What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Smack

Coach
got this up next

51cQEdN9KuL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

King hit

Coach
The jersey secrets behind the All Blacks
the-jersey.jpg

New Zealand's domination of Rugby Union has always been a topic that has interested me so it was good to learn about it. Some very interesting chapters about their school system, resurrection after a massive defeat in 2004 that showed what was wrong behind the scenes and their attitude to winning at all costs. Some things were a bit ridiculous though

- Australia not respecting aboriginal players like they do with so many Maoris playing Union. Wrong it's because Rugby League is the popular code amongst aboriginals here in Australia. Not because we don't like them
- Early chapters bragging about how the original settlers made them the tough people they are. Linking original settlers to Rugby seems pretty stretched to me.
- That other countries players aren't as passionate as them in playing for their country. Like Queensland's claim they are only ones who care about Origin. It's f**king bullshit.
- Some comments have aged well. One was saying South Africa won't be a serious presence on the world stage again. Next minute the Springboks are world champions with New Zealand not even making the final

Overall a very good book which will teach you about what makes New Zealand rugby tick.

axl rose

Bench
- Australia not respecting aboriginal players like they do with so many Maoris playing Union. Wrong it's because Rugby League is the popular code amongst aboriginals here in Australia. Not because we don't like them
- Early chapters bragging about how the original settlers made them the tough people they are. Linking original settlers to Rugby seems pretty stretched to me.
Where do they come up with this nonsense.

Like the link between VFL and the Aboriginal game of Marngrook, complete horseshit.

King hit

Coach
84C57D83-CD93-421E-8E15-8345E8130AFF.jpeg

Outstanding read about the emotions and brotherhood that comes with playing for Australia from the players own words. Really like how they just don’t talk to the greats like Steve Waugh they talk to the one test players, trivia questions like McGain and Robbie Niney and the women players. Nice finishing chapter about Steve Waugh and comforting to hear how revered the baggy green is amongst aspiring Australian cricketers knowing that test cricket will always remain the pinnacle.

All cricket fans on here will enjoy this book

axl rose

Bench
The Gulag Archipelago- bleak (big surprise) and unremittingly grim account of the gulags between 1918 and 1956.

200px-Gulag_Archipelago.jpg

gUt

Coach
Latest:

46670123._UY400_SS400_.jpg

61x9NEznrsL._SL500_.jpg

51mTk1TDGAL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

For the John Connolly/Charlie Parker fans, the next book The Dirty South is out in April

T-Boon

Coach
With this Corona virus I've decided to re-read The Stand.

Good story, I remember being disappointed in the ending the first time around though.

I was thinking today the coronavirus media spasm is possibly an advertisement for Stephen Kings The Stand which is being made into a series. Remember he organised those clown appearances for IT2.

Misanthrope

Staff member
With this Corona virus I've decided to re-read The Stand.

Good story, I remember being disappointed in the ending the first time around though.

I remember staying up until 5am reading that during my HSC. Not the greatest prep ever, but it was a helluva book.

I'm currently making my way through The Witcher canon, but breaking it up with a smattering of chapters from Lord of the Rings.

Frederick

Staff member
So I started reading again over the summer after many, many years of basically being illiterate. Started off reading the following in January:

The Long Way Home - Louise Penny
The Black Echo - Michael Connelly
Ice Station - Matthew Reilly
The Seven Ancient Wonders - Matthew Reilly

After I read those I went and signed up to the Maitland library and borrowed these ones next:

The Pharaoh Secret - Clive Cussler
Blue Moon - Lee Child
The Six Sacred Stones - Matthew Reilly

Matt Reilly was kind enough to finish that book on an enormous f**king cliffhanger so when I returned those I borrowed:

The Five Greatest Warriors - Matthew Reilly
The Four Legendary Kingdoms - Matthew Reilly
The Three Secret Cities - Matthew Reilly

Took me one and a half weeks to get through those, and now I've hit a wall because he hasn't written the next in the series! Thinking I might try and find the rest of his scarecrow series and read those next. I've also got a copy of Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn around the house somewhere that someone bought for me ages ago so might give that a go

Eelectrica

Referee
I remember staying up until 5am reading that during my HSC. Not the greatest prep ever, but it was a helluva book.

I'm currently making my way through The Witcher canon, but breaking it up with a smattering of chapters from Lord of the Rings.
Yeah I've gotta get the Witcher books. They're on my list, just never get around to it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
How are those Matthew Reilly books, Fred?

I found a lot of his earlier stuff kind of... shit, but I can't fault the guy's work ethic or the fact he self-published to get his name out there.

Perth Tiger

Bench
How are those Matthew Reilly books, Fred?

I found a lot of his earlier stuff kind of... shit, but I can't fault the guy's work ethic or the fact he self-published to get his name out there.

They are like Michael Bay movies. Lots of action and explosions with not much else. But they are very entertaining for what they are.

Frederick

Staff member
They are like Michael Bay movies. Lots of action and explosions with not much else. But they are very entertaining for what they are.
Pretty much this. They're non-stop action, the kind of books that I find impossible to put down because something is always happening. I like his Jack West Jnr books better than the scarecrow ones because they combine all that action with ancient history and mythological civilisations.

It's also no coincidence that two of my favourite video game series are Uncharted and Tomb Raider. Anything that is centred around ancient history I'm all up in that shit