What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Kangaroos star Ian Roberts will reveal rugby league has left him with brain da

betcats

Referee
Oh so rugby league players having brain damage or not means f**k all. Well good, what are we arguing about then dumbass?

How do you know the thousands of former players you know dont have brain damage?? You asked them all? Do you even know if they have been tested? You full shit talking about these former players you know not having brain damage, thats just a big ass assumption.

And yes ive played footy and been tackled before.

betcats

Referee
Have any of you dipshits ever been hit by a good hard tackle? Many of those tackles you would have seen last night have a lot more force and can do more damage than a shoulder charge to the chest. The ones that hurt the most are the driving ones under the ribs that slam you on your back. A huge impact, another big impact when you hit the ground, often winded and sometimes a concussion from hitting your head against the ground. A tackle like that knocked me unconscious, gave me a bad concussion and a bad neck injury that gave me headaches and neck pains for months. I've never been injured nor have I seen someone in local league be injured by a shoulder charge.
To think the shoulder charge ban helps with impact is f**king stupid. Just because you wrap your arms around doesn't lessen the impact. In fact going on with the tackle would cause more damage from the initial impact and the second impact with the ground.

And fat armchair expert? f**king idiots. I've played local league for the last 16 years of my life. And I weigh 70kg. I hurt my leg at training last night but decided to keep running, maybe I should sue the NRL if a serious injury comes from it?

No one gives a f**k about your local league mates and or what you did at training last night you hard merkin.

The brain damage issue despite being sensationalised by the media is real.

Last edited:

MrAnonymous

Bench
Have any of you dipshits ever been hit by a good hard tackle? Many of those tackles you would have seen last night have a lot more force and can do more damage than a shoulder charge to the chest. The ones that hurt the most are the driving ones under the ribs that slam you on your back. A huge impact, another big impact when you hit the ground, often winded and sometimes a concussion from hitting your head against the ground. A tackle like that knocked me unconscious, gave me a bad concussion and a bad neck injury that gave me headaches and neck pains for months. I've never been injured nor have I seen someone in local league be injured by a shoulder charge.
To think the shoulder charge ban helps with impact is f**king stupid. Just because you wrap your arms around doesn't lessen the impact. In fact going on with the tackle would cause more damage from the initial impact and the second impact with the ground.

And fat armchair expert? f**king idiots. I've played local league for the last 16 years of my life. And I weigh 70kg. I hurt my leg at training last night but decided to keep running, maybe I should sue the NRL if a serious injury comes from it?
No wonder you keep getting smashed, put some weight on you skinny merkin.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
but the DT says it's only RL as you can see by their article entitled "the sport that turns brains into jelly"

I was listening to Triple M and heard Paul Kent say "Its doesnt really happen much in AFL and Rugby Union".

I nearly choked on a roll when I heard that.

Whilst it is common in Rugby League, you still see the collisions in AFL and Rugby Union blokes stomping on heads.

I recall one bloke collapsed on the field during a Union match.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's a problem for all contact sports. It's interesting if a person blows out an acl we are all like oh that needs to be rehabbed properly but if a person suffers an injury to the brain some people are up in arms at the prospect of that being rehabbed properly.

I don't think rugby league is a bad guy. It's not like nfl where players used to be able to legally launch at each other like missiles causing a lot of brain issues with helmet to helmet contact but I think we should start to treat a concussion like any other injury when it comes to rehab. If it takes a number of weeks it takes a number of weeks.

Springs

First Grade
No one gives a f**k about your local league mates and or what you did at training last night you hard merkin.

The brain damage issue despite being sensationalised by the media is real.

No one is saying it's not real you f**king tough guy. We are saying it's been way too overhyped and the measures some people are suggesting are f**king stupid. By the way no one gives a shit about what you think mr keyboard hero.

No wonder you keep getting smashed, put some weight on you skinny merkin.

Not everyone can be 120kg f**kstick. I don't play in the NRL.

Springs

First Grade
How do you know the thousands of former players you know dont have brain damage?? You asked them all? Do you even know if they have been tested? You full shit talking about these former players you know not having brain damage, thats just a big ass assumption.

And yes ive played footy and been tackled before.

Because they function normally and have never mentioned any ill effects. They also think this shoulder charge ban and 'brain damage' hysteria is bullshit. If they have brain damage it's very minor and doesn't interfere with their lives one bit.
You are the one talking shit. Go ahead, list the former players that have brain damage mate. f**k if you want to look that deep into it every player probably has some kind of brain damage, in all contact sports. I know for certain that my brain showed no kind of serious damage and I've been concussed 4 times.

BTW the point of me hurting my leg at training bit is to show that it's our f**king choice to play and if we choose to play despite knowing the dangers and having been seriously injured it is no grounds to sue the f**king sport if you have trouble later in life.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You are the keyboard hero Springs the very definition of one. You are posting that because you are so tough and awesome that shrugging off concussions for you is no big thing that Rugby League professionals (and keep in mind the old expression that professionals of other sports have more in common with each other than amateurs of their own comes to mind. NRL players hit with VASTLY more force than your local league) should be able to shrug them off as well.

Its keyboard heroism to the max.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/201...ge-to-brain-lingers-after-symptoms-fade-study

WEDNESDAY, Nov. 20, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- Months after concussion symptoms such as dizziness, headaches and memory loss fade, the brain continues to show signs of injury, a new study suggests.

Comparing 50 concussion patients with the same number of healthy people, researchers found that the brains of those suffering concussions showed abnormalities four months later. This happened despite the fact that their symptoms had already eased to some degree.

The findings may sway conventional thinking about when it's safe to resume physical activities that could produce another concussion, the study authors said.

"This is a very different population than professional athletes going out and having concussions on a fairly [frequent] basis, as well as jostling their brain around their skull on a regular basis in practice," said study author Andrew Mayer, an associate professor of translational neuroscience at the Mind Research Network in Albuquerque, N.M. It's hard to predict an outcome based on these findings, he said, "but just because you feel you're healed doesn't mean you are."

The study, which was funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health, is published in the Nov. 20 online edition of the journal Neurology.

Considered a mild traumatic brain injury that occurs from a sudden blow to the head or body, a concussion has symptoms that range from headache and blurry vision to difficulties in sleeping or thinking clearly. Most occur without losing consciousness, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Mayer and his team matched 50 patients with mild concussions to 50 healthy people of similar age and education levels. They tested all participants in memory and thinking skills, as well as other symptoms such as anxiety and depression.

Special brain scans using technology that is not available in standard brain scans were also given. All tests and scans were repeated two weeks after the concussion, and again four months later.

While concussion symptoms were reduced by up to 27 percent four months after injury, brain scans of those with concussions showed abnormalities in the frontal cortex area of both sides of the brain. These abnormalities may have resulted from changes in location of fluid around brain cells or changes in the shape of certain brain cells in response to damage, Mayer explained.

The findings, he noted, suggest that the recommendation that athletes suffering concussions should refrain from play for one to two weeks may not be sufficient.

Springs stop talking shit.

Springs

First Grade
You are the keyboard hero Springs the very definition of one. You are posting that because you are so tough and awesome that shrugging off concussions for you is no big thing that Rugby League professionals (and keep in mind the old expression that professionals of other sports have more in common with each other than amateurs of their own comes to mind. NRL players hit with VASTLY more force than your local league) should be able to shrug them off as well.

Its keyboard heroism to the max.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/201...ge-to-brain-lingers-after-symptoms-fade-study

Springs stop talking shit.

:lol: Pete Cash calling someone else a keyboard hero. LOL, the king crusader for drug rights himself. How rich that is. Keyboard heroes are the ones that don't play the game thinking they know more about it than the players themselves. I do play the game and I know what it's like to be hit hard and concussed and I know what the players think about this stupid shoulder charge rule and this hysteria about the game being unsafe.

No, I am not saying I'm tough you f**kwit. I'm representing what the players think. I didn't say anything about shrugging off concussions you idiot. I'm talking about how ridiculous the shoulder charge rule and the hysteria is. I said the concussion test was a GOOD rule. If a player thinks he needs to sit out for 4 weeks for a concussion then fine, but if they are right after a week then that is fine to since it's their f**king choice.

That study says f**king nothing! 'One or two weeks MAY not be sufficient' is all they got from it? We knew the effects of concussion.

Springs

First Grade
Read Bennett's interview about this ridiculous hysteria. I think he's more qualified to comment on it than some f**kwit like betcats or Pete Cash.
Or is Bennett a 'keyboard hero' as well?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
They might feel right you idiot but they may still be suffering from the concussion. Which is exactly what I just posted.

I can post studies showing how serious concussions are all day. Can you find a single one saying that actually concussions aren't such a big deal ? Here have another one

http://www.concussiontreatment.com/concussionfacts.html#sfaq7

Long term effects of multiple concussions are currently being studied by researchers around the globe. Not only can multiple traumatic incidents contribute to the development of mild cognitive impairments (MCI's), chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), and other adverse outcomes, but a storied concussion history can also cause post-concussion syndrome (PCS). While we are still elucidating the causes of these long term effects, it is imperative that a person fully recover from one concussion before risking a subsequent one. Failing to do so adequately can lead to additional neurologic damage. Given this new understanding, managing concussions requires specialized, comprehensive and state-of-the-art approaches.

Hmm that is interesting but its not like a person is more likely to get a concussion after they get one is it. Wrong. (same source)

Additionally, a history of developmental disorders, psychiatric disorders, or a history of headaches or migraines can play a part in concussion recovery time. Research suggests that for every concussion, the person is 1-2 times more likely for a second; 2-4 times more likely for a third; and 3-9 times more likely for a fourth. the factors contributing to concussions and their recovery is regularly revealing new information, and it's important that the people responsible for the health of the athletes stay up to date on the latest research on prevention and treatment.

Just to give an EXTREME example of this. I am sure lots of us watched attitude era wrestling and know who Mick Foley (mankind) is. He suffered so many concussions during his career that he can't ride rollercoasters without GETTING A CONCUSSION FROM IT.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I think I can do what I want, you f**kwit.

I would have snapped you like a twig, if I ever played against you. But now I'll let my sons do the job if they ever meet you on a footy field.

I seriously believe you are showing signs of brain damage, you little skinny prick.

betcats

Referee
I would have snapped you like a twig, if I ever played against you. But now I'll let my sons do the job if they ever meet you on a footy field.

I seriously believe you are showing signs of brain damage, you little skinny prick.

He is and advertisement for what too many head knocks can do.

Last edited:

Latest posts