What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for your consideration: coach Justin Holbrook

Maxwell

Juniors
Mary will get an exstension as soon as dragons win a game. But I read Sunday telegraph that as soon as Trent Barrett’s contract is finished at Manly he will be sign as Mary’s assistant coach. Another former player to come home to roost.

hewi

Bench
Mary will get an exstension as soon as dragons win a game. But I read Sunday telegraph that as soon as Trent Barrett’s contract is finished at Manly he will be sign as Mary’s assistant coach. Another former player to come home to roost.

Then when Mary is sacked Barrett takes over, great.

Dannyboy80

Juniors
We had plenty of opportunities to appoint a better coach.
McGregor is a back room deal.
Even now, we have options if the club was serious about the coaching function.
But this is Board telling the Fans.
"We know best..."
"Mary is a career coach and regardless of results, we will prove to everyone that we made the right decision."
"Now just be quiet, keep renewing your memberships, keep buying Club merchandise and let us run the show the way it suits us.

Sad but true.
You’re right 100 percent, But who is the guy to take over if you’re saying we should have one of the best coaches in the comp? My point is there are a real lack of available, experienced top line coaches right now. Any new replacement will essentially be a huge question mark, and I’m curious about who could be next in line

You’re right 100 percent, But who is the guy to take over if you’re saying we should have one of the best coaches in the comp? My point is there are a real lack of available, experienced top line coaches right now. Any new replacement will essentially be a huge question mark, and I’m curious about who could be next in line
The really good ones with a win/loss ratio of 60%+ are a matter of planning, timing and money.
Somehow Doust managed to lure Bennett to us with the 3 great seasons to show for it.
Those sort of coaches are not going to fall in your lap, you have to chase them when and if they become available.
Having said that there are quality coaches around that would put us in line for a crack at the title.
There have been plenty of suggestions and there is probably a short list that can be considered but the Club must want a change in philosophy and be prepared to back the new coach without interfering.
There seems very little motivation from our Club based on comments made by Johnstone in the media.
One thing's for sure....McGregor ain't the solution.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
You all know that if we fail miserably this year then it will be Trent Barrett who takes over as head coach for the last 10 weeks right?
You know that yeah?
And he'll probably bring in Shaun Timmins as his assistant.

possm

Coach
We should not put it off any longer; Mary needs to be replace right now!

For me it is between Griffin and Toovey who have the capability to turn our team around. In fact I'd day if one of these coaches who both now sit on the sidelines is signed by SGI, there would be an instant turn around. Maybe too late for 2019 but surely in time for 2020.

Mary performs so bad that any change would immediately see a lift in performance. But what is really important is that the new coach starts immediately to give him the best chance of cleaning up our roster and drilling discipline, comradery and accountability into the player squad. As far as the roster is concerned we need at least 17 top first graders with skills that complement each other. Then we need backup players who can step up to first grade duties when required.

No more do we need the likes of Aitken, Lafai, Latimore, Allgood, Dufty, and possibly Graham. All of these players should be let go and replaced with high quality first graders. As for the backup players, Maranta and Runciman are a waste of time and block opportunities for our young juniors to develop and be assessed for first grade. Yes some experienced players need to occupy reserve grade positions but only those who can really step up of who are at that stage in their development when it is appropriate for them to be given an opportunity in first grade.

Other clubs seem to manage their roster quite will maintaining a competitive 17 while at the same time developing some bright talent. Under a good coach who has control over recruitment decisions, SGI could do the same.

The calm one

Juniors
We should not put it off any longer; Mary needs to be replace right now!

For me it is between Griffin and Toovey who have the capability to turn our team around. In fact I'd day if one of these coaches who both now sit on the sidelines is signed by SGI, there would be an instant turn around. Maybe too late for 2019 but surely in time for 2020.

Mary performs so bad that any change would immediately see a lift in performance. But what is really important is that the new coach starts immediately to give him the best chance of cleaning up our roster and drilling discipline, comradery and accountability into the player squad. As far as the roster is concerned we need at least 17 top first graders with skills that complement each other. Then we need backup players who can step up to first grade duties when required.

No more do we need the likes of Aitken, Lafai, Latimore, Allgood, Dufty, and possibly Graham. All of these players should be let go and replaced with high quality first graders. As for the backup players, Maranta and Runciman are a waste of time and block opportunities for our young juniors to develop and be assessed for first grade. Yes some experienced players need to occupy reserve grade positions but only those who can really step up of who are at that stage in their development when it is appropriate for them to be given an opportunity in first grade.

Other clubs seem to manage their roster quite will maintaining a competitive 17 while at the same time developing some bright talent. Under a good coach who has control over recruitment decisions, SGI could do the same.
It's not between anyone because no one is coming here

Somehow Doust managed to lure Bennett to us with the 3 great seasons to show for it.
Those sort of coaches are not going to fall in your lap, you have to chase them when and if they become available.

But Bennett did literally fall into our lap! We were his least preferred option but the last club standing after a couple of other deals went off the rails. He had actually signed with Roosters, and I think he was chasing Cowboys job from memory.

It wasn't Doust, it was luck.

Straight Shooter

Hard Yards

Juniors
But Bennett did literally fall into our lap! We were his least preferred option but the last club standing after a couple of other deals went off the rails. He had actually signed with Roosters, and I think he was chasing Cowboys job from memory.

It wasn't Doust, it was luck.

Straight Shooter
I listened in person to Bennett expain the background to the reasons behind the failed attempts by Roosters and Cowboys to sign him. He did agree to leave Brisbane and join the Roosters on the strict proviso that no news be made public until he had spoken to his current squad and addressed the issue at his end first. A news article shortly after broke that he was to coach the Roosters so he contacted the board at Bondi and advised them the deal was off, no discussion. On a separate season he met with the ceo of the Cowboys in his home at Brisbane. He agreed to leave Brisbane and go north. He said that on leaving his home the ceo smiled and said I will head straight back and advise the board of our agreement. His wife congratulated him and said it was great news He looked at her and said don't get excited it wont happen. Explaining to her that he had little faith in boards and they wont agree to it, and they didn't. The deal with Doust was just that, done without complication or difficulty. It was opportune for both parties, as is often the case in these matters and Bennett had belief that Doust would be some one he could deal with, and according to Bennett he was.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I listened in person to Bennett expain the background to the reasons behind the failed attempts by Roosters and Cowboys to sign him. He did agree to leave Brisbane and join the Roosters on the strict proviso that no news be made public until he had spoken to his current squad and addressed the issue at his end first. A news article shortly after broke that he was to coach the Roosters so he contacted the board at Bondi and advised them the deal was off, no discussion. On a separate season he met with the ceo of the Cowboys in his home at Brisbane. He agreed to leave Brisbane and go north. He said that on leaving his home the ceo smiled and said I will head straight back and advise the board of our agreement. His wife congratulated him and said it was great news He looked at her and said don't get excited it wont happen. Explaining to her that he had little faith in boards and they wont agree to it, and they didn't. The deal with Doust was just that, done without complication or difficulty. It was opportune for both parties, as is often the case in these matters and Bennett had belief that Doust would be some one he could deal with, and according to Bennett he was.
It's a damn shame we couldn't get him back....I think we know what the main stumbling block was. Now we languish on the bottom

Last edited: