What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

nqboy

First Grade
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18878001-23210,00.html

Football Australia lands $120m deal
April 20, 2006

FOOTBALL Australia has reportedly secured a seven-year television deal worth $120 million in a major boost for the sport in this country. The package was agreed to by Football Australia boss John O'Neil and FoxSports chief David Malone.

O'Neill is expected next week to announce the deal which will take in all A-League and Socceroos matches, except the next two World Cups. Coverage will also include the Asian Champions League, in which two A-League clubs will compete, plus Australia's Asian Cup qualifiers and finals. This will leave the SBS Network, for years the voice of soccer in Australia, rights to only the UEFA Champions League and the 2010 and 2014 soccer World Cups.

A-League clubs currently facing crippling and unsustainable costs could stand to collect $10 million each which would pay the bulk of wage bills.

No, it's not comparable with the RL TV deal, but look how far they've come in two years. Ignore them at your peril.

Surandy

Bench
$17 million per year deal? I wonder how little it would be if that didn't include the Socceroos matches.

BWNB

First Grade
Awsome i hope this means soccer will take off, im not just a league fan but a soccer fan

lockyno1

Post Whore
hrundi99 said:
Billions of people across the world care, but by all means put your head back in the sand.

Meh...couldn't care less about it to be honest. Soccer despite what they do to it will always be behind cricket, league, union, afl so I have nothing to worry about! I fall asleep watching soccer half the time and then you get the damn draws which annoy me like nothing else!:evil:

fanatique

Juniors
Relax lads. Soccer may well be popular worldwide but so what? After the y quyalified for hte WC finals some of them were spouting how AFL and NRL were doomed but what happened A league numbers? Nothing is what happened.

This year so far both NRL and AFL have healthy figures and last year were record years for both. The soccer will be huge in June for a month as the novelty factor takes over, the tide will crash when Oz are KOed adn it will recede and a few months later the second raters in the A league will be getting their 10,000 attendances just like last year if lucky.

nqboy

First Grade
When our club teams start playing in the ACL and the Socceroos have regular meaningful fixtures home and away against Asian opposition, sponsors will inevitably look that way towards greater exposure and new markets. The media will also devote more space to those games and their feeder, the A-League. This will bring more money into the game which will facilitate greater development and promotion, further eating into media coverage available for RL. Capiche?

Latest posts