What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

OldPanther

Coach
Burton played one game!!!!! Nathan Cleary had a disappointing season overall.

While Jimmy came here on a three year deal he was only ever staying for the two and his move to Catalans was something worked out well in advance as I posted in April last year well before his move was announced.

You and other’s seem to want to insulate Matt Moylan and absolve him from criticism. Moylan in 2016 was outstanding, that was his season, he deserved his SOO and Kangaroo selections. Sadly however that was it, one season. Jimmy delivered for each and every NRL team he played for almost 250 appearances and represented the NSW Blue with distinction.

James Maloney will be remembered fondly as a great of the game while Matt Moylan will largely be forgotten if he hasn’t already and that is sad because Moylan should have been capable of more but he lacked the intestinal fortitude and dedication required to be a top player.

Most of that was irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Yes Burton had 1 game. It was better than anything Jimmy did after origin in 2019 and if we are taking his injury into consideration it makes it even worse since there were options that could fill in.

How he played for other teams means nothing to me as a fan of this team and it doesn't change that he wasn't any better for us than Moylan was. We got him at the end of a hard fought career. No shame in admitting the physical toll.

No idea what the dig about insulating Moylan has to do with this. Both took us to week 2 of finals. They are objectively equal as Panthers players based on performance.

betcats

Referee
He had neck surgery in the 2019 off-season. According to Gus he was in immense pain for half the season but wanted to keep playing and delayed the surgery.

Well I missed that. The circumstances are unfortunate but it still means he couldn’t deliver that class we were hoping for when we needed it. There was always some risk in signing him at that age and it seemed to have worked against us.

Honestly I know it’s selfish of me but if he was in so much pain and coming off neck surgery at that age it would’ve been nice to see him miss origin and focus on being right for the back end of the year.

edit: or do you mean he just had neck surgery? If so maybe he should’ve just had it and let Jerome play.

Kilkenny

Coach
Well I missed that. The circumstances are unfortunate but it still means he couldn’t deliver that class we were hoping for when we needed it. There was always some risk in signing him at that age and it seemed to have worked against us.

Honestly I know it’s selfish of me but if he was in so much pain and coming off neck surgery at that age it would’ve been nice to see him miss origin and focus on being right for the back end of the year.

edit: or do you mean he just had neck surgery? If so maybe he should’ve just had it and let Jerome play.

He had his initial neck surgery in November or December after his first season with us.

It ruled him out of the Kangaroo games post season.

The surgery was reported as being a success at the time but as I understand the issue continued to plague him throughout 2019.

I think it is one of those issues NRL players will suffer from once there career is over and I don’t envy them. They need to make there money in there limited career window because when it is over most have to get a real job.

Many years ago now I was having knee surgery from my footy injuries and Terry Wickey was having knee surgery done at the same private hospital at the same time. He was in a far worse state than me and that was back in the day when players got match payments, no big fat contracts, literally cash payments for playing games. No play no pay. This was after his career was over but he was basically a cripple which I know is a horrible term but he was in a bad place at that time. Medical science and surgery has improved significantly from those days but still even the modern day NRL players must suffer later in life from the effects of there playing days.

OldPanther

Coach
He had his initial neck surgery in November or December after his first season with us.

It ruled him out of the Kangaroo games post season.

The surgery was reported as being a success at the time but as I understand the issue continued to plague him throughout 2019.

I think it is one of those issues NRL players will suffer from once there career is over and I don’t envy them. They need to make there money in there limited career window because when it is over most have to get a real job.

Many years ago now I was having knee surgery from my footy injuries and Terry Wickey was having knee surgery done at the same private hospital at the same time. He was in a far worse state than me and that was back in the day when players got match payments, no big fat contracts, literally cash payments for playing games. No play no pay. This was after his career was over but he was basically a cripple which I know is a horrible term but he was in a bad place at that time. Medical science and surgery has improved significantly from those days but still even the modern day NRL players must suffer later in life from the effects of there playing days.

Speaking of the injuries I sure hope he gets good treatment. An injury around the neck surely has potential to be big trouble as he gets older.

OldPanther

Coach
Did anyone notice Jimmy’s pin point bomb to set up Issy’s first try for
Catalan’s in there 36-18 win.

Yeah fox has been reporting it an masse. Not surprised considering the two players. They'll be seeing a lot more with Jimmy's kicking game and Izzy was always know for being good under the high ball.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah fox has been reporting it an masse. Not surprised considering the two players. They'll be seeing a lot more with Jimmy's kicking game and Izzy was always know for being good under the high ball.
Good luck to Jimmy and Izzy as well. I don’t necessarily agree with what he said or how he delivered his message but I don’t want him to fail as such although I do believe everything he has done throughout his career has been based on money.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hands looked fairly comfortable. What is your opinion on him? Also check tour notifications tagged you in a Luai comment.

Somewhere in a thread there is a comment of me saying he should be our backup hooker. Nothing special at 7 and only 10 games or so in at hooker but looks decent

Latest posts