What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Kangaroos star Ian Roberts will reveal rugby league has left him with brain da

It was only a matter of time before a former come forward with such a claim. If players take the NRL to court as has former NFL have done with their sport in the US, it could bankrupt the game.

This situation has serious repercussions as to how the game will be played in the future.

Keep in mind that compensation from legal action is generally much more limited in Australia than the US.

DC_fan

Coach
I understand that the NRL should do everything in it's power to try and prevent concussion and other head injures that can lead to brain damage, but even way back when I last played the game we understood that every time you took to the field you were taking the risk of something like this happening to you.

In my opinion the situation here with the NRL is a little different to the situation in America with the NFL, where it is suggested that the NFL knew the dangers of concussion and tried to conceal it instead of warning the players and taking preventative measures.

There's no suggestion that that happened here in Australia where it seems that as soon as the NRl found out about the dangers they tried add in preventative measures, so I don't think that a law suit would get anywhere and again even back in my day we knew that every time we took to the field that their were many dangers, many that we didn't fully understand, so quite frankly I think it would be pretty piss poor if a group of ex-player sued the NRL/ARLC over this and that they'd only be doing it as a money grab.

You might think differently if you were a former player suffering from brain damage caused by playing the game.

You ever had a family member suffer from dementia. I have and it's not nice for the family or the person suffering from it. To know someone all your life and for them not to know you. For them to not even know who they are themself.

You ever know someone who suffers from depression. I work with someone who suffers from it. To hear of their struggles and problems.

Their is still not enough information about concussion and what the long term problems are from it. That's changing, but there is still along way to go.

georgesnmith

Juniors
lol at roberts

if anyone remembers what he did to garry jack at leichardt oval he should be the last person to talk about damage suffering playing league

can anyone post a photo of jacks face?

stick to acting roberts, stop using league to make a name for yourself

seanoff

Juniors
helmets in the NFL only really protect for the more graphic injuries i.e. those with a lot of blood from large cuts, broken noses.

concussion comes from the brain spearing into the skull. helmets can mitigate some of that but not as much as you think.

AND helmets and the head were in the NFL

a) Targets. was perfectly legal to spear your head into another guys head at full speed. that was considered a good tackle.

b)weapons. see a.

Dutchy

Immortal
I read it as more of a warning to take precautions rather than a money grab?

Make headgear compulsory for under 13s and down. Just like junior cricketers are supposed to wear helmets (barely enforced)

Jack deserved what he got.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The NFL is in trouble because it knew and tried to downplay/hide the head injury problems from the players.

It's horrible but I don't think the NRL can't be held accountable here, it's a contact sport.

Red Bear

Referee
Headgears are only really good for avoiding superficial injuries eg cuts and grazes, best thing to prevent concussion is, from memory, a mouthguard.

Rugby League has been very lax when it comes to player welfare and concussions. Endless times in the past we've seen players groggy as anything, knocked out only to later appear on the field again. This has to stop. Even the one week off afterwards is probably not enough.

As mentioned above by eozsmiles, when they're getting put back in the field in a groggy condition, probably unable to make a rational decision, that's when it comes back on the clubs and the competition as a whole for displaying negligence towards their players.

As mentioned also, doesn't seem to be a money grab, more a warning to people. And until the clubs start dealing properly with concussions (which it seems they finally are taking steps towards doing) this is an issue that will keep popping up.

NrlCoach

Juniors
helmets in the NFL only really protect for the more graphic injuries i.e. those with a lot of blood from large cuts, broken noses.

concussion comes from the brain spearing into the skull. helmets can mitigate some of that but not as much as you think.

AND helmets and the head were in the NFL

a) Targets. was perfectly legal to spear your head into another guys head at full speed. that was considered a good tackle.

b)weapons. see a.
this. it was leagl to use your helmet to hit anther player in the head with it. The NFL knew it was dangers to health of player but didnt ban it. In the NRL or rugby league its has always been illegal to hit someone above the neck. The only way Roberts could sue is if he was forced to go back in the field after been concussed. He would have to have some damn good evidences.

Matchball

Bench
Of course it's him. Attention seeking twat.
I guess his aspirations of being a Hollywood actor fell through and is now looking for another pay day.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Most of the players that will come forward didint play in the NRL, So do they really have a leg to stand on?

adamkungl

Immortal
Yawn. He knew the risks. As does everyone that steps onto a football field.

Bring back the shoulder charge.

Edwahu

Bench
Hopefully there was some independent medical verification before seven decided to run with this story.

Canard

Immortal
Gee some real compassionate types on LU.

Guy reveals he has brain damage from playing the game, and he is a scumbag, lowlife, idiot and a attention seeker?

Latest posts