What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

betcats

Referee
Im sure Jimmy is more than capable but he has lost that fire or hungriness. You cant fake that motivation.

Kilkenny

Coach
Jimmy is the type of personality that has inner competitiveness. I\m sure he would be competitive playing with his kids in the backyard.

I don’t agree with the suggestions he didn’t give his all for us last season. His body was an issue which hindered him but to my mind he gave all he could under difficult circumstances not least being the fact we were pretty dreadful as a team and that includes the coaching staff and management.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don’t agree with the suggestions he didn’t give his all for us last season. His body was an issue which hindered him but to my mind he gave all he could under difficult circumstances not least being the fact we were pretty dreadful as a team and that includes the coaching staff and management.

I totally agree. I've said it before and I will repeat myself. The season was over before it started because of the sextapes. One jurno said the players 'were like the walking dead' they were shattered. I understand many of them were sudo involved in it all. A couple of partners wouldn't allow (or were unhappy) about their players travelling away for games.

Individually the players put in. As a team they didn't gell and didn't play well.

I think this has been adressed in the off season Cleary (Ivan) has spoken about being mentally prepared to play, when plans fall flat have back up plans. The army style camp looked at this too.

I think the players looked fitter too. The pre season looks to have been ramped up more than a touch.

I think players who didn't buy into this were weeded out too.

Hopefuly all of this happening means the team will perform better in 2020.

Kilkenny

Coach
I totally agree. I've said it before and I will repeat myself. The season was over before it started because of the sextapes. One jurno said the players 'were like the walking dead' they were shattered. I understand many of them were sudo involved in it all. A couple of partners wouldn't allow (or were unhappy) about their players travelling away for games.

Individually the players put in. As a team they didn't gell and didn't play well.

I think this has been adressed in the off season Cleary (Ivan) has spoken about being mentally prepared to play, when plans fall flat have back up plans. The army style camp looked at this too.

I think the players looked fitter too. The pre season looks to have been ramped up more than a touch.

I think players who didn't buy into this were weeded out too.

Hopefuly all of this happening means the team will perform better in 2020.

Hopefully Alice.

We had three really good seasons albeit we didn’t quite have the finished product to go deeper.

Ivan seems to be taking a different approach for this season and clearly he needed to.

I think we have a good squad if we get a little bit of good fortune with injuries something we haven’t enjoyed in recent times.

Our fan base deserve better than the footy we dished up last season and I am confident we will deliver on that front.

For me personally I want to be able to go to our home games and feel confident we are going to put in, play attractive footy and give our fan base something to cheer about. I can accept a loss if we give our all and play well in the process.

betcats

Referee

If his body was that bad he should’ve sat out and got it right or bloody retired, sounds like an excuse for high paid player not delivering. He was right for origin both years and was able to perform well at that level, but he was busted for us hmmmm....

BxTom

Bench
If his body was that bad he should’ve sat out and got it right or bloody retired, sounds like an excuse for high paid player not delivering. He was right for origin both years and was able to perform well at that level, but he was busted for us hmmmm....
Unlike Moylan, he didn't turn his back on his team mates and the fans.

Kilkenny

Coach
If his body was that bad he should’ve got it right or retired, sounds like an excuse for high paid player not delivering. He was right for origin both years and was able to perform at that level, but he was busted for us hmmmm....

Betcats, be honest with yourself would you retire if you could potentially earn $500K or more a season for
[QUOTE

It’s really ancient history now and does it really matter either way?

Jimmy is gone we agree to disagree on what he brought to the Panthers in 2019.

At the end of the day if there is a club out still willing to pay me $500K a season or more then frankly I would play on and it is naive to expect anyone to just retire under such circumstances. Your a long time retired and while I am sure Jimmy has looked after himself financially can anyone blame him for playing on. I think your being really harsh on him and perhaps the best time to pass judgement will be in two years time when his contract with Catalans is up.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think the Tyrone May saga still hangs heavy over the present players. I just hope they can put it behind them.

I agree. I think many of them have learnt some massive lessons about how to treat others (especially women) It's dreadful to think such a thing had to be exposed before the behaviour was even questioned.

Let's hope they go into 2020 with a clearer mindset, hurting from 2019 and a burning desire to win.

betcats

Referee
Betcats, be honest with yourself would you retire if you could potentially earn $500K or more a season for
[QUOTE

It’s really ancient history now and does it really matter either way?

Jimmy is gone we agree to disagree on what he brought to the Panthers in 2019.

At the end of the day if there is a club out still willing to pay me $500K a season or more then frankly I would play on and it is naive to expect anyone to just retire under such circumstances. Your a long time retired and while I am sure Jimmy has looked after himself financially can anyone blame him for playing on. I think your being really harsh on him and perhaps the best time to pass judgement will be in two years time when his contract with Catalans is up.

Don’t discuss it if you don’t think it matters.

He would’ve been on closer to a million, I don’t blame Jimmy for taking the money but I’m not going to act like he was good for us just because he pulled the jersey on for two years. He wasn’t good most games out imo and never at the business end of the seasonI and I think his poor discipline and his weak defence hurt us a lot more than people want to admit.

Last edited:

Hooked

Juniors
It takes two to tango. You can't blame Hook for everything.
Moylan is just as culpable.
He has been gone over 2 and a half years time to move on.

OldPanther

Coach

Well it is a thread entitled "former Panthers in the NRL" and he was a divisive figure at the time due to his above average skills and all the rumors going around due to the drama between him and Griffin.

betcats

Referee

I do actually hold them both responsible. My comments are tongue in cheek this morning, it is Tom who refuses to assign any blame to Hook despite Hook himself taken on the responsibility in his interview after we parted ways.

Fangs

Coach
Maloney was good overall I think. 2018 was our shot and he was poorly managed fitness wise. He was the best player in the competition pre origin and never got back to that form due to his injuries. 2019 still had plenty of class performances but he ended the season very poorly. Definitely some issues with team management as he and Cleary never were a good combo.

Love Moyza but his career overall has been a disappointment. Massive unfullfilled potential. Only 28 but his injuries have him playing like a 35 year old.