to the wolves just because you want to.

The team has won 9 of the last 10 games and everyone is criticising JT for one supposed mistake. With a bit of luck and a better kicking game (and a penalty or three from Haveachat) we would have ben right in that game.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
They offer size. They don't offer experience though. In all honesty it would have been great to see them on the bench but between them they have played ONE first grade game. You don't throw them to the wolves just because you want to.

The team has won 9 of the last 10 games and everyone is criticising JT for one supposed mistake. With a bit of luck and a better kicking game (and a penalty or three from Haveachat) we would have ben right in that game.

Delaney doesnt offer much more experience, particuarly as a back rower.

The small bench has done the job, but we were exposed yesterday against a big side.