What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for your consideration: coach Justin Holbrook

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Agree to an extent, although I think if it came down to replacing Mary with an untried first grade coach, JD would still be my first pick.

be1e709c2dc6831f566cc831a1d31f8c.jpg

BLM01

First Grade
Look, I totally agree with this. But it thins the field out significantly. I personally think Mick Potter was very cruelly treated at the Tigers so I don't find him super-terrible option, but others look better to me - and Superleague experience is better than anything else bar NRL.

btw on the flipside of Bennett and Waite, you have Andrew Farrar and Ted Glossop. Two coaches with prior first grade experience who were dreadful for us
Well Farrar does not count as an old boy for the Steelers coaching.
Look you can go back in history and find NRL coaches with experience who have failed but in todays cut throat instant success environment I would swing that way but except for Bellamy, Bennett & Siebold anyone can break a contract. You can add Barrett to the list of potentials cause I am hearing he is a serious consideration to take over... o_O. Hope that is fake info

Life's Good

Coach
OP highlights the exact reason why no extension for SuperCoach should be on the table. There are promising rookie coaches & solid old heads so there is no need to rush.
Good coaches push through tough times and minimise the excuses - that’s how you drive accountability. SuperCoach has hoodwinked the club too often - not my team, need a halfback, Origin drain, tries from kicks etc. etc.
Dragons board - take off the blinkers.

A lot of people may feel despair at the thought we're forced to stick with McGregor because there are no quality coaching candidates out there. They may believe that since we were left standing in the great coaching musical chairs act of 2018 that we're simple resigned to re-signing our dud. I say this is not true. Sure, there's the likes of Jason Demetriou and left-field options like a Toovey or Mick Potter. But I want to push the case of Justin Holbrook.

• He used to work for us, not that long ago. So he comes with some inner sanctum knowledge and experience. But he's not from here, nor is he even an old boy. He played first grade for the Knights, Penrith and Roosters. Then went into coaching
  • He won 2 NSW Cup premierships with the Bulldogs.
  • He then was signed by us, and took a fairly unfancied Under 20's team to a preliminary final. A year or so later the club did one of it's infamous end-of-year "coaching reviews" and of course the successful outsider was punted.
  • Holbrook landed in quite the opposite of the scrapheap - he became Trent Robinson's assistant at the Roosters, before landing the head coaching gig at St Helens in the Superleague.
  • In his 1st year at St Helens, they finished 6th but progressed to the preliminary final
  • In his 2nd year at St Helens, he led them to a minor premiership and an unlucky prelim final loss in extra time
  • This year, he's lost his star player Ben Barba, yet St Helens are undefeated after 6 games, sitting atop the Superleague table.

For those who may scoff at Superleague coaching experience, please note that there are 4 current NRL coaches with European clubs on their resume, including the current premiership holder. (Robinson, Maguire, Brown, Seibold)

I think he's one we should be keeping an eye on, and is, without a shadow of doubt, a massive upgrade on McGregor.

Unfortunately, it's not the quality of potential candidates that is the issue. Rather our board inexplicably considers Waterboy a good coach, the right man for the right time.

Twilight zone stuff, I know.

Straight Shooter

blacksafake

First Grade
Well Farrar does not count as an old boy for the Steelers coaching.
Look you can go back in history and find NRL coaches with experience who have failed but in todays cut throat instant success environment I would swing that way but except for Bellamy, Bennett & Siebold anyone can break a contract. You can add Barrett to the list of potentials cause I am hearing he is a serious consideration to take over... o_O. Hope that is fake info
You know what, BLM01
I reckon I’d even settle for Barrett. I know it’s sad but a change is :100: needed.:thinking:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It will take some big losses early in 2019 for the Board to feel a little shaky about the prospect of extending Mary.

Tonight we play against Souths coached by Bennett!
2 from 2 the dogs will soon start barking for Mary, they're already growling...

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Holbrook would be a great candidate. Similar resume to that of Robinson and MacGuire.

However, he wont be signed for the same reason that Mary will be re-signed no matter what - anything else would require the powers that be to concede that they backed the wrong horse. Or in Mary’s case, the wrong drunk, uncoordinated donkey on 3 legs.

You know, you’ve offended inebriated, clumsy mules on a worldwide scale with that remark?

Back on topic, no to another untried coach...it’s too much of a risk.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Farrar makes Price look good. That takes some effort.
Farrar's total coaching win rate 43%, and Price at 46%.
Bear in mind the squad he ( Farrar ) inherited in 2000, was virtually the same as the 99 GF team.

Farah usurped the coaching gig in 2001.

BLM01

First Grade
You know what, BLM01
I reckon I’d even settle for Barrett. I know it’s sad but a change is :100: needed.:thinking:
We are want to rid of Mary...but careful what we wish for. Outside of a Top 5 NRL coaches of Bellamy, Green, Robbo, Bennett & Siebold. The only other coaches that interest me are Toovey, Dessie, Flanno or Brad Arthur who I would give a crack too over Mary. Stop There.

Latest posts