What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

If it included Soviet Russian championship games it would be great. The sleeping giant which is Soviet Russian football will be awoken and will dominant the world game.

It won;t be long till there is a world club comp - home and away and as i have already said the code that does this - world club comp - home and away will reap the benefit's of this decision.

wake up NRL

nqboy

First Grade
MrSharky said:
BTW why must you emphasise upon the dives? They happen rarely and also happen in other sports (Yes even League)...
We're on the same side but even I can't support you in defence of the "simulation" and gamesmanship in soccer. It's one of the biggest blights on the game. But RL players taking dives (Kennedy anyone?) to get the video ref to rule on decisions is starting to head the same way.

The sooner they introduce a video ref for offsides, contested goals and simulations, the better, but they're steadfastly refusing to do so for the forseeable future.

MrSharky

Juniors
nqboy said:
We're on the same side but even I can't support you in defence of the "simulation" and gamesmanship in soccer. It's one of the biggest blights on the game. But RL players taking dives (Kennedy anyone?) to get the video ref to rule on decisions is starting to head the same way.

The sooner they introduce a video ref for offsides, contested goals and simulations, the better, but they're steadfastly refusing to do so for the forseeable future.

Yes it is a blight on the game... I agree... but at least it has a stance against it (players get booked if caught diving)....

The amount of notoriuos offenders are few (and confined to the italian league...lol)...

icon6.gif

sooperdooper

First Grade
yeh league has had good crowd numbers this year :0
how does this threaten League?
they are different sports not similar at all. AFL and Union are Leagues competitors not Football (soccer)
Different game, different time of year all together
I for one enjoy SPORTS not just one sport

Danish

Referee
Surandy said:
$17 million per year deal? I wonder how little it would be if that didn't include the Socceroos matches.

Exactly.

League deal is around $100 mill/yr once you combine foxsports and 9s new contracts.

AFL is around $140mill/yr or something to that effect.

Soccer is $17 mill/yr

LOOK OUT!!

:lol:

P.S People who watch league can also support soccer considering they are played in different seasons

dubby

Bench
Woods99 said:
The reasons that soccer will never become an important national sport in Australia are similar to the reasons that basketball has failed.

Firstly, we Aussies have grown up watching football codes in which real physical contact is expected, and happens. Whether AFL or either rugby code, we are used to watching players cop physical punishment, and take it like men. We have developed good bullsh*t meters to know when a player takes a dive.

Secondly, we have grown up watching overseas soccer, and American basketball, both of which sh*t on the local product.

Aussies won't buy a second rate sport. We are used to watching the world's best in action.

And we will not buy the silly soccer stunts like the dive, and the barrel-roll by the "injured" player.

$120 mill for 7 years is bugger-all, basically. A bit over $1 million per franchise per annum.:roll:

Um, Woods. Um, i actually agree with you here. I don't like agreeing with you, i like to argue with you.....dammit! ;-) :oops:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
This is an amazing deal for an organisation that has only been in existence for just over 2 years.

read the article closer. it's not just for the domestic crap

Azkatro

First Grade
The sheer international appeal of soccer is what makes it special. In terms of sponsors, advertising etc, it is extremely appealing. As we integrate more with the Asian leagues (J-League, K-League), more money will gradually get into the game and the quality will increase. More exposure, higher quality, people will get into it, free to air deals will be inevitable.

Enoughsaid

Juniors
Australia vs Greece sold out the mcg in 2 hrs
not bad for a sport THAT no one is supposed to give a f**k about

El Diablo

Post Whore
Enoughsaid said:

who will the crowd be going for?

i think Melbourne has the second largest population of Greeks after Athens

borat

Bench
IMO of all the codes soccer has the greatest potential to be a threat to rugby league. In my eyes Union and AFL have a loyal following but are never going to overtake RL. It just won't happen. Soccer on the other hand as feeble and disjointed as they are now, only have to have a few successful years and with the possibility of one day having a world cup here in Australia, could cause some serious damage. IMO AFL and Union have thrown the best they have got with only mild success. If Soccer ever gets its act together, and its taken big strides in the last year or two, would be a huge threat.

BWNB

First Grade
Enoughsaid said:
Whens this on?

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
I'd never heard of Marrrrrco Bresciano until a few months ago.

who's he? socceroo coach or something?

would of been lucky to nab a mil a year for just the A-League, the world cup and internationals, no doubt had a massive role in their HUGE 17mil a year :roll: :lol:

borat said:
IMO of all the codes soccer has the greatest potential to be a threat to rugby league. In my eyes Union and AFL have a loyal following but are never going to overtake RL. It just won't happen. Soccer on the other hand as feeble and disjointed as they are now, only have to have a few successful years and with the possibility of one day having a world cup here in Australia, could cause some serious damage. IMO AFL and Union have thrown the best they have got with only mild success. If Soccer ever gets its act together, and its taken big strides in the last year or two, would be a huge threat.

All of my family and most of my friends are diehard league supporters I guarentee though they may take an interest in other sports like myself who doesnt mind the odd super 14 game or in the summer cricket.

Nothing will ever take over league, like has beens stated its part of our culture to have hard hitting physical games, something like Soccer in the next 50 years or so has zero chance.

Soccer has huge rego's for the younger games but many drop off once they reach a suitable age that their parents designate they can play a contact sport.

I personally played it til I was 10 then I was allowed to play footy, and I certainly wouldnt put a child of mine on a footy field before then.

Soccer will be on the same level as basketball and never threaten League, AFL, Union or even cricket. I'd say they'll have a small dedicated following that will keep them afloat but thats it.

Latest posts