What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

sharkadelic

Juniors
Soccer is a threat in the fact that it is a winter support competing for juniors, sponsorship and gate receipts. It is still very much in its infancy here due to lower quality and poor marketing in the past.

League can stay in the drivers seat if it doesnt drop the ball, but as the Super greed debacle proved, you let the rival codes gain some ground on you, you may never get it back.

Personally for me, Soccer is about as appealing as a hot coffee en3ma would be. But some people are swinging voters or susceptible to trends which is why the sport has to marketed well like a valuable commodity. Now that Channel 9 has lost its big commodity in Victoria and to a large extent NT, are they going to do any sort of marketing with League?

sharkadelic

Juniors
Really? lol. Shows how much attention I pay to it.... Interesting.

I guess they are still competing on some level for merchandise and stuff -(ie bought a new Roar jersey this year, the broncos one will have to wait...) but I guess that removes a fair few elements of the rivalry.

glockers

Juniors
Soccer could go either way to be honest.

Basketball in the 90s was filling stadiums in Australia, it had its national league on free to air television (which soccer still hasn't achieved) and channel ten even showed NBA games from America.

The basketball administration didn't work hard enough t kee the crowds and eventually lost its free to air rights and sponsorship.

Now it is relegated to pay tv and 4000 person crowds (when they would sell out 10000 a decade ago).

They have kept outstanding junior numbers though.

I share this because Soccers profile at the moment is high (not quite as good as basketball was0 but it will be hard to keep it up there. It is real easy to lose it once the novelty wears off.

Mostly the profile of the national league matters, the NBL failed t increase their profile enough. The juniors are stll there but they never link to the national basketball league to spectate.

Soccer needs to kee the a league in the public spot light and keep kids oing.

I think pay tv is a mistake they should stayed on free to air.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I like league, cricket and soccer. Even baaasketball is ok.

I only have a problem with Gay FL and Yawn Yawn.

pantherz9103

First Grade
glockers said:
Soccer could go either way to be honest.

Basketball in the 90s was filling stadiums in Australia, it had its national league on free to air television (which soccer still hasn't achieved) and channel ten even showed NBA games from America.

The basketball administration didn't work hard enough t kee the crowds and eventually lost its free to air rights and sponsorship.

Now it is relegated to pay tv and 4000 person crowds (when they would sell out 10000 a decade ago).

They have kept outstanding junior numbers though.

I share this because Soccers profile at the moment is high (not quite as good as basketball was0 but it will be hard to keep it up there. It is real easy to lose it once the novelty wears off.

Mostly the profile of the national league matters, the NBL failed t increase their profile enough. The juniors are stll there but they never link to the national basketball league to spectate.

Soccer needs to kee the a league in the public spot light and keep kids oing.

I think pay tv is a mistake they should stayed on free to air.

Shouldn't you all have pay tv by now? I've had it for 10 years ;-)

Latest posts