What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for the good of the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
Imo they should strongly consider Adelaide.
But killing them off forcibly is piss poor.

I don't understand the logic. You want to take something that brings happiness (well, more frustration these days, but still) to thousands of people, so that a bunch of players may possibly be allowed to have a few more dollars, which ultimately will not affect your enjoyment of the game in any way.

If you want another team to die, you are a f**kwit.

Last edited:

BDH

Juniors
Can anyone here show some actual FACTUAL evidence (in the form of stats of junior playing base, potential crowd numbers, etc) that an NRL team would survive in Adelaide?

Having lived in that hole of a place for a short time, I can assure you, I never met a single person who knew the difference between Union and League.

Perth could possibly (not at all a "strong" bid y any stretch) support an NRL team and already have a junior base.

Adelaide is pie-in-the-sky stuff and I'd rather a second NZ team before Adelaide....yes, I know how ridiculous it is to expect a second NZ team to survive.

fizman

Bench
So, you only have a few seasons left on this forum?

If that's the way it pans out, yep. Which is quite ironic when you consider the Sharks forum is only behind both St George and Parra in term of internet activity.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know it will be damn shame for the die hard Sharks fans ( I know I've been there in '97!), at least you'll still get to see them play and see them live for 9 games every season in Sydney. If they can stand on their own financially, not hold the league back and get their crowds up to a decent level then fine. But signs are not good.

BDH

Juniors
If that's the way it pans out, yep. Which is quite ironic when you consider the Sharks forum is only behind both St George and Parra in term of internet activity.

The Sharks forum within Leagueunlimited? Or are you counting all the various forums across the internet? (The Kennel, The Wall, BHQ, etc.?)

Not having a dig, just curious, because I find it bizarre that a club with such poor crowd figures would have a huge internet fanbase.

roboshark

Coach
f**k how many of these threads is there...there is a new ine every week saying the same thing...all started by the big hitters of the forum

I mean jeezus look at the posters before me.....some big names there

Christ sake get a life or show some imagination and start a conversation that is going tobe good for the game (waits for the big hitters to say getting rid of sharks is good for the game)

Ffs I wish some of these 'supporters' of the game would piss off to AFL as well

maccattack

Juniors
Here's a question just for Sharks fans - specifically those of you living in the Shire.

What do you think would happen to the area if the Sharks were relocated or died off?

Would the locals support them in a relocated form or would they switch teams? Stop watching altogether? Start watching other sports?

Would union, vic rules, or soccer move in?

What do you realistically think would happen to the Shire?

BranVan3000

Coach
Cronulla needs to be absorbed by the Dragons

To make it easier contact cherie burton and tell her its time to launch an invasion into the shire, annex it into the St. George area and were set

The sharks only have like 6000 fans so it isnt a big loss
If the dragons step in then sharks juniors have a place to go and everyone is happy.
Not a good idea, we all know the Shire reacts to "invasions" ;-)

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
This is why the AFL can offer million dollar contracts to players that haven't played a game.

They started relocating teams 30 years ago, while head in the sand RL fans whinge and bitch "my teams not moving anywhere" "if they do I'm not watching". Idiots like this is why the game hasn't moved forward and is being overtaken and raided by a game that had some foresight.

Even Super League said there were too many teams in Sydney, they just copped abuse from the geniuses, who are now starting to realise.

I know if I had the choice of seeing Parra die or relocate I'd take relocate any day of the week. It's bloody stupid to be pig headed and watch your team disappear.

BranVan3000

Coach
Sydney is one of the most widespread cities in the world, which is why that argument is so poignant. I think we could cut down, the problem is how set in stone these clubs are. But even if they move, they'll still have games in their traditional local area (eg maybe for heritage round).

Cronulla
Penrith
Manly
Roosters
Tigers
Eels
Dogs
Souths
Dragons

Personally I'd have no problems with half the list moving (mainly the top half). sh*t, Roosters don't even have a real area of their own

m0nty

Juniors
Ooh I know, get the Lebanon government to buy them out. Might as well go whole hog, make the conspiracy theories come true. :sarcasm:

Zigwaa

Bench
Can anyone here show some actual FACTUAL evidence (in the form of stats of junior playing base, potential crowd numbers, etc) that an NRL team would survive in Adelaide?

Having lived in that hole of a place for a short time, I can assure you, I never met a single person who knew the difference between Union and League.

Perth could possibly (not at all a "strong" bid y any stretch) support an NRL team and already have a junior base.

Adelaide is pie-in-the-sky stuff and I'd rather a second NZ team before Adelaide....yes, I know how ridiculous it is to expect a second NZ team to survive.

Don't have any stats, but i've been down here in Adelaide 6 months. With the amount of NSW, QLD, NZ, Islanders and english down here there's the start to a supporter base.

Have a look at what the a-league has done, I know Soccer is a wider reaching game but they've developed a big following down here now.

A lot of people still remember the Rams and wonder why they weren't persisted with. All the mining activity going on in SA brings a lot of money and people to the area over the couple of decades.

It's not pie-in-the-sky, but has to start with more and more games being brought here. I can't see myself staying down here long-term without a NRL team in the pipeline.

hellteam

First Grade
I know it will be damn shame for the die hard Sharks fans ( I know I've been there in '97!), at least you'll still get to see them play and see them live for 9 games every season in Sydney. If they can stand on their own financially, not hold the league back and get their crowds up to a decent level then fine. But signs are not good.

That's right. Pretty close to the amount of times us Brisbane fans get to see the Broncos play every year. It wouldn't be that bad really...

But don't really know where they would move to. Central QLD? Sunny Coast?

Perth Red

Post Whore
But don't really know where they would move to. Central QLD? Sunny Coast?

Adelaide would be the best for the game but SA isn't close to being ready for an NRL team. If the NRL had got its act together 4 years ago and started priming places like SA and WA then they would be ready for a reloaction. As it is they're not so I guess CC or CQ or a SQ based in Brisbane (and no we don't want them!)