What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

ACTPanthers

Bench
Yeah, I've read that one ... I think I've read all his books pre the 2010s maybe (as in I'm not sure if he has any new ones after 2010).
I'm only a recent discoverer of his books ha ha - Read Mother Tongue then moved into the rest - The Body is fairly recent, and absolutely fascinating.

Matua

Bench
I was lucky and got it for my birthday - The audiobook is on Audible as well and narrated by the man himself.
I tried listening to an audiobook once and hated it - love podcasts though.

I've got no doubt I'll read it eventually, I have a bunch of Brysons books on my Kindle app that I dip into and read chapters here and there on occasion.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Just finished an interesting book by Australian author Chris Hammer called Scrublands.

Not a massive fan of his writing style, as it's a bit choppy and can get a little long-winded in parts, but the characters and actual story are really good and found myself hooked.

Parra

Referee
Bret Easton Ellis - White . This one is a non-fiction piece - reads more like a series of essays or thoughts that he ties together. Good assessment of some of the key elements of the last decade or so re: social media, narcissism and the general lack of empathy that is evident in a lot of people. Interesting opinion piece.

Parra

Referee
Boy on Fire - biography of Nick Cave's formative years from school, uni, Boys Next Door era tbrough to Birthday Party and heading to Europe. A bit repetitive, full of nuggets of insight and Aus music history from the era. Wild days in St Kilda in the 70's. No big reveals or salacious details.

Parra

Referee
Touching The Void . Another mountaineering story. Classic story of an epic climb. Incredible survival story that puts you right there with him.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Recently reread Our Man In Havana by Graham Greene. Wonderful novel and the film with Alec Guinness is well worth watching as well. Greene had joined MI6 during WW2 and draws on a lot of his experiences in writing this. I think I'm going to reread another of his classics, The Quiet American, next.

Was curious - for those who read, and may do so digitally / online, what are the websites you use to download and read content?

I've banged up my 3 sci fi novels on a site called Wattpad. Was thinking there might be better places to load it. I'm not looking to make money (though, I sure wouldn't knock it back LOL!) but happy for people to read it all.

kit66

Bench
I read most of Lee Childs' Jack Reacher novels which are better than you might expect and I was looking for something similar and stumbled across a series of books by CJ Box all featuring a great, if reluctant, hero, Game Warden Joe Picket. These are awesome action, mystery, thrillers that I couldn't get enough of. If you start them it's best to read them in sequence so you get to know Joe and his family as they grow older and wiser. Highly recommended.

kit66

Bench
My second book is up now:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/197103316-alistair-raven-and-the-army-of-the-rising-sons

Any feedback good or bad gratefully accepted.
I love sci-fi and your blurb has piqued my interest so I look forward to reading your novel.
One thing I noticed in you blurb - second line - spelling error, you've written " life abroad the HMS Britannia " should be aboard. Actually two things - your chapter listings are all listed as Chatter 1 , Chatter 2 etc instead of Chapter. Sorry.

Latest posts