What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for your consideration: coach Justin Holbrook

getsmarty

Immortal
My mail is Holbrook to get the Gold Coast job .
I listened in person to Bennett expain the background to the reasons behind the failed attempts by Roosters and Cowboys to sign him. He did agree to leave Brisbane and join the Roosters on the strict proviso that no news be made public until he had spoken to his current squad and addressed the issue at his end first. A news article shortly after broke that he was to coach the Roosters so he contacted the board at Bondi and advised them the deal was off, no discussion. On a separate season he met with the ceo of the Cowboys in his home at Brisbane. He agreed to leave Brisbane and go north. He said that on leaving his home the ceo smiled and said I will head straight back and advise the board of our agreement. His wife congratulated him and said it was great news He looked at her and said don't get excited it wont happen. Explaining to her that he had little faith in boards and they wont agree to it, and they didn't. The deal with Doust was just that, done without complication or difficulty. It was opportune for both parties, as is often the case in these matters and Bennett had belief that Doust would be some one he could deal with, and according to Bennett he was.

Yep...wasn't tallis the one on the Cowboys board who voted against Bennett going to Cows....

We were the last man standing, so to speak....@ least Doust didn't stuff that up..apart from only offering 3 years....Who in their right mind tells Bennett who asks for 5 years, sorry. our club only signs 3 years deals.....

Fast forward to 2019..and we have the current coach on an 8 year deal ( 2014 - 21)....You couldn't make this stuff up....UNBELIEVABLE INCOMPETENCE.

Hard Yards

Juniors
Yep...wasn't tallis the one on the Cowboys board who voted against Bennett going to Cows....

We were the last man standing, so to speak....@ least Doust didn't stuff that up..apart from only offering 3 years....Who in their right mind tells Bennett who asks for 5 years, sorry. our club only signs 3 years deals.....

Fast forward to 2019..and we have the current coach on an 8 year deal ( 2014 - 21)....You couldn't make this stuff up....UNBELIEVABLE INCOMPETENCE.
I cant say I have any idea as to who didn't support him at the Cowboys board, you may be right, it could of been Tallis, Bennett never volunteered that information. On the 5 year deal vs 3 at the dragons, I am just glad he came to the club, committed himself to the goal of a premiership and the rest is history. He is a very strong minded individual and had he really wanted to extend or insist on the 5 from the outset he would of done so. I know the club did move heaven and earth to keep him, but he had accomplished his job, and the lure of Newcastle without the hindrance of a board was too big. I do know one thing, I would like to see him back in any capacity or role.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Yes 5 years and we would have had at least 2 premierships in that time

8 years and emphatically declared blameless for the team's results in advance of the urgent season's review with 6 games to go. Huh????
Why is McGregor so secure in his position? In the real world it would just never happen.
Johnston and the Board continue to treat the fans with the upmost contempt and arrogance.

epDragon62

First Grade
Time to consider this thread again or Holbrook when his contract with the Titans is up after 2024..for 2025 the year Mary departs.
The problem is this: if Holbrook succeeds at the Tits, he won’t be let go, nor will he want to leave.; if he doesn’t succeed, we don’t want him.

Net result, Holbrook will not replace Mary and we can’t wait that long anyway.

possm

Coach
I cant say I have any idea as to who didn't support him at the Cowboys board, you may be right, it could of been Tallis, Bennett never volunteered that information. On the 5 year deal vs 3 at the dragons, I am just glad he came to the club, committed himself to the goal of a premiership and the rest is history. He is a very strong minded individual and had he really wanted to extend or insist on the 5 from the outset he would of done so. I know the club did move heaven and earth to keep him, but he had accomplished his job, and the lure of Newcastle without the hindrance of a board was too big. I do know one thing, I would like to see him back in any capacity or role.
We reportedly signed Bennett on a 3 year deal at 750k after Bennett asked for a 5 year deal at 750k. Bennett did not extend because Hinkler promised him the world and offered to pay him in excess of 1m per year.

So if Doust signed him for 5 years it would have been a bargin and probably give Bennett enough time to bring through some junior talent. In addition after the departure of Gasnier, Bennett may have been the one to re-unite the Morris twins at the Dragons.

BLM01

First Grade
The problem is this: if Holbrook succeeds at the Tits, he won’t be let go, nor will he want to leave.; if he doesn’t succeed, we don’t want him.

Net result, Holbrook will not replace Mary and we can’t wait that long anyway.
I was joking I did not want holbrook in the 1st place..It is a no from me for any other NRL rookie. The Dragons need experience because rookies will be controlled by our board and have to do it the Dragons loyalty way. Experienced coach will clear everything out and do it their way....if the Dragons take the punt again as they did with Saint Wayne

BLM01

First Grade
We reportedly signed Bennett on a 3 year deal at 750k after Bennett asked for a 5 year deal at 750k. Bennett did not extend because Hinkler promised him the world and offered to pay him in excess of 1m per year.

So if Doust signed him for 5 years it would have been a bargin and probably give Bennett enough time to bring through some junior talent. In addition after the departure of Gasnier, Bennett may have been the one to re-unite the Morris twins at the Dragons.
Right reportedly...by who?...or are you just guessing again how the deal was structured...unless you know Wayne's agent. No one even has a clue what Wayne is getting or gets as it never reported. everyone just guesses
Possm...you didnt need your 1st paragraph.to prove your point in the second paragraph which was just fine and more realistic.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Holbrook puts a neat little bow on his St Helens tenure, by winning the Superleague grand final.

Nice get, Titans.

Nathan Brown achieved the same accomplishment with St. Helens in 2014.Sadly, things didn’t go to plan for him at Newcastle.

One needs to take ESL success with a grain of salt as there have only been four winners since its inception some twenty odd years ago.

Reactions: jak

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

At the time, Bennett publicly claimed that money wasn’t the driving force in his decision to leave SGI in 2011. He also stated that he didn’t want to be at the club for a prolonged period.

TruSaint

Referee
At the time, Bennett publicly claimed that money wasn’t the driving force in his decision to leave SGI in 2011. He also stated that he didn’t want to be at the club for a prolonged period.

But going back to late 2008, he did ask for a 5 year deal Jimmy, did he not ?
I know " after" the event, he made the comments you suggest, but Im pretty sure the original deal he seeked with us was a 5 year one.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
But going back to late 2008, he did ask for a 5 year deal Jimmy, did he not ?
I know " after" the event, he made the comments you suggest, but Im pretty sure the original deal he seeked with us was a 5 year one.

Dunno.

As with every other fan associated with this Forum, I wasn’t present at the time of negotiations between Bennett and SGI.

TruSaint

Referee
Dunno.

As with every other fan associated with this Forum, I wasn’t present at the time of negotiations between Bennett and SGI.

I wasnt either, however all the reports did say that we "the club" didn't want t commit for 5 years, even though Bennett did ask for such. Very confident in saying that this was also confirmed by the Club.

If we had to be present, at all the subjects we discuss here the forum would be shut down.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I wasnt either, however all the reports did say that we "the club" didn't want t commit for 5 years, even though Bennett did ask for such. Very confident in saying that this was also confirmed by the Club.

If we had to be present, at all the subjects we discuss here the forum would be shut down.

“All” seems a bit much.

BLM01

First Grade
Without being privy to negotiations with Doust/SGI, it’s impossible to compare or make informed commentary.
Right..so how do you know that Bennett was not all about money to Newcastle then is all I said.
You can have it both ways by saying what he said publicly is fact when we all know nudder about SGI/Doust & Throw away money Tinkler/Newc