What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Kangaroos star Ian Roberts will reveal rugby league has left him with brain da

Springs

First Grade
Or its like people who chose to work in a pub around second hand smoke then got cancer and sued.

Your just rambling now mate, your dad not having brain damage means f**k all.

Also a shoulder charge to melon from todays forwards is gonna do a lot more damage then a forward from even just 20 years ago.

No, you're rambling because you are making up bullshit. My dad not having brain damage means nothing? Oh, well how about we just ask all the players who have ever f**king played the sport? Let's see how many of them have f**king brain damage shall we? :roll:
I know thousands of former league players and many of them have trouble with some injury from their playing days. Amazingly none have brain damage and none would ever think of suing because of their injuries. All of them know it was their choice to play. And yeah, maybe a shoulder to the head would do more damage now. But there's a whole lot less elbows, knees and fists to the head now than there was.

A shoulder to the head is against the rules. All players know this and it's penalised when it happens. How could the NRL get sued for something when it's clearly against the rules?

It's amazing how many players and fans disagree with the shoulder charge ban. And how many former players and current players know that it's their choice to play and their fault if they get injured. They must be infected with some horrible strain of common sense.

Springs

First Grade
holy crap.

a man that played at the highest level writes an article where he chronicles his own experiences with repeated concussions and people here are still in denial about the effects and bitch about the rule changes to mitigate the possible damage done.

not everyone is effected the same way or to the same extent. but i know guys who were hard as nails and bright, smart people. now they are not any of those things. they're dull and can barely lift a drink.

some will be effected more than others. but they all need protection, often from themselves.

Ian Roberts didn't write the article. He was misquoted by Fitzsimmons.

You do know that age does that to people right? I know plenty of people with dementia and Alzheimer's that never played.

If you think we need protection from ourselves, ban rugby league. But first ban alcohol of course, then all other sports.

DC_fan

Coach
It's as dumb as signing up for the army, being deployed in a war and then suing because I got shot.

Not a good comparison.

You join the military and go off to war. So what do you expect the enemy is going to do.

seanoff

Juniors
Ian Roberts didn't write the article. He was misquoted by Fitzsimmons.

You do know that age does that to people right? I know plenty of people with dementia and Alzheimer's that never played.

If you think we need protection from ourselves, ban rugby league. But first ban alcohol of course, then all other sports.

I was talking about matty johns.

Strangely dementia in people under 60 is quite rare, for matty to know a group of them is even rarer.

Don't have to ban sports, but the prevention and management of brain injuries needs to be taken seriously.

Joints can be more effectively managed, even replaced if needs be, but you cannot replace your brain or really do anything to stop the degeneration of the brain once it starts.

Concussion, esp repeated concussions are a serious chronic health problem and sometimes an acute health problem.

Just because you are an undereducated oaff doesn't mean that others shouldn't be trying to protect people and their future, footballers or not. If thr NRL didn't act and continued not to act then the sport of RL would have been in real trouble because the inevitable class action by a group of players would have won and the payout would probably be into the hundreds of millions with possible criminal sanction of RL executives and almost certainly damages claims against those people.

Now that they know the dangers, they have to act otherwise there will be nothing.

betcats

Referee
No, you're rambling because you are making up bullshit. My dad not having brain damage means nothing? Oh, well how about we just ask all the players who have ever f**king played the sport? Let's see how many of them have f**king brain damage shall we? :roll:
I know thousands of former league players and many of them have trouble with some injury from their playing days. Amazingly none have brain damage and none would ever think of suing because of their injuries. All of them know it was their choice to play. And yeah, maybe a shoulder to the head would do more damage now. But there's a whole lot less elbows, knees and fists to the head now than there was.

A shoulder to the head is against the rules. All players know this and it's penalised when it happens. How could the NRL get sued for something when it's clearly against the rules?

It's amazing how many players and fans disagree with the shoulder charge ban. And how many former players and current players know that it's their choice to play and their fault if they get injured. They must be infected with some horrible strain of common sense.

Yes it means f**k all you dumb prick I dont care if hes a genius or a drooling f**ken genius.

ceagle

Bench
I think the issue is a lot more serious in the NFL since players use to lead with their heads, it seemed they believed the helmets made the invincible which was no the case

El Diablo

Post Whore
according to Triple M League is the only sport that has concussions

Triple M NRL ‏@TripleM_NRLhttps://twitter.com/TripleM_NRL/status/444647431821459456
NOW - We are taking calls from parents about #NRL. Are concussions making them second-guess letting their kids play? 1333 53 to weigh in

Triple M NRL ‏@TripleM_NRLhttps://twitter.com/TripleM_NRL/status/444648870123819008
"After watching Ian Roberts... I was for the first time in a couple of years contemplating not letting my boy play league" - listener Mark

did listener Mark not notice the story was about other sports too?

Let's not forget that shoulder charges were rare when Roberts was playing.

Basa is $6.99 a kilo as well.

I applaud blokes like Roberts for comming out with his health issues that he has thanks to league. I don't see any mention of him with his hand out for dollars.

Hopefully thanks to blokes like him we have a sport that does all it can to make it as safe as possible.

Nothing pisses me off more then idiots complaining about the ban of the shoulder charge, hell even a safe one isn't very healthy having that much force hitting a human body from a small point.

And I fully applaud an automatic send off for a punch, game is tough enough without that shit in it.

Maximus

Coach
Such compassion from the fat armchair experts on here.

Their enjoyment is more important than the health and safety of the players. Shoulder charges are more important than brain injuries because they know the risks and choose to play anyway.

We should repeal all OH&S laws while we are at it since people know the risks of their jobs, but still do them anyway.

Springs

First Grade
Basa is $6.99 a kilo as well.

I applaud blokes like Roberts for comming out with his health issues that he has thanks to league. I don't see any mention of him with his hand out for dollars.

Hopefully thanks to blokes like him we have a sport that does all it can to make it as safe as possible.

Nothing pisses me off more then idiots complaining about the ban of the shoulder charge, hell even a safe one isn't very healthy having that much force hitting a human body from a small point.

And I fully applaud an automatic send off for a punch, game is tough enough without that shit in it.

:roll: Isn't very healthy. What crap. A tackle isn't very healthy dipshit. The game isn't healthy.

Their enjoyment is more important than the health and safety of the players. Shoulder charges are more important than brain injuries because they know the risks and choose to play anyway.

We should repeal all OH&S laws while we are at it since people know the risks of their jobs, but still do them anyway.

Wow. You seriously think that's a worthwhile comparison. Get off it mate.

Yes it means f**k all you dumb prick I dont care if hes a genius or a drooling f**ken genius.

Oh so rugby league players having brain damage or not means f**k all. Well good, what are we arguing about then dumbass?

Springs

First Grade
Have any of you dipshits ever been hit by a good hard tackle? Many of those tackles you would have seen last night have a lot more force and can do more damage than a shoulder charge to the chest. The ones that hurt the most are the driving ones under the ribs that slam you on your back. A huge impact, another big impact when you hit the ground, often winded and sometimes a concussion from hitting your head against the ground. A tackle like that knocked me unconscious, gave me a bad concussion and a bad neck injury that gave me headaches and neck pains for months. I've never been injured nor have I seen someone in local league be injured by a shoulder charge.
To think the shoulder charge ban helps with impact is f**king stupid. Just because you wrap your arms around doesn't lessen the impact. In fact going on with the tackle would cause more damage from the initial impact and the second impact with the ground.

And fat armchair expert? f**king idiots. I've played local league for the last 16 years of my life. And I weigh 70kg. I hurt my leg at training last night but decided to keep running, maybe I should sue the NRL if a serious injury comes from it?

NrlCoach

Juniors
Have any of you dipshits ever been hit by a good hard tackle? Many of those tackles you would have seen last night have a lot more force and can do more damage than a shoulder charge to the chest. The ones that hurt the most are the driving ones under the ribs that slam you on your back. A huge impact, another big impact when you hit the ground, often winded and sometimes a concussion from hitting your head against the ground. A tackle like that knocked me unconscious, gave me a bad concussion and a bad neck injury that gave me headaches and neck pains for months. I've never been injured nor have I seen someone in local league be injured by a shoulder charge.
To think the shoulder charge ban helps with impact is f**king stupid. Just because you wrap your arms around doesn't lessen the impact. In fact going on with the tackle would cause more damage from the initial impact and the second impact with the ground.

And fat armchair expert? f**king idiots. I've played local league for the last 16 years of my life. And I weigh 70kg. I hurt my leg at training last night but decided to keep running, maybe I should sue the NRL if a serious injury comes from it?
Please stop with the common sense!!! You are giving me brain damage.

magpie4ever

First Grade

You need to stop playing mini league.:lol:

magpie4ever

First Grade

El Diablo

Post Whore
DT deathriding League as usual

you don't see the Victorian media writing daily articles on ex players in their code

you don't see the DT Yawnion journos doing it either