What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
Awsome i hope this means soccer will take off, im not just a league fan but a soccer fan

:shock: You can't like more than one sport!

Good news for football in Oz.

MrSharky

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Who cares, unless you like 0-0 draws!:lol:

Ehem can you imagine what a simple draw with Brazil in the upcoming World Cup will do to football in Australia?

El Diablo said:
we don't live in Italy

Soccer :sleeper:

ehem...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=878241725135151841&q=ronaldo+and+ronaldinho&pl=true

;-)

icon6.gif

richie8u

Juniors
who cares, it will be just like union, unless you have pay tv you cant see it, stupid move, a sport has to have some games on free to air

nqboy

First Grade
I'm not interested in fighting about it. I much prefer RL but I'm wary of the threat posed by The World Game. Some of the naivety on here leaves me breathless.

MrSharky

Juniors
BTW why is it a "threat"?.......

The growth of one sport does not signal the end of another so what are we concerned about exactly?...

Sheez can't people support other codes? :roll:

icon6.gif

Fairfax

Juniors
What a lot of people neglect to mention is that Australian club soccer has a very poor standard. Any players with talent would be in Europe by the time they are 15 and the rest are hacks. I can watch the game, but not A-League... it's dud. The effect of the new comp means that blokes who perform at a decent standard will be playing Dutch second division for five times what they can earn here, further lowering the standard of our park soccer comp.

fanatique

Juniors
Fairfax said:
What a lot of people neglect to mention is that Australian club soccer has a very poor standard. Any players with talent would be in Europe by the time they are 15 and the rest are hacks. I can watch the game, but not A-League... it's dud. The effect of the new comp means that blokes who perform at a decent standard will be playing Dutch second division for five times what they can earn here, further lowering the standard of our park soccer comp.

Exactly the point I made earlier. In Korea they had a soccr WC a few years ago and soccer was supposed to take over bulldozing baseball etc out of the way. A few months later they got fired of watching the hoofball of second raters in the K league and attendcnces plummeted. Baseball didn't suffer at all.

The A league won't work for similar reasons. Everyone knows the cream are in europe and the clubs have no bedrock suport unlike NRL in eastern Australia or AFL in the other states.

The WC is a carnival but it passes.

Woods99

Juniors
The reasons that soccer will never become an important national sport in Australia are similar to the reasons that basketball has failed.

Firstly, we Aussies have grown up watching football codes in which real physical contact is expected, and happens. Whether AFL or either rugby code, we are used to watching players cop physical punishment, and take it like men. We have developed good bullsh*t meters to know when a player takes a dive.

Secondly, we have grown up watching overseas soccer, and American basketball, both of which sh*t on the local product.

Aussies won't buy a second rate sport. We are used to watching the world's best in action.

And we will not buy the silly soccer stunts like the dive, and the barrel-roll by the "injured" player.

$120 mill for 7 years is bugger-all, basically. A bit over $1 million per franchise per annum.:roll:

hrundi99

First Grade
Fairfax said:

Rubbish.

ali

Bench
Well I think they could have done better. I think the Asian Champions League and Asian Cup could be worth more in the long run, so maybe a 7 year deal could be the soccer equivilant of the long deal the ARL signed with channel 9 some years back.

If I was soccer, I would have looked for a deal around 4 years, to guarentee the future of the A league, but allow for a bigger deal in the future if our involvement with Asia takes off like I expect.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Soccer is no different to any of the other minority sports in Australia. Sure it will be a great talking point in June/July when the world cup is on but once its over it will be back to it same old status as a minority sport. Its the same with any of the sports associated with the Olympics, people will watch swimming, cylcing track and field events etc while they are on, but once the games are over nobody goes out of thier way to watch it. The majority of Australians will stick to thier RL, AFL, Cricket which will more than likely always remain the most popular codes in Aus. If these minority sports were popular they would have free to air coverage by the corporate networks.

Mr Saab

Referee
Soccer is not a threat. It is just a fly buzzing around thru the summer months.
They will never be on free to air and they will never have the crowds of league.

MrSharky

Juniors
Fairfax said:

Mate have you seen some of the talent running around in the junior soccer leagues? Yes the exceptional ones are scouted by European clubs but there is still a lot of skill here at home... You realise soccer has the largest junior sport registrations don't you?...

Woods99 said:
The reasons that soccer will never become an important national sport in Australia are similar to the reasons that basketball has failed.

Firstly, we Aussies have grown up watching football codes in which real physical contact is expected, and happens. Whether AFL or either rugby code, we are used to watching players cop physical punishment, and take it like men. We have developed good bullsh*t meters to know when a player takes a dive.

The crowds in the A-League this year disprove your theory... The A-League final was sold out and absolutely packed to the rafters...

It also got good crowds consistantly in Sydney, Newcastle (rugby league mad town), Central Coast, Adelaide and Perth...

It doesn't mean that soccer is taking over and no sport will compete... it means soccer is growing to receive as much coverage and recognition as the other codes...

BTW why must you emphasise upon the dives? They happen rarely and also happen in other sports (Yes even League)... The atmosphere at the World Cup Qualifier was as good as any Origin I've been to (2 - one in 2000 and one in 2004)...

This is coming from a passionate league and football supporter...

icon6.gif

MrSharky

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Soccer is not a threat. It is just a fly buzzing around thru the summer months.
They will never be on free to air and they will never have the crowds of league.

The World Cup will incidentally be shown on SBS...

Interestingly State of Origin 3 and the Second World Cup Semi-Final fall on the same date (5th July)... It should be interesting to compare them ratings-wise...

icon6.gif

Mr Saab

Referee
Compare the 2 club comps only. Forget the world cup as thats completely different. As for the ratings, if it is 1 all in the Origin then game 3 will rate its standard 50.
I am not death riding soccer, i hope it does well, but they dont clash with league (summer/winter comps) and it will (club comp) never make free to air and be shown on a friday night.
Pay TV is where is starts and ends.

hrundi99

First Grade
Basketball is a trivial sport in comparison to the global coverage of football. It's more international than the likes of leagues and everyone knows Jordan, but that's about it.

MrSharky

Juniors
Are we forgetting about the digital television revolution in a couple of years?...

With the extra channels, and at the end of this recently signed television deal, I think we may well be seeing football on free-to-air some time in the future...

icon6.gif

Latest posts